Virus drains Thailand of 8.5 million visitors

webfact

40 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Russia proper is considered white. We are not talking about the far east which aren't really natives to Russia.

They are ethnic Finns on the western side of Ural:

Meyers_b11_s0476a.jpg

We did try to take the land back in WW2 but that went a tad pear shaped.

Edited by DrTuner
got wrong bloody mountains
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

January was a pretty normal tourist month, just wait until March number are out in about 10 days time.

I believe those numbers were for January through March.  At least that's how I read this passing:

the number of international visitors arriving in Thailand between January and March fell by 8.54 million, or 35.3 per cent, to 15.67 million, compared to the same period last year.

Or maybe that was just for February since it says between January and March, so confused now....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am suprised that Australia and UK do not make the Top 15.

I guess there are many reasons why those demographics have moved on to better options to leave whats left to places where Thailand is still considered relatively clean, safe and exotic.

55 minutes ago, DLock said:

I am suprised that Australia and UK do not make the Top 15.

I guess there are many reasons why those demographics have moved on to better options to leave whats left to places where Thailand is still considered relatively clean, safe and exotic.

Many of the tourist from these (and other European countries) would have arrived before X-mas/NY and have stayed 2-3 months (or perhaps even longer now....) but wouldn't be counted as "Arrivals" in Jan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

To be fair, they've probably always included those in the calculations.

Malaysaians/Loas/Burmese coming over the border are being counted as tourists even though most (?) are there to work. That's how I see it anyhow.

That's how I see it too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Well, also when this is over, then you Thais need to very carefully look in the mirror as it will not be business as usual straight away. You will actually have to attract tourists again due to the basic reluctance to holiday so far away plus the nasty reaction to, and way you have dealt with, the nasty foreigners recently. You have to choose between a xenophobic hostile tourist environment that treated those who were stuck here, through no fault of their own, badly plus a nationalist anti-foreigner sentiment kick-started by a cabinet minister ... or a more welcoming Thailand which is what it used to be and made your country what it is/was. Your choice Thailand but tourists aren't stupid now (apart from the Chinese sheeple).

They'll still come as most tourists won't be seeing that kind of news, or trawling this site... not that'd it'd bother them anyway. Once it's died down, only awkward visas/compulsory insurance, gov advisories etc would keep them away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steve73 said:

Many of the tourist from these (and other European countries) would have arrived before X-mas/NY and have stayed 2-3 months (or perhaps even longer now....) but wouldn't be counted as "Arrivals" in Jan. 

Thats a good point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brigand said:

Well, also when this is over, then you Thais need to very carefully look in the mirror as it will not be business as usual straight away. You will actually have to attract tourists again due to the basic reluctance to holiday so far away plus the nasty reaction to, and way you have dealt with, the nasty foreigners recently. You have to choose between a xenophobic hostile tourist environment that treated those who were stuck here, through no fault of their own, badly plus a nationalist anti-foreigner sentiment kick-started by a cabinet minister ... or a more welcoming Thailand which is what it used to be and made your country what it is/was. Your choice Thailand but tourists aren't stupid now (apart from the Chinese sheeple).

The average, "once-in-a-life-time/honeymoon" tourist to Thailand aint going to have any knowledge or even care. They just want their full moon party. Tourists like myself who understand your points will still come back time and time again.

It's the Chinese that the Thai's have got to worry about, they are fickle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Russia is at place 3. Is it not a farang country? China is since a long time number 1.

But only 50%, (or less). Russia i a 'divided' country.

White Russia is west - and 'yellow' Russia is East.

(Part of the older generation's education).

But the 
Western Russians are still 'foreigners.'

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

And when it's all over how about the airfare still extremely high and due to the bad economies everywhere people will not spend on high fares and spend their money on other things like travel

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

These numbers shouldn't be confused with the official TAT International tourist arrivals that are the numbers usually reported and that we discuss re tourism. Those were 3.8 million in January and 2.1 million in February, haven't seen March's yet but I can't imagine it will take long to compile them. The 2019 annual figure of 39.8 million was revised downwards by TAT last month to a 33 million reforecast. I'd suggest that is now grossly optimistic and I guesstimate 25 million would now be an ambitious annual target. 

Edited by kinyara
Wrong figure
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now Thailand is for the Thais what they ever wanted. Just some expats living here still spend their money and feed quite a lot people. Yes name us "dirty farang"!

And visitors coming to Thailand for that the country has to wait long. After Corona the world has changed as it will be a world with Corona for a long time!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

They'll still come as most tourists won't be seeing that kind of news, or trawling this site... not that'd it'd bother them anyway. Once it's died down, only awkward visas/compulsory insurance, gov advisories etc would keep them away. 

Obtaining a Medical Certificate and Insurance which includes covid-19 will keep numbers very thin on the ground.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Today flights are landing from Frankfurt, Tehran, Xiamen, Abhu Dabhi, Doha and Dakha at Suvarnabhumi airport, among many other places, despite the extension of the ban on international flights announced a few days ago.