Avocados in Chiang Mai?

Cristiancjb

The avocado season has ended in any local markets still trading; however at least one Rimping has imported ones all the year round at a high cost. But if you visit the Rimping Nim City shopping site near the airport plaza, they're now selling - in the adjacent aisle to the main veggies and fruits - a good quantity of 2 large (as yet unripe) avocados for 49 baht a pack. I bought some today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Avocado season is over. Be really careful if you see any avocados for sale at street markets as they are from Myanmar and have been sitting for a while. Twice we have tried a kg. we found at street markets. They look O.K., but when you cut them open they completely rotten inside. So your only choice is avocados imported from the West.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elektrified said:

Avocado season is over. Be really careful if you see any avocados for sale at street markets as they are from Myanmar and have been sitting for a while. Twice we have tried a kg. we found at street markets. They look O.K., but when you cut them open they completely rotten inside. So your only choice is avocados imported from the West.

Bought a couple at Rimping a month or so ago, imported, looked great, cut them open and rotten.

Bummed out cause of the price I paid....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, connda said:

Imported avocados are a <deleted> shoot.  Like all seasonal fruit and veggies, enjoy them while they're here, find something different when they are out of season.  Papayas are on a roll right now.  Arroy.

Papayas are the best this year than I can remember in 10+ years. And cheap as chips now that the Chinese are not here driving the price of fruit up. We get 10 kg. every few days for 150 Baht!

Seriously, just wait for avocados to come back in season. Rimping always has them imported but priced to the moon.

wife bought 10 online and when they arrived and were cut open they were no good and had to be tossed out, no more online buys for us only from the shop where we can check them before buying

On 4/12/2020 at 11:11 PM, seajae said:

wife bought 10 online and when they arrived and were cut open they were no good and had to be tossed out, no more online buys for us only from the shop where we can check them before buying

What online shop was that?

On 4/12/2020 at 10:24 PM, connda said:

Imported avocados are a <deleted> shoot.  Like all seasonal fruit and veggies, enjoy them while they're here, find something different when they are out of season.  Papayas are on a roll right now.  Arroy.

Aaah, but putting papaya in my salad instead of avocado is gonna be soooo disappointing! 

By the way, any good tips for not too expensive salads to make (for lunch/dinner, not like a side dish)? 

The one I used to do was with avocado, boiled egg, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, salad, tomatoes, watermelon, pineapple and dragonfruit (and mayonese, balsam vinegar and lemon and salt)...but all this became a bit expensive in the end to eat for dinner every day, that's why I need some nice suggestion on awesome salads that stil have some proteins

On 4/12/2020 at 11:13 PM, torturedsole said:

My Thai wife is bemoaning not being in LOS for mango season.  

Wait until Durian Season is in full bloom...she may need medication

Edited by tonray

8 minutes ago, Cristiancjb said:

Aaah, but putting papaya in my salad instead of avocado is gonna be soooo disappointing! 

By the way, any good tips for not too expensive salads to make (for lunch/dinner, not like a side dish)? 

The one I used to do was with avocado, boiled egg, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, salad, tomatoes, watermelon, pineapple and dragonfruit (and mayonese, balsam vinegar and lemon and salt)...but all this became a bit expensive in the end to eat for dinner every day, that's why I need some nice suggestion on awesome salads that stil have some proteins

Chickpeas are a great addition for protein. My secret ingredient for salads is seasoned Sushi Vinegar...makes any salad better. Romain or Chinese Cabbage shredded, Cucumbers, Tomatoe, Red Onion or Shallot (soaked in a bit of cold water first to take  away the sharpness), a diced red chile. Tuna, Fried Tofu or Tempeh, any bean really.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cristiancjb said:

What online shop was that?

On 4/12/2020 at 11:11 PM, seajae said:

I will just throw out there 'Bangkok Fruits' who advertise on facebook have sent me multiple batches of high quality avocados. They also advertise the strain, average fruit size per weight, etc.. 

Been impressed by the communication and honesty. A rare well run business. 

I have no connection to them other than being pleased with a fair service. 

• 2 weeks later...