Face masks during exercise

What are you guys doing during exercise to making breathing tenable?

I run 5 miles a day but my last run with a face mask was the worst ever, felt like I had serious asthma.

I am thinking of putting the mask over my nose only. These days I run around 4am and police are rare during that time here in Pattaya

Edited by Hal65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I wouldn't be recommending covering your face with any mask while exercising.

Yes they say you have to wear a mask, so wear one, but not over your mouth and nose, if someone sees you, then cover up, if anyone questions you, tell them you couldn't breath and only dropped it around your chin for a couple of seconds to get air in as it is very hard to breath with the mask on.

The above said, assuming your not running past anyone with the mask down, as that would be irresponsible.

I have a cardio machine, best investment ever, not bad air to breath in, no sun to burn me and can watch clips on Youtube when on it for my 4km runs.

Strongly recommend you look into purchasing one, if you can afford around 35,000 baht, the one I purchased was on special, down from 60,000 baht to 40,000, a little haggling and I made sure delivery and setting it up was included.

I have a home gym fully stocked,  a while back i switched to going to a commercial gym but i miss it a bit. Just a few more options over there and a bit of social contact. I got two cardio machines. The rower is the best but havent touched it in a while im a lazy <deleted>. I do my weight workouts but cardio often bores me.

I do walk in the park with weights.. (again havent done it cause im lazy last week was the last) but then i dont use a mask because the park is so empty. Its a park in a private village. If i look over my fence i can see if people are in it or not. I go when its almost empty and there is enough space for people to pass around. Lots of thais (when its busy) dont use masks. I also dont use a mask but only when there is nobody around. 

Just walked the dog (did wear a mask just because it makes some people feel good) but again did not encounter anyone. But i can get it wearing masks in crowded parks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

The poster said he likes to RUN. And obviously he prefers running outdoors. I sympathize with that because cardio machines are so boring that I quickly step off them within 15 minutes. Nothing compares to the beautiful outdoors and the view of our world around us while exercising. I like 4MyEgo's comment to wear one around your chin.

I hate cardio either way.. on a machine or just watching the scenery. I think to each his or her own. Machines have the advantage of doing so in a aircon room and if you like even with TV in front of you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

I hate cardio either way.. on a machine or just watching the scenery. I think to each his or her own. Machines have the advantage of doing so in a aircon room and if you like even with TV in front of you.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer outdoor running as opposed to cardio machines, however there is a madness behind me having a cardio machine, i.e. no soi dogs attacking me, no idiots on the road on motorbikes or cars just missing me, no sun burning me, and of course when it's raining indoors is as good.

I used to love running from North Bondi Beach to Bronte beach, it is a 3km run, and then walk back taking in the views, some absolute stunner doing the run as well. 

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Don't get me wrong, I prefer outdoor running as opposed to cardio machines, however there is a madness behind me having a cardio machine, i.e. no soi dogs attacking me, no idiots on the road on motorbikes or cars just missing me, no sun burning me, and of course when it's raining indoors is as good.

I used to love running from North Bondi Beach to Bronte beach, it is a 3km run, and then walk back taking in the views, some absolute stunner doing the run as well. 

I never really got into running, for me cardio is a neccesary evil. Not really for fat loss but for general health. I just dislike it. Lifting weights satisfies me more. I also got a body that is more build for lifting weights. Though I had to modify a few things as I have an persisting shoulder injury. (first on one side now healed, then to the other side nothing major but enough to make training harder). 

All weight loss (if needed for me) comes from changes in dieet. I see cardio as just good for health.

I am also not sure how good it is for the body running (on knees) but same can be said for lifting weights.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

I never really got into running, for me cardio is a neccesary evil. Not really for fat loss but for general health. I just dislike it. Lifting weights satisfies me more. I also got a body that is more build for lifting weights. Though I had to modify a few things as I have an persisting shoulder injury. (first on one side now healed, then to the other side nothing major but enough to make training harder). 

All weight loss (if needed for me) comes from changes in dieet. I see cardio as just good for health.

I am also not sure how good it is for the body running (on knees) but same can be said for lifting weights.

you should try stem cell rejuvenation for your shoulder injury, mate had it done and he's fixed now.

look for joe rogan podcast with Dr Neil Reardon and Mel Gibson on YouTube - very interesting.

6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

you should try stem cell rejuvenation for your shoulder injury, mate had it done and he's fixed now.

look for joe rogan podcast with Dr Neil Reardon and Mel Gibson on YouTube - very interesting.

Its not that kind of injury, inflamed tendon or rotator cuff injury. Nothing major but painful if i put heavy weights on the bar. So just chaned it up a bit. I had it on one side and it healed. Took some time, now just waiting for the other side to heal. Its not even exercise alone.. but also sleeping wrong will hurt it a bit. But as the other side had the same thing and it healed so I have good hope. 

Just now, robblok said:

Its not that kind of injury, inflamed tendon or rotator cuff injury. Nothing major but painful if i put heavy weights on the bar. So just chaned it up a bit. I had it on one side and it healed. Took some time, now just waiting for the other side to heal. Its not even exercise alone.. but also sleeping wrong will hurt it a bit. But as the other side had the same thing and it healed so I have good hope. 

Stem cell rejuvenation will fix it, watch the podcast. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I do HIIT as it is good for your health and you don't lose the muscles, whereas straight cardio is for weight loss and as you said is hard on your knees, the combination works well for me, as I maintain my weight, muscle and have the lean look, big has never been me.

Agree the diet has 80% to do with it, the HIIT is to stay healthy and keep my muscle as opposed to losing it if I do straight cardio, which would be 40 minutes Vs about 8 minutes at 30 second bursts at maximum speed with a minute or minute and half rest, keep the rate up and that metabolism burning all day.

22 hours ago, Adlincol said:

run outside early in the morning. stay away from other people. keep mask in pocket.

Nope doesn't work, I was out Wednesday 5.30am before the law was enforced and there was an idiot telling everyone to wear a mask

I went for run this morning wearing the common green mask.

I decided to pull it down under my nose then it filled up with sweat making heavier.

I decided to pull it further down under my mouth, I will see if I offend anyone, if so I will pull it up... see what happens on he next run.

Over the many weeks I have had to conform (and so many of you) with the many changes.

First they closed my gym, then the park, now the wearing of a mask, hope things get back to normal soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:31 PM, scoutman360 said:

The poster said he likes to RUN. And obviously he prefers running outdoors. I sympathize with that because cardio machines are so boring that I quickly step off them within 15 minutes. Nothing compares to the beautiful outdoors and the view of our world around us while exercising. I like 4MyEgo's comment to wear one around your chin.

Same same.

I wear glasses and when fast walking up hill my glasses fog up,so i just wear mask over mouth.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 8:19 PM, 4MyEgo said:

I wouldn't be recommending covering your face with any mask while exercising.

Yes they say you have to wear a mask, so wear one, but not over your mouth and nose, if someone sees you, then cover up, if anyone questions you, tell them you couldn't breath and only dropped it around your chin for a couple of seconds to get air in as it is very hard to breath with the mask on.

The above said, assuming your not running past anyone with the mask down, as that would be irresponsible.

I have a cardio machine, best investment ever, not bad air to breath in, no sun to burn me and can watch clips on Youtube when on it for my 4km runs.

Strongly recommend you look into purchasing one, if you can afford around 35,000 baht, the one I purchased was on special, down from 60,000 baht to 40,000, a little haggling and I made sure delivery and setting it up was included.

i have bicycle in my room on turbo.

total price for both 6,800 baht.

Bicycle is Hybrid Trinkx 1.0 bought from bike shop on FB

Turbo bought from Lazada

Great workout, work as hard or as easy as you want, can watch tv the whole time

no dogs, no sun, no pollution, brilliant 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VYCM said:

I decided to pull it down under my nose then it filled up with sweat making heavier.

I decided to pull it further down under my mouth, I will see if I offend anyone, if so I will pull it up... see what happens on he next run.

Over the many weeks I have had to conform (and so many of you) with the many changes.

First they closed my gym, then the park, now the wearing of a mask, hope things get back to normal soon.

your still alive, so stop complaining.  ????

On 4/9/2020 at 9:13 AM, robblok said:

I have a home gym fully stocked,  a while back i switched to going to a commercial gym but i miss it a bit. Just a few more options over there and a bit of social contact. I got two cardio machines. The rower is the best but havent touched it in a while im a lazy <deleted>. I do my weight workouts but cardio often bores me.

I do walk in the park with weights.. (again havent done it cause im lazy last week was the last) but then i dont use a mask because the park is so empty. Its a park in a private village. If i look over my fence i can see if people are in it or not. I go when its almost empty and there is enough space for people to pass around. Lots of thais (when its busy) dont use masks. I also dont use a mask but only when there is nobody around. 

Just walked the dog (did wear a mask just because it makes some people feel good) but again did not encounter anyone. But i can get it wearing masks in crowded parks.

I’ve been convinced for years that the Dutch, sorry, the people of the Netherlands are among the most polite and most social people in the world,(compared to many countries)  and you confirm this in most of your answers ????????

6 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

Turbo bought from Lazada

Yes, I have a bike too inside, one for outside too, but don't use them, I'm a bit of a Princess, too hard ????

7 minutes ago, nickmondo said:
1 hour ago, VYCM said:

your still alive, so stop complaining.  ????

I'm not complaining, are you a Troll, nothing constructive to say?

I was offering information.

I have been wearing a mask for a few months now, never having done before in ten years of biking. Even now I wear mainly from the pollution perspective.

Like the crash helmet, the mask is not specially comfortable, though my breathing is still fine, so I will stick with it.

25 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

Turbo bought from Lazada

Sounds like cheating to me. Like pleasuring the wife/gf while thinking about the Big C hottie.

I use the micro weight method to keep my body in shape. Two 6kg weights is all you need.

• Like 1