Chiang Mai governor orders alcohol ban

webfact

2 minutes ago, rickthailand said:

i think the reason is because they are afraid thais will celebrate songkran.

just look at the dates

rick

Good call! As days all blur, one into another, I hadn't thought about Songkran (which is just a time for me to hidey hole in my condo any more).

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, J Town said:

And do they REALLY believe this will stop the mom and pop stores?

It will slow them down and before it is over stop many.   Usually these stop selling periods are a day or two.  Mom and pop stores can stock enough for a day or two.  This deal is 10 days and it is unlikely that many mom and pop stores have enough foresight and working capital to sufficiently stock up.

55 minutes ago, rickthailand said:

i think the reason is because they are afraid thais will celebrate songkran.

just look at the dates

rick

Thats what my wife says, Thai's wont behave themselves and will still celebrate songkran and drink

• Like 2

Maybe this has something to do with all of those curfew violators, many of whom confessed that they were drinking with friends and lost track of time.

Regardless, I'm pretty well stocked up for weeks.  The new rule says no sale, but nothing about consumption.  So yea, there will be a huge run the next couple of days.

• Like 1

We are in lockdown here in Oz and after years as a teacher in C Mai, I am home-schooling our daughter. By comparison with LOS, we have it great with pure, clean, air. I am not a great fan of our PM, but he has shown himself to be well up to the task in leading Oz during a wartime situation. No alcohol ban here - that would only cause WW4. I am stocked up anyway - just came back from the supermarket in our little country town (I was one of very few wearing a mask) with 2 cartons of my favourite beer (Tooheys) - 30 cans to a box, cost about 1000 baht in total. It's actually on special ! The big surprise (still no toilet paper after six weeks) was they got a load of tins of mushy peas (from the UK) and are knocking them out at 30 baht ($1.50 Oz) a tin. Locals here don't know what they are ! Wifey was happy - only 5 Thais in this town so the asian food section was chockers and I got all the things she needed. They are talking here that this lockdown could go on longer than six months. Hope not ...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

We are in lockdown here in Oz and after years as a teacher in C Mai, I am home-schooling our daughter. By comparison with LOS, we have it great with pure, clean, air. I am not a great fan of our PM, but he has shown himself to be well up to the task in leading Oz during a wartime situation. No alcohol ban here - that would only cause WW4. I am stocked up anyway - just came back from the supermarket in our little country town (I was one of very few wearing a mask) with 2 cartons of my favourite beer (Tooheys) - 30 cans to a box, cost about 1000 baht in total. It's actually on special ! The big surprise (still no toilet paper after six weeks) was they got a load of tins of mushy peas (from the UK) and are knocking them out at 30 baht ($1.50 Oz) a tin. Locals here don't know what they are ! Wifey was happy - only 5 Thais in this town so the asian food section was chockers and I got all the things she needed. They are talking here that this lockdown could go on longer than six months. Hope not ...

Hope you have some proper fish and chips and/or Pork pies for those mushy peas ???? 

Have to disagree on the description of wartime situation, its not even close. If it was, you wouldnt be out buying loads of ale on rations ????

Ban alcoholic during certain times of the day, ban it on trains because a railway employee commited a crime, ban it during pandemic , ban it on public holidays ... Why not just make Thailand an alcohol free zone 24/7 and get it done with !

2 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

I would love to hear the rationale for this move. Where is there any evidence that alcohol increases the spread, more than soft drinks.
We won't hear it because there is none.
Stand by for the stampede to the shops. Will make the queues at immigration look like nothing.

It to stop social gatherings.its obvious.

You are not going to see a bunch of people sat around sharing a bottle of fanta are you.????

• Haha 2

As some have already pointed out it's most probably to do with Songkran and to help curb social gatherings especially during their holiday season.

And besides it's just 10 days.

Seriously, what a whiney bunch of alcoholics. If you can't go without a drink for that long then you still have 2 days to stockup.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1