Covid-19: Foreigners spit on the sidewalk after being denied entry to convenience store for not wearing masks

webfact

1 hour ago, tracker1 said:

Can we have a nationality or is that to sensitive ? I have seen plenty of Chinese spitting just saying

They wouldn't want the Chinese to be upset with them, The Chinese might turn around and say the virus originated in Thailand! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lust said:

There was a Thai guy running just outside lumpini park with no face mask just spitting all over the sidewalk. Does Manager Online want to do a story on this?

nah.  Thais do this all the time.  Any of them that smoke almost always spit out stuff between smokes.  Of course that will not make the news. Beware foreigners. Herd mentality and attacks against Farangs are very likely to become more common.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Logosone said:
40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is wearing a face mask a rule?

Not it's not.

I went into a shop close to where I live, no mask, the saleswoman, young girl, was also not wearing a mask. Was served with no issues.

There is no law in Thailand mandating wearing a mask. Only some shops and some areas have made it a rule, purely on their own misunderstanding of medicine.

There should be a boycott of all stores who refuse to serve anyone. I would certainly not spend my money in some place where they refuse service for any reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I was in a 7/11 yesterday and there was  sweating ill looking Thai guy standing behind me - no mask on, I pulled him about it and he muttered something and left 

as for these louts - lock'em up for a few days and see how that works - but also Thais are not wearing masks - enforce the rules equally 

Video video video ..... only thing that works

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, I understand as I've done a lot of translation work.

But in this case how can a translator confuse "despicable" with "resentful"?

you're asking the wrong person lol

Is there a direct thai translation of those two words - I somehow doubt it - so the translator is likely attempting to find something that is close but maybe not perfect 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Video video video ..... only thing that works

Especially if the apartment office ladies want to see who you have been having over...????????

Times like these they probably enjoy checking out the foreigners on the security cameras...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

Is there a direct thai translation of those two words - I somehow doubt it - so the translator is likely attempting to find something that is close but maybe not perfect 

Yes, of course there are direct translations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

I see this story and then I see pictures and huge lines of people at immigration...hmmm

JOMTIM.jpg.a401dec9626b685371196cd2962e9fe0.jpg JOMTIM!.jpg.17c5f900667cca41f604695dcfb3b314.jpg

Good herd spacing at Jomtien Immigration..                                            

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

It is disgusting behaviour under any circumstances, but common in too many countries.

I am old enough to recall signs on foothpaths, walls and on public transport stating "Expectoring is Forbidden" .

Expectorating was made illegal in Singapore & Hong Kong and probably Malaya, Burma etc, from the 19th century by the British authorities due to rampant tuberculosis. 

58 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

maybe you should just wear a mask and mind your own business

I do wear a mask - what's your point 

I will refrain from lowering the discussion to vague insulting nonsense 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Expectorating was made illegal in Singapore & Hong Kong and probably Malaya, Burma etc, from the 19th century by the British authorities due to rampant tuberculosis. 

Definitely not in Burma any more. The streets in Yangon are red with people gobbing up betel nut everywhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, garygooner said:

Absolutely disgusting behaviour. No excuse for it, foreigner or Thai... Let's hope that everyone is able to get their hands on plenty of face masks. Can convenience stores start selling them outside please. 

I go running around a lake every evening and don't wear a mask. No other runners do, only some people who are walking.

2 hours ago, jadee said:

Funny how spitting becomes a news-worthy story now and not before the outbreak when hordes or zero-baht-tour Chinese tourists would just invade 7-11s by the bus-load. It's crazy how foreigners are penalized for not wearing masks when they're almost impossible to find and buy anywhere! A few weeks ago, I got sick of being stared at for not wearing a mask, then going to a pharmacy and being told - "no have". It was only because of the kind lady who runs the mini mart in my condo that I got a basic surgical mask. 

We have been able to get hold of cloth masks out here in rural Khampaeng Phet sine it started. There are a few shops and places where people make them for themselves and to give away to friends.

The local Pu Yai Ban had some delivered to every house. 

Yesterday in the big village about 80% of Thais and 100% of the farangs were wearing masks, 100% was me and 1 other farang.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

Slightly off-topic; our local Tescos is selling packs of 4 simple facemasks for 40฿ at noon every day this week, on production of an ID card. I'm going to try it today using my Pink Card. I reckon I'll be refused and unable to buy. Let's see!

Well, what a surprise! After reading on here that Tescos wouldn't allow payment of utility bills without a blue Thai ID card, I expected similar for purchase of these masks - 10฿ for 4, BTW, not 40฿ - but I was wrong. Purchase by foreigners with a passport was allowed, according to an announcement in the shop. I tried my Pink Card and, even though the pharmacist said she'd never seen one before, she recorded the number and off I went with my masks.

I wonder whether the 'no bill payment' policy has changed recently.

1 hour ago, Monday Fighter said:

At least this exposes how racist these people really are. Land of smiles...only if you pay.

WOW! First post on ThaiVisa and it's basically a racist rant calling these people racist.

My guess, it is you who doesn't smile so easily.????

• Haha 2

My scan at 7/11 showed up as higher than 38.5, the girl smiled and let me in.  I wonder if anyone has told the girls at the door when not to let people in depending on the scan result. Note self scan was 36.5, really poor quality scanners they seem to be using particularly on hot days.

20 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Still completely beside the subject Donnacha.
The problem comes exclusively from a group of hostile foreigners who refuse to respect the rule.
No mention "Farang".
You are once again the one who stigmatizes with baseless generalities.

Ah, Victor. At such a serious time, why are you wasting time stalking someone you do not know and will never meet?

I understand that you are still très butthurt about my little joke in the thread about how so many crimes in Thailand are committed by Frenchmen, but following me around like this just weird. Please, give me 2 meters here!

Nothing in my post expressed any opinion about the behavior of the foreigners in this particular news report. I don't even know which country they come from (but probably France).

My post is about something more important. A month ago, a story about foreigners spitting outside a convenience store would never even have made the news. I care that something has shifted.

I want to know if this news story is an aberration or part of a new trend in which every minor act of petulance by a frustrated foreigner is going to treated as an affront to the dignity of our febrile hosts and reported widely.

That matters. Your lockdown obsession with me does not.

Edited by donnacha
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Still completely beside the subject Donnacha.
The problem comes exclusively from a group of hostile foreigners who refuse to respect the rule.
No mention "Farang".
You are once again the one who stigmatizes with baseless generalities.

There is no "The rule".

There is a smattering of shop keepers and specific areas that have made wearing a mask mandatory. There is no rule in Thai law at a state level that requires anyone to wear a mask.

The problem comes from a group of hostile Thais who are trying to impose their beliefs on other people. And I stress "belief" because it is not scientifically evidenced that wearing a mask protects another.

https://www.zeit.de/video/2020-04/6146842881001/behelfsmasken-keine-wissenschaftlichen-belege-fuer-fremdschutz

Edited by Logosone