Bangkok and Covid-19: 50 million baht's worth of hoarded masks, alcohol, gels, testing kits seized in two weeks

webfact

Bangkok and Covid-19: 50 million baht's worth of hoarded masks, alcohol, gels, testing kits seized in two weeks

6pm.jpg
Picture: INN

Police in Bangkok along with trading standards and food and drug administration officers held a press conference to announce the seizure of many items of medical equipment and supplies related to the coronavirus pandemic. 

The items including face masks, alcohol, gel, thermometers and illegal Covid-19 test kits were worth 50 million baht. 

They represented the resolution of five separate cases in the period of March 22nd to April 2nd.

6pm1.jpg
Picture: INN

The haul comprised 55,000 test kits, 350,000 masks, 1,200 infrared thermometers, 53,000 litres of alcohol 7,896 liters of pre-mixed hand sanitizer. 

It was either illegal merchandise or was being hoarded and sold at inflated prices. 

Two of the worst miscreants were Chinese nationals Chern and Wern who were caught hoarding 33 million baht's worth of stock at their house in Bang Jak, reported INN.

They and others face jail terms of one year and fines of 100,000 baht. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-08

But surely this could apply to almost anyone selling these items

We were buying 50 masks for 160 baht, what are they going for now ?

Everybody who can find them, has bought large stocks to sell at inflated prices, including Tesco and Makro 

While its not good for the public, it makes good business sense , high demand, increase prices, low demand, lower prices

• Like 1

Yesterday I went to an "everything at 20 Bahts" shop to buy a mask for when on my motorbike.
I have only 950 VT 3M masks with filter and with my full helmet it is too big so till now I only put the mask after taking my helmet off 
But since  all those stories about westerners not giving a damn about masks I thought I will buy a cheap one to drive the motorbike with a mask, 
the mask was 20 bahts, but there was also very small bottles of hand sanitizer, when I say small it means maybe 100ML, 159 Bahts it seemed to me very  expensive?

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

"50 million baht's worth of hoarded masks,"..................................Should be enough there to give one to every Farang in Thailand............

or one quarter of the hospitals that need them

7 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

"50 million baht's worth of hoarded masks,"..................................Should be enough there to give one to every Farang in Thailand............

I think they will think of their own citizens first, as it should be in every country. If you are foreigner here, then you have to find masks by your own. Also as it should be.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:52 AM, Joinaman said:

But surely this could apply to almost anyone selling these items

We were buying 50 masks for 160 baht, what are they going for now ?

Everybody who can find them, has bought large stocks to sell at inflated prices, including Tesco and Makro 

While its not good for the public, it makes good business sense , high demand, increase prices, low demand, lower prices

Doesn't work like that.

High demand, raise the price.

Low demand, raise the price.