Virus drains Thailand of 8.5 million visitors

webfact

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

You wait until the 3 months from April 1st are released

Will be looking at 90% down and likely higher. Simply the Baht has to start substantionally weakening against the bench USD.

Still only out to 32.77 currently albeit has been weaker at 33.10 recently

I don't think the baht will weaken much further.  It collapsed in 1997 because it was found that the Bank of Thailand had been concealing the fact that it had almost run of international reserves at a time when Thailand was running a structural current account deficit.  That is not happening this time.  Reserves are healthy and Thailand has been running a structural current surplus for years.  The reversal of the tourism sector, even though it accounts for a large measure of the current account surplus is unlikely to push the current account back into deficit.  This is because imports are also falling rapidly and because energy imports have fallen drastically in volume and price.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Remember when the Sports and Tourism Minister said it'll all be fine by Songkran? I wonder if any journalists could ask him about that prediction now. 

To his defense he did not say what year.just think this will be the end of Thailand as a top tourist destination for a few years .

The stats published by CAAT are the work of fiction. If their numbers are to believed it highly contradicts the official 39.8 million tourists for all of 2019 cited by the TAT.. Must be yet another misunderstanding between govt. departments...

image.png.d785acf8d487f01a6241f4fed8cb530f.png

Edited by Forza2002

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well, this means that lat year Q1 visitor were 8.54 + 15.67 = 24.21 millions. Implies that Thailand welcomed close to 99 million visitors last years. Another big lie somewhere, isn't?

In 2018 the international arrivals for 6 airports in Thailand were 81,145,917, so the number is off, but by no means big lie.

https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf

2 hours ago, Miami007 said:

I agree that 25 million seems ambitious 

Probably 7 million in Q1, maybe 1 million in Q2 as borders are closed and won't open anytime soon.

If there are 12 million in the second half of the year, I would be positively surprised.

That takes us to 20 million. A huge loss but Thailand won't be alone.  Europe will suffer even more

Thailand is reliant on exports and tourism and hasn't had to demonstrate resilience before. Let's see how they are under a bit of economic pressure during a global crisis.

Europe has been through two World Wars which devastated the continent and killed millions of people. They'll be just fine.

14 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Strange that no Country from Europe or USA, Australia in the top 15 arrivals... dirty Farang being erased from the historical records..

Russia proper is in Europe and majority are Caucasians.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Strange that no Country from Europe or USA, Australia in the top 15 arrivals... dirty Farang being erased from the historical records..

UAE & Qatar are hub airports serving European arrivals. Added together makes number 2 position. IMHO.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UbonThani said:

May/june down 99%. The 1% are just made up.

Down 99% and the other 1% can't go home.

Why is this still news? Using January and February tourist numbers to average out the quarter that finished with a full lockdown is beyond stupid.

I suppose they don't realise yet that the whole world is locked down. There are no more tourists going anywhere and won't be for quite some time.

In the meanwhile, a lot of Thai people, including ones in government continue to insult the few foreign tourists that are still here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, johng said:

See how  not one (dirty) "Farung"  country is mentioned they seem insignificant to Thai tourism now..

China  number 1 ☹️

The thing is that many Farang live here and are around the whole year. That is why statistics like these are not very useful. Because migrant workers are also mentioned, who actually take money out of the country, while the long-staying Farangs (by definition) bring in more money the whole year around. The shown statistics have absolutely no value with respect to economic figures. Believe me, I think Farang add 40% or may be even more of tourist income to Thailand. You can easily work out some scenarios. They also buy condo's, rent rooms, pay to Immigrations, maintenance fees, and many more. Chinese and Indian  tourists do not; they come with very cheap bustours, which include very cheap food, may buy a souvenir, but that;s it. Migrant workers sleep with 4-10 in a dormitory and spend no money.

Unfortunately the real economic figures are not shown. it will further change in the coming years as well, when more and more Farangs change Thailand for more friendly and intelligent Cambodia and Vietnam. Who is willing to buy my condo ?????

1 hour ago, Forza2002 said:

The stats published by CAAT are the work of fiction. If their numbers are to believed it highly contradicts the official 39.8 million tourists for all of 2019 cited by the TAT.. Must be yet another misunderstanding between govt. departments...

image.png.d785acf8d487f01a6241f4fed8cb530f.png

Don't forget these arrival figures aren't only tourists. Plenty of Thais flying in as well.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

And farangs wonder why they are so hated by so many Asians...

Yeah it's called jealousy......  You know that box on the immigration form that asks, "Passport valid for which countries" ?.............. Mine says ALL ........... Don't know about yours........ 

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, daveAustin said:

This is figures from countries irrespective of nationality by the looks, including transit points. Looks like they've also included workers/border bouncers from Malaysia, Burma and Cambodia. Makes initial figure look higher? :whistling:

Couple of friends went to attend a Court hearing about their land that a local authority trying to grab from them, while another went in for few days to finish his dental treatment. As for me I went for few days mid January to attend an interview about a tender.

We all live 2 to 3 hours away by plane. We were not tourists but our entry chop will indicate that we were.

Edited by mickymouse1
Finish the sentence

The figures published ignores visitors from Europe, Australasia, or the Americas -- which seems strange.  During ''normal'' times there seems to be far more of this group in Chiang Mai and Bangkok than Japanese, Indians, Koreans, etc.!

I wonder why CAAT decided to compile their statistics leaving out what, in my opinion, is a very large group of foreign ''visitors''!

• Thanks 1

A few reasons why Thailand won’t see Western tourists for a long while. Most European airlines have cancelled flights until minimum June, and then it will be reviewed. No one is going to travel far this year.

Most people will stick to their own countries to help the different businesses that have suffered greatly. Speaking with my friends and on different travel forums, lots of Travellers will give countries with a lot of Chinese a miss for a good while. I for one will be very careful where I book my long haul holiday. Another reason why tourism will not go back to normal, the world is practically in recession, people are not working. Money is not being earned, there will not be extra money to spend on expensive holidays for a good while. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

Thailand is run by Sino-Thai families so you can bet your bottom dollar that the Chinese be will actively encouraged to return ASAP...

Lets all hope that they dont return too quickly, and cause Covid19 MK2

4 hours ago, The Engineer said:

The thing is that many Farang live here and are around the whole year. That is why statistics like these are not very useful. Because migrant workers are also mentioned, who actually take money out of the country, while the long-staying Farangs (by definition) bring in more money the whole year around. The shown statistics have absolutely no value with respect to economic figures. Believe me, I think Farang add 40% or may be even more of tourist income to Thailand. You can easily work out some scenarios. They also buy condo's, rent rooms, pay to Immigrations, maintenance fees, and many more. Chinese and Indian  tourists do not; they come with very cheap bustours, which include very cheap food, may buy a souvenir, but that;s it. Migrant workers sleep with 4-10 in a dormitory and spend no money.

Unfortunately the real economic figures are not shown. it will further change in the coming years as well, when more and more Farangs change Thailand for more friendly and intelligent Cambodia and Vietnam. Who is willing to buy my condo ?????

Agree. And don't forget the Chinese and Indians are not even getting regular handjobs.