Theft during COVID-19 pandemic

thaismog

I'm currently in a B and B in Blackpool UK (my house currently rented out). I can assure you that daily I go to the shops and see people just filling their bags with food and just walking out. They'll be easy to spot in a few months though, as they seem to mostly be stealing chocolate

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

But are you seriously suggesting that we should be in complete denial of the existence of burglars in the UK just because we are posting on a Thai expat website? Or is this the reason why we should IYHO only be placing the spotlight on burglars in Thailand as part of some Grand Thailand Demonisation Project?

There are no safety nets in Thailand, more people will be impoverished by the actions relating to the virus, and “Rich” foreigners not only stick out like a sore thumb, they also get little protection from Thai police. So if you are a foreigner in Thailand you should be on heightened alert.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, AlexRich said:

I suppose if you are living in Thailand and know someone who was robbed in Thailand, and you’re posting on a Thai expat website, you are hardly likely to be warning people about UK burglars? 

ok I don't know why that dude posted about UK burglars, but I said what I said because OP had no idea if the burglar really is Thai now, does he? The burglar could be Burmese, Vietnamese, etc. And if there were no witnesses, could also be a European or whatever. I just didn't agree with OP's accusation that it must be a "Thai thief", when he doesn't know jack. 

crime is down in the UK, likely the same will happen in Thailand. 

most crime is opportunistic and people have less opportunities now. Of course certain crimes will go up (like domestic abuse) so make sure you don’t do anything to earn the wrath of your partners!

• Haha 1

More than ever i believe it can be useful to have an image of poor and hapless farang when out and about!?

same apply to your house, Thai people tends to go  after houses and condos who looks "shiny and valuable`"And for not to be deemed a  racist i also believe this applies to robbers all over the world!?Thats why i keep my house looking like a house out of A Mad Max movie!????

On 4/10/2020 at 6:43 AM, RichardColeman said:

I can assure you that daily I go to the shops and see people just filling their bags with food and just walking out.

My friend who works in a UK supermarket tells me that this is a major problem right now. Top management have ordered security not to break social distancing rules in order to apprehend thieves, so, they can just walk right out. The cops won't come anyway.

In some parts of Italy, this same phenomenon led to all shops closing.

In Ireland, the German supermarkets have long had a policy of not bothering to stop a shop-lifter if they reckoned the value was under €100. I would imagine the stores in the poorer areas are now losing a fortune. We will probably end up with an army presence at the supermarkets, probably around the same time they bring in rationing.

Edited by donnacha

On 4/10/2020 at 8:40 AM, AlexRich said:

So if you are a foreigner in Thailand you should be on heightened alert.

Honestly, any foreigner walking around any town or city in Thailand now needs his head examined.

Edited by donnacha
  • Sad 1