Chiang Mai governor orders alcohol ban

webfact

3 hours ago, roger101 said:

Another case of stupid politicians passing stupid laws. A few years ago an STR worker was was convicted of murder for raping and killing a girl on a train. Result politicians banned alcohol on trains for everybody.

Does anybody know what the outcome of this case was? I know the worker was given the death sentence, but was it ever carried out?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

I would love to hear the rationale for this move. Where is there any evidence that alcohol increases the spread, more than soft drinks.

This is no doubt due to the incidents where hotels and individuals organised private parties. The rationale is obviously "no alcohol - no parties".

Therefore, less chance of people getting close and violating the holy law of social distancing as espoused by Pope Neil Ferguson the first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

I would love to hear the rationale for this move. Where is there any evidence that alcohol increases the spread, more than soft drinks.
We won't hear it because there is none.
Stand by for the stampede to the shops. Will make the queues at immigration look like nothing.

It has nothing to do with the virus spread itself, but with a lot more people coming together, that could be true! 

... I'm not criticizing what you daid ????it's just a simple reflection  ????

This is seriously way past the subject Corona. What the hell is really going on. They must have seen me drinking a Smirnoff can yesterday at a 7/11 in old town,
thought this was the new concept of a bar now. It is getting very bored now. I'd been gone if i was single.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Expect more of this.... IMO. 

Yes as well domestic violence to go out of the roof by stats. Taking away the booze + forcing people at home is gonna be too much to ask.
Been hearing fights in the village already for days lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

5 hours ago, J Town said:

Again, punishing the masses for the idiocy of the few. I get it, some droogs will drink then break quarantine. They are the few. The rest of us who cope by soaking up some suds then posting ridiculous stuff on ThaiVisa? We know, once again, they haven't thought this through. And do they REALLY believe this will stop the mom and pop stores?

Its when the Mom & Pop stores run out its time to worry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yes as well domestic violence to go out of the roof by stats. Taking away the booze + forcing people at home is gonna be too much to ask.
Been hearing fights in the village already for days lol.

My little paranoid inside voice has been anticipating something like this for years, which is why I can sit it out as long as needed. I DO foresee some societal breakdown as the pressure cooker gets to the boiling point. Not as bad a so many dystopian movies like "A Boy & His Dog" but not far from it. I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of Martial Law being put in place.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

We won't hear it because there is none.
Stand by for the stampede to the shops. Will make the queues at immigration look like nothing.

What good is power if you can't wield it.  Authoritarians need to project their power by denying things to those over whom they laud power.  
Fyi.  After this is over I suppose this guy will remain in his ivory tower surrounded by his guards.  The average Somchai is not going to be happy and will remember.  Blowback's a bit*h.  

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

It is the "lowest denominator game" again

Because a few stupid people gather & drink as a group ( I saw 5 Thai guys drinking  & smoking all together outside a 7/11 last night) with no masks & would not even move out of the doorway for other customers. Mr Governor, this is not about banning alcohol, this is about getting a decent Police Force working & doing their job  

• Like 2

Luckily don't live in CM. But, just like religious holidays and election days, there are usually plenty of shops that ignore the order, and keep selling. Wonder whether this virus related order will be accompanied by harsher enforcement? Would be great to get some on the ground reports, as this nonsensical order will probably spread to other provinces. Anything idiotic is highly infectious in LOS. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

Utterly pointless bit of chest puffing from some very minor politician ... 

There are several different "definitions" of the word "Politician" - I prefer the one that says that: "A politician is a person active in politics,  especially as a holder of, or a candidate for, an elected office".

--  The current Governor was *appointed*. 

Edited by andersonat
  • Like 1

Are they going to ban somtam? Thai people sharing a plate of that as group are far more likely to spread covid, than me necking a beer. Their uneducated over reactions to some things are incredible!

Edited by chrissables
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1