PM Prayuth signs order to grant visa amnesty to foreigners in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

It seems that this amnesty only runs until April 30th for those of us who are already in the country.  Today I have seen Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Dr. Anthony Fauci emphasize the we can not assume that virus is beaten simply when the number of infections goes down.   When physical distancing is abandoned, the virus is ready to come roaring back.  It takes longer than a month or two to suppress it.  The amnesty should have been for three months and should be extensible beyond that.   Wuhan is now experiencing a second wave.  That's how pandemics usually work.  They come through in waves. 

What testing is being done in Thailand?  How do we know who is sick and who is not?  A temperature check is not sufficient!  Everyone should be tested with the rapid swab test before being allowed into a crowded public gathering

I can imagine myself out at immigration in early May with a large group of people in which a few may be sick.  They could spread the disease to many of us there.  I think that we should petition for our visa amnesty to last until July.  Which is more dear to us: living in Thailand for another year or our very life?

They have said it would be extended if the state of emergency is in place.

ON the one hand those are good news.

on the other hand this raise the question when and if this corona thing

will end. the announcement mention the 30 april as the date for amnesty. as

if this date is the official date for the virus expiration.

strangely enough, many airlines also suspended their operations until 30 april.

and on the third hand, i wonder what will be the thaivisa world in the post corona

age, and what kind of strange documents and regulations will be

presented by than/

Flight information for those "tourists" who seem unable to return home and need to extend their visas for 3 months (for free of course),

DEPARTING THAILAND
•       Lufthansa: Bangkok – Frankfurt, 3x per week (Monday; Thursday; Saturday)
•       Qatar Airways : Bangkok - Doha, Daily operating until 20 April (Qatar is still flying almost everywhere, including Europe, on a daily basis)
•       KLM : Bangkok to Amsterdam, 2x per week (Monday; Saturday)
•       EVA Airways: Bangkok to London-Heathrow, 4x per week (Sunday; Tuesday; Wednesday; Friday)
•       Korean Airlines : Bangkok - Seoul, Daily (connecting flights to various Canadian and US cities from there via Delta Airlines and Air Canada).

And my (Thai) g/f made it back to Germany with no problems yesterday. She flew Qatar Air from Bangkok to Doha and then another Qatar flight to Berlin. 

If she can do it I'm sure that pretty much every other "tourist" could do the same. You know, if they really are "tourists" and really are trying to get home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, teatree said:

So in your eyes, the bad guys are the people who dont want to travel in the middle of a once in 100 years pandemic.  Whether it is because they are in a high risk group and could die, or because they may unknowingly be/get infected and dont want to pass it on to others, they should be condemned.

The good guys in your book are those that travel in the middle of a pandemic, not only risking their own safety but also potentially spreading death to others by their actions and helping to perpetuate the mess we are currently in.

Ever heard the phrase people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones? 

If you want to get judgey then maybe you should look at the irresponsible actions of your GF before pointing the finger at people who just want to stay put and stay healthy until the whole thing blows over.

Well said, he's Canadian who's tunnel vision about being the best country in the world is very similar to the Thai.

Obviously we all know Scotland is that country - lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, teatree said:

So in your eyes, the bad guys are the people who dont want to travel in the middle of a once in 100 years pandemic.  Whether it is because they are in a high risk group and could die, or because they may unknowingly be/get infected and dont want to pass it on to others, they should be condemned.

The good guys in your book are those that travel in the middle of a pandemic, not only risking their own safety but also potentially spreading death to others by their actions and helping to perpetuate the mess we are currently in.

Ever heard the phrase people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones? 

If you want to get judgey then maybe you should look at the irresponsible actions of your GF before pointing the finger at people who just want to stay put and stay healthy until the whole thing blows over.

Nothing irresponsible about it. The flights are allowed. People are checked. People are quarantined when they arrive. 

If the authorities thought it was that big of a risk, there wouldn't be any flights - period. In or out. Period. Other countries would ban anyone from arriving, like Thailand did. But they haven't (as clearly demonstrated).

And if you believe all those people clamouring for extensions are doing it because they are scared to fly - you need to spend more time reading threads in the Visa and Immigration forum. 

It is a joke how many people want everyone to believe that all those people are "real" tourists though. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 4/8/2020 at 4:50 PM, greggraham said:

Title text: "grant visa amnesty to foreigners"

Article text: "special permission for some classes of aliens to stay in the Kingdom."

Not quite the same is it. 

Tourist Alien......... "Beam me up Scotty"; nothing to see here, just confusion and chaos!  

image.png.2691d26ed498e9166d6e3967fb90e571.png

On 4/8/2020 at 4:54 PM, lovinglife said:

I arrived March 19th. So as things stand I do nothing this month and am automatically entitled to stay until May 16th? Just need to hope the flights are getting back on track by then I guess.

My visa expired 09/04. Went to Hua Hin immigration and were informed I could stay until the 29th April (20 days,) very much short of 30days. I can only hope the trains will be running and Malaysia boarders opened. Heading for Penang.

On 4/8/2020 at 4:50 PM, greggraham said:

Title text: "grant visa amnesty to foreigners"

Article text: "special permission for some classes of aliens to stay in the Kingdom."

Not quite the same is it. 

Same Same But Not The Same ????????????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DreamRider said:

90 Day Report:

Mine is due 26th April, but with the 7 day grace period, that takes me into May.

Unless the amnesty is extended then I am obliged to report??????????????

I think you should just do it online coming Monday (13 April). I just did mine today online and I get the approval within 90 minutes...

Edited by sa2014
Typo

46 minutes ago, sa2014 said:

I think you should just do it online coming Monday (13 April). I just did mine today online and I get the approval within 90 minutes...

Thanks sa. I'll give it a shot. I live just outside my city and so incorporated the reporting with a shopping trip having not had much luck with the on-line procedure before.

***IMPORTANT READ THIS***

BE CAREFUL.  Anecdotal evidence suggests that this only covers people who entered and were stamped with permitted to stay by date after 26-Mar.  Anyone who got here earlier this year, and had extended their stay IS NOT COVERED. If you fail to come in you might get a NASTY SURPRISE that you will need to pay 500baht per day past your extension date PLUS 1900baht for a new extension. Beware. They have sneakily done a #BaitAndSwitch on people !!!

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

The bois at immigration still need to make some cash from this pandemic.... 

They will in spades.  Wait until May 1st.  A mass rush of foreigners descends on Immigration nation-wide and every visa holder who 'got it wrong' gets fined or worse.  Think the pre-announcement lines at Immigration were bad?  We ain't seen nothing yet kids.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:15 PM, Terry2905 said:

Yes! The virus will be gone in 21 days time, bars will be open, every country in the world will open it's borders, thousands of flights will be available, millions of Chinese flooding back into Thailand, life back to normal!

????

Get in line at the shrimp buffet NOW!