Chiang Mai governor orders alcohol ban

webfact

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

I would love to hear the rationale for this move. Where is there any evidence that alcohol increases the spread, more than soft drinks.

It has nothing to do with the virus spread itself, but with a lot more people coming together, that could be true! 

... I'm not criticizing what you daid ????it's just a simple reflection  ????

So arrest to people who have gathered illegally, not people buying a few bottles to drink at home, difficult to think like that it seems! ????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J Town said:

A school I worked at had a similarly stupid reaction. Two students got caught making "the beast with two backs" in the bathroom. The school admin's response? Lock all the bathrooms at lunch time.

6 hours ago, J Town said:

As rickthailand pointed out: Songkran

So they did it behind the bike sheds like in all other schools

9 hours ago, rickthailand said:

i think the reason is because they are afraid thais will celebrate songkran.

just look at the dates

rick

Quite. CM is famous for its' Songkran.

Songkran = party = booze = drunk = people forgetting social distancing = covid numbers up = loss of face

• Like 2

Here’s to all the [expletive] wowsers, peering down bar maid’s blouses, pulling bulls off happy cowses, looking for stains on young men’s trousers. Here’s to all the [expletive] wowsers. [Expletive] ‘em.

Edited by Mayhem11
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Mayhem11 said:

Here’s to all the [expletive] wowsers, peering down bar maid’s blouses, pulling bulls off happy cowses, looking for stains on young men’s trousers. Here’s to all the [expletive] wowsers. [Expletive] ‘em.

Don't quite follow you old chap.......

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mduras01 said:

Just like that? Well, how about banning burning ? 

The similarity between the alcohol ban and the burn ban is - they are both unenforceable other than a few token arrests.  

This whole Pandemic is a big scam. the death number's are totally tuned up. in Italy  95% of all covid19 death's died with the virus but probably not from the virus. hospital's around the world are advised from the CDC  & WHO to write covid19 as main cause on the death certificate even if the person had existing life threatening severe illnesse's. they all get the covid19 stamp. the attached document is an advisory from the CDC. 

And please read this article from March 26th written by Dr. Fauci for the New England Medical Journal (for doctor's not for the public). he compare's covid19 with a seasonal flu death rate probably 0,1%  https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

Alert-2-New-ICD-code-introduced-for-COVID-19-deaths.pdf

Edited by lovechiangmai

22 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

You would think the only way to cope with the hellish environment of disease and pollution is to drink! - at least he allowed 2 days warning for people to stock up for Songkran.  ????

I believe Songkran has been cancelled (or postponed) this year.  So if anyone's looking for a positive from the COVID, that's it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

I believe Songkran has been cancelled (or postponed) this year.  So if anyone's looking for a positive from the COVID, that's it. 

Songkran as the holiday is still on (children off school etc.).  Songkran as the massive water festival is of course not on ????

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Songkran as the holiday is still on (children off school etc.).  Songkran as the massive water festival is of course not on ????

Have you heard differently?

[Thai New Year, or Songkran, holidays and celebrations, from 13-15 April, 2020, to be postponed until further notice.]

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/03/tat-update-thailand-postpones-songkran-2020-temporarily-closes-venues-with-large-crowds/

On 4/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, dcsw53 said:

I would love to hear the rationale for this move. Where is there any evidence that alcohol increases the spread, more than soft drinks.
We won't hear it because there is none.
Stand by for the stampede to the shops. Will make the queues at immigration look like nothing.

The rationale was based on somebody's social "analysis".  They think drinking promotes hanging around in crowds, or partying.  It has nothing to do with the physics of the virus per se.

16 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Have you heard differently?

[Thai New Year, or Songkran, holidays and celebrations, from 13-15 April, 2020, to be postponed until further notice.]

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/03/tat-update-thailand-postpones-songkran-2020-temporarily-closes-venues-with-large-crowds/

From my understanding the Songkran festival will be cancelled this year rather than delayed but the Songkran holiday period remains in place.  It seems most workplaces and schools are giving this week as a holiday.  So stock up on alcohol yesterday, make sure the internet is working and have fun!   

I'm all for containing the risk of infection during the next 10 days. The very last scenario I want to see is Thailand's daily infection rate matching that of what occured in China by the end of this month. Then we'll all be in the mire, thinking  - under a future 24/7 lockdown - that perhaps it was a sensible decision to limit social gatherings during the Songkran period - which is what would happen if alcohol was freely available throughout.    

• Confused 2

I’m for the ban. Alcohol lowers prudent decision making, and if it reduces one case of covid-19, I say it’s worth it.

People who’ve stocked up can drink at home.  Everyone else can suck it up for the next 10 days.

It will be refreshing to see lower Songkran deaths this year in actual numbers,  The potential lowering of viral exposure can’t be tallied, of course, but I bet a year from now when New Year’s back in full swing, we might wax nostalgic for Songkran 2020.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What if they banned milk because it helps the virus spread.  Then what if they banned bread.  Then banned the internet from 9 to 12 because it lowers our immune system.  Then made us buy special shoes, clothes.......then took money to fight the virus.  nationalized everything.  

at what point will you sheep think???

imagine if there are 10000 viruses about to be unleashed from labs.  This was only number 1 and 2.

luckily for me, i live underwater and i'm taking over the oceans.  

Edited by Ventenio