Discrimination at Krungsri Bank

9 hours ago, Pib said:

My experience has been different.  I've done over the counter withdrawals using my US debit card at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank multiple times over the last two years.  Both had a limit of Bt150K at the branches I used.  I asked for Bt160K to get closer to my US card's $5K daily/per transaction over the counter limit (only $1K at an ATM), but the branches quickly responded Bt150K was their limit....I said "OK. that's fine" and then proceed to process the Bt150K transaction.

I have my account at Bangkok Bank Chiang Mai (Meechok Plaza).  My bank limit is set at $5K (approx 15)K) but I can contact my bank to temporarily raise that limit and then go to Bangkok Bank and effect the withdrawal.  Done this any times. Possibly what your branches are telling you is really their limits as set by your US bank.  Try to request your US bank to allow a higher withdrawal amount and see what that does for you.....

16 hours ago, gargamon said:

I have had many different banks refuse to do OTC withdrawals from my foreign ATM card. Even more frustrating is finding a branch that does do it but refuses because my card's numbers aren't  embossed. I have a branch now that accepts my non-embossed cards without issue. It's funny when they get temporary staff from other branches who initially refuse but need to be overridden by senior staff.

And no, I wont tell what branch as I'd hate if they got busy and I'd have to wait...

My debit card is not embossed as well but does have a chip.  I don't have any problems at any bank using it...

From my experience, tellers here have VERY LIMITED, knowledge, training and capabilities.  They can't access accts other than yours at their bank, so transferring From another bank is OUT of the question.  And the response is typical when they don't know what else to say.

29 minutes ago, toper3jr said:

From my experience, tellers here have VERY LIMITED, knowledge, training and capabilities.  They can't access accts other than yours at their bank, so transferring From another bank is OUT of the question.  And the response is typical when they don't know what else to say.

Let['s distinguish what the OP's states as his experience. He/she wrote "Wanted to withdraw from my bank back home and deposit it my accpunt here".  I understood that the OP had a debit card capable to make a withdrawal (or cash advance) at an ATM or OTC, but the teller would not effect an OTC transaction.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I did not consider that the OP's request was to have Krungsri take the responsibility or action to withdraw from the OP's bank without a debit card or was asked to do a transfer from the OP's bank into his/her Krungsri account. IF the OP's intent was to "withdraw from my bank back home" using his/her debit card, I have never had an instance where anyone at any bank here said it could not be accomplished OTC UNLESS that bank did not have the machine inside their branch.  THAT I have come across...

2 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

I have my account at Bangkok Bank Chiang Mai (Meechok Plaza).  My bank limit is set at $5K (approx 15)K) but I can contact my bank to temporarily raise that limit and then go to Bangkok Bank and effect the withdrawal.  Done this any times. Possibly what your branches are telling you is really their limits as set by your US bank.  Try to request your US bank to allow a higher withdrawal amount and see what that does for you.....

The Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank branches I use here in western Bangkok have no idea what my card limits are....no bank branch could know...they have no way of knowing the limit set by your foriegn bank. 

Now if they attempt the transaction and you are over your limit their point of service machine will give a reject...an over limit reject.  Happened to me once when first stating to do counter withdrawals but at that time was using another card that had a $1K limit but I mistakenly thought it was $2K or counter withdrawals and asked for Bt60K.  The bank rep showed me the machine display rejection notice.  I then said try Bt30K (a little than $1K) and that transaction was processed...approved.

When I go in to do a counter withdrawal with my $5K limit card as I handed them card I said I wanted Bt160K (a little less than $5K) and each bank rep immediately said their limit is Bt150K...they had not started the transaction...they hadn't even touched my card yet.  So we went with Bt150K no problem.  And both of these branches are large full service branches.

It may be just the two branches I use.

Well waddaya know!  3 years in Thailand and I have used the ATM machines the whole time never knowing about the cash advance from the debit card option!  I've been so conditioned to NEVER getting credit card cash advances because of the high fees and interest rates that it never occurred to me to try to use a debit card.  I usually just transfer money by wire but sometimes I do need to hit the ATM.  Fortunately for me the company (they are not a bank, it's a retirement fund management concern)  I use refunds ATM fees so I see credits for whatever rate 220 baht translates into for the day.  I did feel little pangs of remorse especially when I made multiple withdrawals for a motorcycle purchase or something but, that's only because they are not a bank.  If it were a bank refunding me the fees like that I'd make as many withdrawals as I could every day, send the money back to get deposited again so I could keep withdrawing and whacking them with fees until they called me up and told me to stop!  (Which is what the retirement fund management concern did so that's why I know that they aren't a bank because that's what they told me when they realized that they weren't making so much on fees from me but my Thai bank sure was raking it in from them!) I don't like banks.  

I have always been treated politely by Thai banks during the 30+ years I have lived here, but then, I wear long trousers with my collared shirt tucked in, shave, comb my hair, and speak politely in Thai. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Slvlsa said:

Has anyone else experienced a teller refusing to do a transaction at this bank. Wanted to withdraw from my bank back home and deposit it my accpunt here but the teller refused and told me to withdraw from a atm than make a deposit or go to another branch.

I suggest you use Transfer wise to enact your transfer

When this all broke I was shunned at a small SCB branch. Wearing shorts and Madras shirt they thought I was a tourist. It was a little bit ugly but I stood firm and told them in Thai I live in Bangkok, married ten years and work at xyz school. They let me in. The service there is always awful at that branch. Wearing a mask too!

1 hour ago, Individual One said:

Well waddaya know!  3 years in Thailand and I have used the ATM machines the whole time never knowing about the cash advance from the debit card option! 

First time I did this in Thailand was in 1995, so the option has been around for awhile.

26 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What's wrong with online banking?

depends how willing the OP is(or not)? to paying the fees for direct international transfers from his home bank?

if it was me, I'd have a trusted family member back home(example Australia) , to do a manual Transfer...

in that if in Melb, I'd get into:

Nathan Thai grocery in Footscray, or

either of Anothai or nextdoor Talad Thai grocery Abbotsford.

All these examples enable direct transfer, getting into target thai bank accouint within then hour; and very cheap to do ... approx AU$5 for upto A$500 / $10 for higher amounts

First of all was at soi bakhou branch  and yes i am serious and how are you to transfer money and deposit it your account from a atm? I maybe a newbie as you call it but bot new here or to banking. Yes i am disabled but still has nothing to do with it 

10 minutes ago, Slvlsa said:

First of all was at soi bakhou branch  and yes i am serious and how are you to transfer money and deposit it your account from a atm? I maybe a newbie as you call it but bot new here or to banking. Yes i am disabled but still has nothing to do with it 

I've never been rejected but I'm under the impression not all bank branches may facilitate e.g over the counter cashwithdrawals on debit cards at any given time. 

I wouldn't assume she was just being rude or discriminating because she was unable to do it over the counter. If you would like to let the Bank know what you think about it, call the bank up and ask why they acted the way they did. To the people who say it's impossible to get a human on the phone or they don't speak English, it's b.s. Maybe it's my tone of voice but I've sternly asked the little non engrish speaker to get a manager on the phone and I'm 100% successful in getting an English speaking bankstaff on the telephone for each and every time I have some issues with the bank. Prob 5 or 6 times over the years.   

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread

He or she is just doing their job and following the instructions from the screen often.  I have this a lot when I changed branches for Krungsri.  While I use Google translate for the conversation, it did not resolve the situation. I was asked for my passport, to write down my home address and to write my telephone number, even though all that information is held on the bank computer. I refused to give the information a supervisor was called, I think they went through to Bangkok and after another 10 minutes, the matter was resolved and payment made.

Thais dont like a confrontation, so I would say stand your ground, ask politely but firmly and stay at the counter till it is resolved.  This is not discrimination,  just left hand not knowing what is happening with right hand.... Forgive and be flexible !!

Has anyone else experienced a teller refusing to do a transaction at this bank. Wanted to withdraw from my bank back home and deposit it my accpunt here but the teller refused and told me to withdraw from a atm than make a deposit or go to another branch.

Yes...the Bangkok Bank branch I periodically do counter withdrawals at with my foreign debit card will not do one for Bt25K or less.....instead they say you must use their ATM.  At Bangkok Bank ATMs that's the max allowed per transaction.   Have tried twice at various times with different tellers.  However, if you ask for over Bt25K then they will do the counter withdrawal with my foreign card...will do up to Bt150K....have done it numerous times.  May be just this particular's branch's policy as I have not tried other Bangkok Bank branches to see what happens.

• Like 1

I find that Ayudhya Bank (Krungsi) is by far the most accommodating bank for cash withdrawals on foreign cards. No withdrawal limit from Krungsi up to your own bank's personal limit. No fee for my US Citibank debit card, but THB220 for credit cards. Used them in many locations (malls and main branches) and never had a problem. Some banks e.g. Kbank will limit how much you can take over the counter. Take from Krungsi then deposit in your own Thai bank like I do. Usually very close to each other.

23 hours ago, dabhand said:

Just arrange via Transferwise, if your home bank allows. Then no need to visit a bank branch and possibly receive more baht for your fx.

In my case a lot of hassle mainly from Transferwise but also from my Thai bank, transfer took seven days from the UK.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:05 PM, colinneil said:

Thats my point, it is always newbies who come on here with fantastic stories.

If i am wrong i will say sorry.

Why do you care are you bored no hobby.

Edited by tomauasia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Jesus....what's "discriminatory" about that?  Is it just that you don't agree with, what could be, the bank's required procedure and fancied a whinge?

No chance they must do. They tried this on me K bank Pattaya. I demanded she did. If was Somchai not a word lol. Muppets 

• Confused 2

On 4/8/2020 at 6:49 AM, Slvlsa said:

There is an amazing internet miracle known as international bank transfers you know