Is Syphilis test for Work Permit still required?

I need to get a medical certificate for a new job and I'm wondering if the Syphilis test is still required?

I ask, as Feb last year I started a new job, but I don't recall needing the Syphilis test then.  That was going from BOI to BOI visa/WP, so not sure if that's any different?

New job HR dont seem to know.

Thanks,

Edited by Millian

I always just ask my local place for "Medical for Work Permit", there's always a blood test needed but exactly what for I'm afraid I don't check.

I'm not aware that anything has changed in recent years.

• Like 1

I simply used a local doctor that knows the family, got the paper I needed twice in a month even - nothing other than a basic test.

Guess he at least could see that I had neither leprosy nor elephantiasis ????

• Haha 1

I went to the Doc today for my medical to renew my WP.

Blood pressure, temperature, Oxygen level, lungs (stethoscope - I had pneumonia last year).

80 baht and sorted. Just need to see if the labour office accept it.

No blood test and the STI test stopped more than 10 years ago.

• Like 1

I get the certificate every year for WP renewal. There is a standard form that all clinics and hospitals use. Just go to any local clinic. Any. They look you over (some clinics take blood, some only confirm your name and address), and within 5 minutes you are walking out with your certificate for about 500bht. I wouldn't worry about it. Hospital probably do more.

Just one more thing. I would request your blood type is writing on it. For some reason, the IO caught it missing as a problem one time. But only one time.

Edited by scoutman360
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

I always just ask my local place for "Medical for Work Permit", there's always a blood test needed but exactly what for I'm afraid I don't check.

Agree, the last time I got WP renewal, at Din Daeng, is about 14 months ago (since retired), and the lab report was needed and it did list 5 or 6 items and syphilis was listed.

If anybody is located in the Ramkhamhaeng area I can suggest a small doctors clinic who can do the test and report, 15 minutes, was 400Baht, very pleasant doctor speaks English. 

• Like 1

As far as i am aware it is still on the list of requirements. Got my new medical certificate a month ago and wp renewed. Blood test included 500 baht near interchange sukhumvit/ asoke.

Better check they have not yet added a coronavirus test.

That may be coming next ????????????

Edited by jojothai
Missed some info

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

I work for a BOI company and never been asked for a medical.

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It used to say third stage syphilis. I assure you, no need for tests. It's visible and not treatable.

third stage syphilis is certainly treatable.

But almost no one has it in this day and age. And indeed it can be detected by clinical exam without blood test.

Since syphilis is just as contagious in earlier stages (which are more common) the specification of tertiary makes no public health sense.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Same here. But in the past I wasn't and needed a health certificate - however it was a 10 minutes affair with the doctor and never had a blood check from what I can remember. I did have it when applying for PR and it was a lot more detailed.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Same here but around 2015 somewhere they needed to know my bloodtype...and I had to get the info from a doctor,  me telling them was not accepted 

The blood test came in about 10 years ago & to the best of my knowledge is still required.

They are talking about using specific Hospitals & clinics  only to avoid the clinics not actually

checking you out nor doing a blood test

Every year with the renewal of my WP an doctor certificate is one of the required documents.

I go to my local doctor. He then ask me a few questions, listen to my lungs, looks in my mouth and my handpalms.

That is it.

Walking out with the certificate after paying 100b.

The ministry of labor which was previously located in Din Daeng, now they are moved all over the city.

You have to go to the MOL service center in the district of the company.

They always accepted this, every year the same, document.

The Workpermits I got didn't had the blood group printed, they asked me for the group and wrote 'O' with a ballpen on the WP .

1 hour ago, ThaiExpatTiger said:

I just had a physical exam for WP renewal and yes, a syphilis test is done using a blood draw.

I went to my local doctor, no blood test. 100 baht. The cheapest I had was 30 baht, didn't even have to see the doc.

Go to a private hospital if you want, but they rip you off.

Funny thing was that I gave my doctor a bunch of AA books that he gives to locals.

One of the things he must say is that you don''t have the disease of alcoholism!