PM Prayuth signs order to grant visa amnesty to foreigners in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

31 minutes ago, smedly said:

This is very much aimed at tourists not residents or expats with one exception - those trying to get back before their 12 month permission of stay expires and cannot due to travel restrictions will be allowed to renew even if expired

Only residents (as in permanent residents), who can't return within 12 months will be allowed to return later without losing their permanent residence status.

People on non-immigrant visas/extensions are called "temporary visitors". If their one year extension expires, because they are out of the country, they have to apply for a new visa.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Covid19Everywhere said:

I arrived in Thailand on the 20th of March on Visa exempt.

I did not used my first legal extension.

Do I need to go to Immigration on 18th of April or is this new order giving me immigration-free-time until 30th of April, too?

That is not quite clear - and highlights the problem with throwing in this fixated 26th March date into the mix since most people get 30 days on entry then 8th March might have been more appropriate 

In answering your question - a visit to Immigration may be required as you are outside the date (26th) specified

14 hours ago, justin case said:

call for some kind of union / farang power with law firm has been laughed away sadly by the hard core BOOMERS on this site

my child quickly translated the paper ... not for non-o

only for some SPECIAL kind of dirty farangs, not all of them 

who call other people ALIENS instead of foreigners, says enough

ALIENS is a commonly used english term in law to refer to those that are from foreign countries.  Nothing new, just using standard terminology.  UK has used in law, US has too..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

That is not quite clear - and highlights the problem with throwing in this fixated 26th March date into the mix since most people get 30 days on entry then 8th March might have been more appropriate 

In answering your question - a visit to Immigration may be required as you are outside the date (26th) specified

The 26th refers to when the visa expires doesn't it?  Anyone whose visa expired on the 26th right the way up to 30 April  gets auto extension.

11 hours ago, Zikomat said:

My visa has expired on 24 of March. Then  I got one week extension until 31.03 and then the ‘under consideration’ stamp until 20.04. Am I eligible for this automatic extension or not?

Once you get your extension on 20th you are definitely eligable. We don't know yet if people are also eligable if they don't go on the "report back" date to get the actual extension stamp.

Maybe in the comming days they will clarify this as well, if they don't do it i recommend to visit your immigration office on 20th.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, teatree said:

The 26th refers to when the visa expires doesn't it?  Anyone whose visa expired on the 26th right the way up to 30 April  gets auto extension.

The problem is the use of the word "visa" which is unprecise.

Actually they are talking about the "permission to stay".

If you had a permission to stay until at least 26th March you are allowed to stay until 30th April.

There are still a few cases which remain unclear, one of them being: If somebody had a permission to stay until for example the 25th March. Then applied for an extension, got denied, and was given 7 days to leave the country. The 7 days to leave the country are not considered a regular extension. We will have to see if these people are also automatically allowed to stay until 30th April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha as usual, clear as mud. I am not going to bother with the written Thai order until it is published or available to read at the IO. For now, the English translation given in the article seems to be about tourist and permanent residence. So are expats on yearly extensions regarded as 'tourist' or something in between tourist and permanent residence.

8 minutes ago, teatree said:

I presume the 26th of March, refers to the permission to stay date stamped in your passport.

And that it therefore doesn't matter whether that permission to stay was based on your original Visa or VisaExempt entry, or on an already granted extension of stay.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, justin case said:

call for some kind of union / farang power with law firm has been laughed away sadly by the hard core BOOMERS on this site

Alien is a standard Immigration word world wide

adjective. residing under a government or in a country other than that of one's birth without having or obtaining the status of citizenship there. belonging or relating to aliens:

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The problem is the use of the word "visa" which is unprecise.

Actually they are talking about the "permission to stay".

If you had a permission to stay until at least 26th March you are allowed to stay until 30th April.

There are still a few cases which remain unclear, one of them being: If somebody had a permission to stay until for example the 25th March. Then applied for an extension, got denied, and was given 7 days to leave the country. The 7 days to leave the country are not considered a regular extension. We will have to see if these people are also automatically allowed to stay until 30th April.

Math is hard.  Let's go shopping.  Oh! The stores are closed, what do we do now? 

11 hours ago, smedly said:

so 90 day report still required 

what a croc

Aliens who are due for 90 days reports between 26th of March 2020 and 30th of April 2020 are temporarily exempted from reporting in this period until further notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auto Extensions until 30th April if you current pts date expired before that.

90 day reports not needed only if due up until 30th April.

non 0 or retirement expiring after this date no extension.

So now the 9th, they have allowed 21 days of amnesty, truly stunning how incredibly myopic they seem to be.

Or they have true clairvoyant abilities and they already have the virus figures they will publish for the end of the month and in Thailand all we be fine.

The sensible 3 month extension for all across the board reviewable just too horrendous for them to entertain.

Edited by sapson
  • Like 1

regarding 90 day reports, let's hope they work out how to stagger all the reports due from 26th March to 30th April, to avoid clashing with the normal reports due from May 1st onwards.

Otherwise immigration will be heaving with people once again.

I do not trust the online system to cope with the cessation period correctly.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I presume the 26th of March, refers to the permission to stay date stamped in your passport.

And that it therefore doesn't matter whether that permission to stay was based on your original Visa or VisaExempt entry, or on an already granted extension of stay.

Yes. It is a way of speaking about those who were still "legal" on March 26. It doesnt matter if you were on an extension, 2nd covid extension...

Edited by ANDREW999
  • Thanks 1

Totally got the intentions of this amnesty, but what about after? Hoping that the ongoing situation will get better, if everyone now has a virtual stamp to 30th of April, this means that everyone will flock to immigration causing stress and mayhem once again? And what if here the situation gets better but other countries decide to keep their borders closed or flights will still be on the ground? My guess is that would still be possible to ask for special renewal with the embassy letter option, and I hope is gonna be that way for many stranded people.

Edited by Simon85
Misspelling

5 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I do not trust the online system to cope with the cessation period correctly.

When you submit your 90-day report on-line (can be done in the 15day window before notification due date) and it gets the status APPROVED as well as a new 90-day reporting notification due date, that would for sure be sufficient proof that you are in compliance.

Only when it keeps on PENDING, would there be any need for contacting your IO (by phone).

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:
16 hours ago, justin case said:

ALIENS is a commonly used english term in law to refer to those that are from foreign countries.  Nothing new, just using standard terminology.  UK has used in law, US has too..

I think many here can relate to the term  "case closed" ........ when reading angry posts by someone on this forum 

10 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

That's because Thais frequently work illegally in other countries. Look at the hundreds of thousands of Thais working illegally in South Korea as an example.

It's a false equivalence and a nonsensical argument.

I'm not talking about illegal migrant workers, I'm sure some people in the UK would be more than capable of doing the same thing over here. Just pack their bags and find a job over here illegally so they can live a better life. I'm talking strictly about your average tourists who just wants to visit and see a country for recreational reasons. If your a brit and you want to visit thailand, no problem. If your a thai and you want to visit britain, good luck getting permission.

Edited by Condog97