Immigration set to announce automatic visa extensions and suspension of 90 day report

webfact

6 minutes ago, miamiman123 said:

I don’t think the Thai boys here want be in their army! They have BO choice!! 

They have 3 choices.

1. Go to Uni where your exempt.

2. Daddy has deep pockets.

3. It's a 50/50 chance drawing red or black.

4. Do the basics whilst at school which absolves you from the draw.

Edited by Tanoshi

4 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Welcome as it is , I hope they just say reporting is suspended for a fixed time, like 3 months, so that it is easy to calculate the next report when suspension is over.

i am sure it  will be time specific.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

A most welcome news...On behalf of all foreigners in the kingdom, Thank you Immigration department and may the spirit of compassion and understanding will prevail and expand to other departments having to do with your guests in this country...

I have a none imm category 0 visa which expires tomorrow 9th. I've applied for an extension but haven't received it yet. Will the visa amnesty cover me .

1 minute ago, Percy P said:

I have a none imm category 0 visa which expires tomorrow 9th. I've applied for an extension but haven't received it yet. Will the visa amnesty cover me .

You would probably need to get the extension first to remain legal.

And then you would be covered.

1 minute ago, audaciousnomad said:

They are struggling to balance safety and security with their unstated goal of utilizing all those immigration fees as a key revenue source for the govt coffers.  That is why other countries in SE Asia were so quick to grant amnesty....because Visa Fees/Fines/Penalties were never a huge source of revenue for them....unlike here.

100 percent agree.

Its all about the $$$€€€£££

• Like 2

RE - Summary of the “visa amnesty” that Thai Immigration will offer foreigners. It’s just waiting for the PM’s signature:
✅ Everyone who is in Thailand legally will have an automatic 30 day extension
✅ 90-day reporting will be put off
✅ Permanent Residency people can come back late

* That's fine, BUT what about all those holders of one year visas who now are outside Thailand and deprived of the opportunity to return prior to the expire date - do they also get a amnesty in the form of automatic renewal and/or extension?

Edited by ttrd

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

A most welcome news...On behalf of all foreigners in the kingdom, Thank you Immigration department and may the spirit of compassion and understanding will prevail and expand to other departments having to do with your guests in this country...

...guests who are arrogant never waist an oportunity to ridicule Thai ppl and Thailand fail to integrate measure everything in Thailand with western standards and DEMAND to be treated like they own the house.

Some kind of guests...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Your already covered by your application whilst it's under consideration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Except 3 nationalities, a letter of income is still accepted for an extension based on retirement. I personally have done something like 15 this way;

my last one in January 2020.

Of course it can change tomorrow, everything is subject to change here. 

I suppose if the embassies of the 3 countries would again issue L.o.I.,they will also be accepted by Immigration providing it contain the right sentences. 

In my case, the Austrian consulate write : "We hereby certify..." 

Good enough for every I. officer I dealed with. 

The law changed from February forward. You now need about 30 pages of documents from your bank. Takes at least a week, at a cost of around 6,000 baht, paid to your bank. This is in addition to the fees paid to immigration. This is a fact of life here. 

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Are you saying that when I go for my next extension of stay based on retirement the 800k I have in the bank for all the years I have been here will not suffice ?    That I will now have to show a monthly income transfer of 65k for one year ?    I did my last one year last December.

No. I am saying only if you use the income method of 65k a month, you are now required to produce the extra documentation. The retirement visa, with the 800k on deposit is still the same. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - Summary of the “visa amnesty” that Thai Immigration will offer foreigners. It’s just waiting for the PM’s signature:
✅ Everyone who is in Thailand legally will have an automatic 30 day extension
✅ 90-day reporting will be put off
✅ Permanent Residency people can come back late

* That's fine, BUT what about all those holders of one year visas who now are outside Thailand and deprived of the opportunity to return prior to the expire date - do they also get a amnesty in the form of automatic renewal and/or extension?

why? the amnesty is for real emergencies. your situation only brings a little bit discomfort. you can apply for a new one year visa when you travel to Thailand again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kotsak said:

Needless to say that I'll keep doing my 90-days reporting on time (via post) just to be on the safe side ????

I've done my online for years without issue.  Just did it last week and like you will continue just to be on the safe side.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

"to discourage guys from NOT loaning 800,000 to the banks, interest free."

Small correction to be correct…. the 800K give you a interest of 0.50% , paid twice a year (each 6 month's ) , even more than we get in Europe (0 or 0.10% ) and the800K is a 5 minutes hassle free handling if documents complete and depending if others before you

So recommended if you have the 800K and can miss it half for a while  (7 months 400K is yours to use if needed..)

We all roll differently. For me, earning 333 baht a month on a deposit of 800,000 baht, just does not work. Just because of the inane savings interests rates being paid in the US and most other countries exist, does not mean I will subject myself to them. There are relatively low risk investments that pay ten times that. It is a nearly interest free loan to the bank, which turns around and lends your money out for 6-8% interest. 

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The law changed from February forward. You now need about 30 pages of documents from your bank. Takes at least a week, at a cost of around 6,000 baht, paid to your bank. This is in addition to the fees paid to immigration. This is a fact of life here. 

Does your bank have those large glass windows where they can see you coming!

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Hi SpiderMike007,

Can you please provide some more detail on the above.

- What are the documents now required that will take up 30 pages?

- Is this required when applying for the 1-year extension of ALL Non Imm O and O-A Visa?

- Is this mandatory for the three methods available to meet the financial requirements (money-in-bank / monthly income-transfer / embassy income-statement)?

- Do you have a link to a Police Order or other official IO document addressing the above?

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

because Visa Fees/Fines/Penalties were never a huge source of revenue for them....unlike here.

Any data to back this up? Thailand is far from poor lagging only slightly behind Germany with money held in reserves.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There are relatively low risk investments that pay ten times that.

Blah, blah, blah, name one that pays 10 X more and is acceptable to Immigration.

Thought so

Talk the talk, but not the walk...….. mind the end of the plank!

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We all roll differently. For me, earning 333 baht a month on a deposit of 800,000 baht, just does not work. Just because of the inane savings interests rates being paid in the US and most other countries exist, does not mean I will subject myself to them. There are relatively low risk investments that pay ten times that. It is a nearly interest free loan to the bank, which turns around and lends your money out for 6-8% interest. 

That is already a bit more correct , but anyway 5 x more % in Thailand than in my home country , and as I m not American I can only dream of USA interest , Wall Street  bank disaster  (5555) as happened before .

And as I never loaned from Tai bank I don't know it is 6/8 % .

I only see that rule for the 800K as a requirement …, but I liked the combination method the best as it gave more space as the pension coming was like equal to a credit card  almost ( money coming in future , while now it has to be present at the moment by month …)

Edited by david555

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

100.000 x 800.000 baht = 80.000.000.000 baht

the bank only need 10 percent of that in stock and multiply this by 10

so 800.000.000.000 at 6-8 percent interest they get

pretty deal with peanuts they pay for forced 800.000 baht per person

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

...guests who are arrogant never waist an oportunity to ridicule Thai ppl and Thailand fail to integrate measure everything in Thailand with western standards and DEMAND to be treated like they own the house.

Some kind of guests...

guests with big waists, yes that sums up most here.