BANGKOK
webfact

Immigration set to announce automatic visa extensions and suspension of 90 day report

So I am on a visa on arrival. I arrived on 11th March. So tomorrow do I have to do to immigration? Will I que up for 5 hrs and then be told I don't need to come and sent away.

I have never been to Thai immigration before! 

Yes you need to apply for an extension of stay on or before the expiration date of permitted to stay stamped inside your passport.  There is no current information when or even if there will be any other option but keep watching as it will be headline news here when anything is known.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is obvious that the army does not want us here as ex-pats.

Except 3 nationalities, a letter of income is still accepted for an extension based on retirement. I personally have done something like 15 this way;

my last one in January 2020.

Of course it can change tomorrow, everything is subject to change here. 

I suppose if the embassies of the 3 countries would again issue L.o.I.,they will also be accepted by Immigration providing it contain the right sentences. 

In my case, the Austrian consulate write : "We hereby certify..." 

Good enough for every I. officer I dealed with. 

Edited by luckyluke
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Now, they have created new laws. You now have to get a bank history using the income method, and 12 separate statements, including a history of your account, since it was opened. It costs 6,000 baht, to be paid to the bank. Likely a scam that the banking industry established with immigration, to discourage guys from NOT loaning 800,000 to the banks, interest free.

It becomes more inane each year. It is obvious that the army does not want us here as ex-pats. I will outlast them. They will be gone long before I will leave. The youth will eventually OUST them! 

I despise the Thai army with every nanogram of my being. They are vampires, sucking the blood of the nation and it's people.

Are you saying that when I go for my next extension of stay based on retirement the 800k I have in the bank for all the years I have been here will not suffice ?    That I will now have to show a monthly income transfer of 65k for one year ?    I did my last one year last December.

2 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Are you saying that when I go for my next extension of stay based on retirement the 800k I have in the bank for all the years I have been here will not suffice ?    That I will now have to show a monthly income transfer of 65k for one year ?    I did my last one year last December.

No, 800k in the bank is still accepted.

• Thanks 1

I don't really find this to be "news" myself. A foreigner reporting what the Thai government may do? Nothing could go wrong there.

If this decision is severely impacting your life I would NOT be waiting on pins and needles. Just proceed as usual. 

1 hour ago, audaciousnomad said:

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 12.41.45 PM.png

Those words are not worth the paper they are written on. Richard seems like a fine old chap, but why not just make this post....... after the PM has signed...

5 hours ago, jimmjam said:

They dont have a clue about what they are doing. Left it until the last minute so they can drain as much money as possible before the <deleted> hit the fan.

Patronizing comment from someone who is presumably a guest in this country.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Now, they have created new laws. You now have to get a bank history using the income method, and 12 separate statements, including a history of your account, since it was opened. It costs 6,000 baht, to be paid to the bank. Likely a scam that the banking industry established with immigration, to discourage guys from NOT loaning 800,000 to the banks, interest free.

It becomes more inane each year. It is obvious that the army does not want us here as ex-pats. I will outlast them. They will be gone long before I will leave. The youth will eventually OUST them! 

I despise the Thai army with every nanogram of my being. They are vampires, sucking the blood of the nation and it's people.

"to discourage guys from NOT loaning 800,000 to the banks, interest free."

Small correction to be correct…. the 800K give you a interest of 0.50% , paid twice a year (each 6 month's ) , even more than we get in Europe (0 or 0.10% ) and the800K is a 5 minutes hassle free handling if documents complete and depending if others before you

So recommended if you have the 800K and can miss it half for a while  (7 months 400K is yours to use if needed..)

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, john69 said:

Patronizing comment from someone who is presumably a guest in this country.

Its true, its damn true. And you know it.

• Like 1

read again...it is not the law. just a suggestion. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

:coffee1:

Probably needs some form of cabinet approval, however like in nay country they will vote to follow the line (the PMs line). Hope it's today.