Thailand reports 111 new coronavirus cases, 3 more deaths

webfact

Here in Aranyaphret, Sa Kaeo the local hospital has declined to release any figures for the last 12 days but the hospital in Sa Kaeo releases figures most days, how many other hospitals are keeping quiet and would this affect the published daily figures?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dap said:

Gotta ask: How is it possible to have (consistently) 100+ almost every day w/o any of these folk infecting more than one other person? When will the infections exceed the 100+ (not 200) each and every day? I don't get it. Do you and if so, please explain it to me.

Monday and Tuesday were 50 and 38 new cases,  not 100+ ,nobody would know how many the infected are infecting each day but since the number of new cases presenting at hospitial is steady or falling, it would appear, isolation, shutdowns are starting to work.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SwampyThai said:

Here in Aranyaphret, Sa Kaeo the local hospital has declined to release any figures for the last 12 days but the hospital in Sa Kaeo releases figures most days, how many other hospitals are keeping quiet and would this affect the published daily figures?

In theory all the figures are reported to a central database. Whether or not a local hospital discloses their own numbers locally probably doesnt have much to do with the nationwide numbers.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just a few Questions as there is no listing, or is it a release from the tests that have been backlogged...

Or just tests that have not been done, I can't see that when the mass exodus from Bangkok etc took place every town/village in the far flung corners of Thailand were ready or even equipped with test kits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And the number of "Probable", i.e. those that have been tested positive, but not yet confirmed by the two reference labs. It's likely a fairly large number.

If any are wondering why numbers of tests are so low should read this revealing article.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/10901/thailand-says-focused-testing-more-important-than-mass-testing-mass-testing-very-expensive/

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Gosh, really?

I thought they just had a sharp drop yesterday.

Really? How is that rationally possible when you have on average 100+ infected each day? Don't these people ever make contact with anyone else???

20 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

its not possible, the numbers have to be nonsense,,,

I suggest read the article for the answer to the low and constant numbers as they say testing is too expensive.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/10901/thailand-says-focused-testing-more-important-than-mass-testing-mass-testing-very-expensive/

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If any are wondering why numbers of tests are so low should read this revealing article.

Thanks, I was wondering when they'd investigate. The only publication around here that has the balls to dig stuff up.

It's an excuse though, the PCR test at Bamrasnaradura  is 2500 baht for MERS-CoV, which should be similar price to SARS-CoV-2: http://bamras.ddc.moph.go.th/userfiles/Handbook of Specimen collection .pdf . That's very likely the MoPH NIH lab as they are located a stone's throw from each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Thanks, I was wondering when they'd investigate. The only publication around here that has the balls to dig stuff up.

It's an excuse though, the PCR test at Bamrasnaradura  is 2500 baht for MERS-CoV, which should be similar price to SARS-CoV-2: http://bamras.ddc.moph.go.th/userfiles/Handbook of Specimen collection .pdf . That's very likely the MoPH NIH lab as they are located a stone's throw from each other.

It does seem like an excuse as the amount of money being thrown around could easily have gone towards testing which begs the question what the bloody hell can be the real reason for not testing?It just makes my tiny mind boggle.

• Like 1

“We’re not satisfied with this number. We need to pump those numbers up, both the private and public sectors,” Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the Center for the COVID-19 Situation Administration said. “We want to test hundreds of thousands of people. With more tests, we might find more infected, but we’re not afraid of that.”

The tests number that was published, 70k+ was the amount of tests not the amount of people tested, I'm not sure how many people would need two tests or if thats a requirement?

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2020/04/07/thailands-virus-test-number-trails-behind-s-korea-but-surpasses-japan/

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The tests number that was published, 70k+ was the amount of tests not the amount of people tested, I'm not sure how many people would need two tests or if thats a requirement?

Here's how it goes: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/g_cpc.pdf

To be confirmed you do need two tests and they have to be at the reference labs of MoPH and Army, same for asymptomatic cases (that do not coutn as confirmed even wit those two tests positive):

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_en_21022020.pdf

2. Probable case is defined as a PUI who has tested positive for genetic materials of SARS-CoV-2 by PCR from one (1) reference laboratory, or by genetic sequencing, or by culture.

3. Confirmed case is defined as a PUI who has tested positive for genetic materials of SARS-CoV-2 by PCR from two (2) reference laboratories, or by genetic sequencing, or by culture.

4. Asymptomatic case is defined as a person who has tested positive for genetic materials of SARS-CoV2 by PCR from two (2) reference laboratories, or by genetic sequencing, or by culture, but has shown no signs and symptoms

Any tests in private hospitals would still require tests at reference labs, if they are included in the stats at all. And of course they might redo tests. At least all the confirmed have had a minimum of two tests. There is no data available about probable or asymptomatic case count. Or indeed about the amount of tests at MoPH after they deleted the number of pending tests from their reports.

Edited by DrTuner

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Here's how it goes: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/g_cpc.pdf

To be confirmed you do need two tests and they have to be at the reference labs of MoPH and Army, same for asymptomatic cases (that do not coutn as confirmed even wit those two tests positive):

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_en_21022020.pdf

Any tests in private hospitals would still require tests at reference labs, if they are included in the stats at all. And of course they might redo tests. At least all the confirmed have had a minimum of two tests. There is no data available about probable or asymptomatic case count. Or indeed about the amount of tests at MoPH after they deleted the number of pending tests from their reports.

Yes thats what I thought. If thats the case then the actual number of people tested would only be half of that 70k+ figure given. Then there is the possibility that people need further tests if they are still showing symptoms as a result of a false negative test. Result being that yes the number of people being tested is far from sufficient.

• Like 1

I was bored, so I thought I'd see how the death rate of COVID-19 in hot countries compares to COVID-19 in colder countries.

If you don't want to read to the end, approximately 2.6% of all COVID-19 deaths happened in hot countries.

All numbers taken from today:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

08/04/20 COVID-19 deaths per hot country (temps averaging over 20 degrees C between Jan-Mar)

Brazil        686
Indonesia    221
Philippines    177
India        160
Mexico        125
Peru        107
Dominican Rep    98
Malaysia    63
Argentina    60
Pakistan    57
Panama        55
Australia    49
Thailand    27
Honduras    22

Other countries (fewer than 20 deaths) 250 approx

total hot deaths    2157    2.6%

total other deaths    81,488    97.4%

total all deaths    83,645

Edited by nkg
hot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nkg said:

If you don't want to read to the end, approximately 2.6% of all COVID-19 deaths happened in hot countries.

Just for fun, why don't you do the number of tests done in the hot countries vs the cold countries next? And please do tell me once you get reliable data from the 3rd world countries that tend to be the majority in the tropics.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Just for fun, why don't you do the number of tests done in the hot countries vs the cold countries next? And please do tell me once you get reliable data from the 3rd world countries that tend to be the majority in the tropics.

I have no point to prove, I just find the numbers interesting ????

Looking at Australia, who have conducted a large number of tests and have excellent healthcare:

310,000 tests

6,013 total cases

49 deaths

That's 2 deaths per million population, lower than any European country. I'd regard their data as reliable.

• Like 1

Exactly 3 weeks ago - Italy had 569 cases and 8 deaths.

Today 139,000 cases and 17.669 deaths.  And there's a lot more that are going to die yet from that 139,000 infections.

This is what happens when you don't flatten the curve.

You older expats really need to stay inside for now if you can.  Be careful.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nkg said:

I was bored, so I thought I'd see how the death rate of COVID-19 in hot countries compares to COVID-19 in colder countries.

All numbers taken from today:

08/04/20 COVID-19 deaths per hot country (temps averaging over 20 degrees C between Jan-Mar)

Brazil        686
Indonesia    221
Philippines    177
India        160
Mexico        125
Peru        107
Dominican Rep    98
Malaysia    63
Argentina    60
Pakistan    57
Panama        55
Australia    49
Thailand    27
Honduras    22

Other countries (fewer than 20 deaths) 250 approx

total hot deaths    2157    2.6%

total other deaths    81,488    97.4%

total all deaths    83,645

Interesting numbers.  

Just so you are aware, Peru isn't hot.  

I can confirm to you too that scientists remain unconvinced so far that heat has anything to do with transmission rates.  That's so far.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blumpie said:

Interesting numbers.  

Just so you are aware, Peru isn't hot.  

I can confirm to you too that scientists remain unconvinced so far that heat has anything to do with transmission rates.  That's so far.  

Yes, Peru was a marginal one - I included it because it showed average temperatures of over 20C for Jan, Feb and Mar. If I had increased the cutoff to 25C or higher, there would be even fewer "hot country deaths".

I don't have any theory as to why temperature (and/or humidity) would affect death rates so much, but the numbers are startling.

I hope that heat/humidity does have some effect on COVID - it could help to put a brake on the virus heading into the summer months. We certainly shouldn't be relying on this though.

Edited by nkg
hot

I look at the numbers and wonder too.  

The way the news is going around and armchair medical personnel, it's incredible.  

Yes, Peru is never hot.  Other than the Latinos there, it's a cold bleak country.  

29 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

I look at the numbers and wonder too.  

The way the news is going around and armchair medical personnel, it's incredible.  

Yes, Peru is never hot.  Other than the Latinos there, it's a cold bleak country.  

I'm not sure if you are sceptical about the numbers or just interested ????

They can all be found at:

This website reports the daily statistics reported by each country, and the numbers seem to match up with wikipedia and other sources. Lots of interesting data. Sorting the data by "Deaths/1M population" shows which countries have been the hardest hit.