BANGKOK

There's another thread on the same subject but devoted to UK shares, i'm thinking more international.

The markets have turned, perhaps the bottom has been found or even passed, perhaps not. Last few weeks were a horror show (and still are for some) but i have the feeling everyone has gotten used to the new reality and now recalibrated. China has perhaps turned the corner? Italy, Spain and France to follow? If so, US cannot be far behind. Any recovery from here will be measured by the infection numbers and reporting season will soon be upon us. Also, unemployment numbers are going to be scary. How much of that is already factored into prices? Could be there's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm looking at Carnival. This virus will pass in time. Cruising is huge business in the US, can't imagine that Covid-19 will change that. A risky play for sure but how long can they survive a prolonged shut down in their business? Upside in the share price is huge!

Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 12.28.16.png

Uber Eats 

certain they will 'deliver' 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tonray said:

I've taken several Bermuda/Bahama cruises...I could not imagine ever getting on a cruise ship again...stranded in the middle of the ocean with even your own country refusing to let you make port. Done and dusted forever as far as I'm concerned.

I've never been on a cruise and have to admit it doesn't really appeal to me either...but plenty of Americans (and others) love it, it's in their blood. Few years from now all this will be forgotten and the yanks will be flocking back 😉

• Confused 1

Thought I saw on Bloomberg today that Saudi Govt was going to invest substantially in Carnival.  If true that would probably prevent it from going under.

1 hour ago, OneZero said:

Thought I saw on Bloomberg today that Saudi Govt was going to invest substantially in Carnival.  If true that would probably prevent it from going under.

True, they have just bought around 8% of the company. On a negative note, the company has raised billions through debt and equity offerings last week to stay afloat. Also, the US govt. announced they won't be bailing them out. 

The shares are down a whopping 80%...A speculative long term punt

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I am so short this market, I cannot even imagine going long.

Cruise ship companies? You might want to consider buying lotto tickets.

Depends on how you see this crisis evolving...governments have pumped trillions into economies in Europe and the US with probably more to come. That should go a long way in supporting the worst effects of a collapse in demand and probably means a depression will be avoided.

If the infections curve starts to flatten out and fall in Europe/US in the near term as it seems to be doing in China then the pandemic will appear to be more manageable. A spike in share prices will then reflect that.

Glass half full or empty? Good arguments either way 😉

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

governments have pumped trillions into economies

And the world has fallen ever deeper into debt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the short term, I believe Bitcoin and Ethereum will regain value faster than shares, but this year will be extremely volatile for every form of asset, including shares.

At some point this year I will move back to shares, hopefully having moved ahead around 50% (relative to shares) on crypto first.

As a long term bet with decent dividends, I like AAPL. The market never seems to price in the potential of future Apple products but that is what they are, a machine that creates hit products. I can see that they are steaming towards their post-iPhone platform, I understand the space it will occupy, our new future of spending more time alone only makes it more vital.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, donnacha said:

In the short term, I believe Bitcoin and Ethereum will regain value faster than shares, but this year will be extremely volatile for every form of asset, including shares.

At some point this year I will move back to shares, hopefully having moved ahead around 50% (relative to shares) on crypto first.

As a long term bet with decent dividends, I like AAPL. The market never seems to price in the potential of future Apple products but that is what they are, a machine that creates hit products. I can see that they are steaming towards their post-iPhone platform, I understand the space it will occupy, our new future of spending more time alone only makes it more vital.

I have never understood crypto, it's that old 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' yaba. I understand the argument for gold/dollars/bonds in a search for safety but why do you think investors will move into crypto now as opposed to other assets?