Face masks during exercise

54 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

i have bicycle in my room on turbo.

total price for both 6,800 baht.

Bicycle is Hybrid Trinkx 1.0 bought from bike shop on FB

Turbo bought from Lazada

Great workout, work as hard or as easy as you want, can watch tv the whole time

no dogs, no sun, no pollution, brilliant 

Nothing sadder than cycling in your room. I go cycling outside two or 3 times every day,

There is a pm2.5 mask with twin breathing valves designed for exercise in toxic air environments. The valves allow for outflow of breath only (like fish gills) without letting in bad air.  It's as good as you're going to get if you want to exercise during this mess.  The filters and valves are replacable.

I originally bought mine before covid-19 for China business and when we had all those fires in N. California.

ultralight-lifestyle-1__zoom.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:31 PM, scoutman360 said:

The poster said he likes to RUN. And obviously he prefers running outdoors. I sympathize with that because cardio machines are so boring that I quickly step off them within 15 minutes. Nothing compares to the beautiful outdoors and the view of our world around us while exercising. I like 4MyEgo's comment to wear one around your chin.

When I am cycling, I have my mask only around my chin leaving my mouth and nose clear, common sense is more important than anyones laws.

92703870_10220504036244340_9056732408191123456_n.jpg.c6b726a70d738aa029a46dc7a9f875b3.jpg

Seems pretty clear. Your village/moo ban is not your home, it is where your home is located.

So basically, step outside your house onto a soi anywhere, for any reason, you'd better be wearing a mask. 

Don't forget that there are a lot of people who would probably love to call a "hot line" to report someone for not wearing a mask. Think about the recent stories of old foreigners suddenly having a "smart car" show up at their house - because someone in the neighbourhood decided to call the authorities on him.

Poke a hole in it carry a second one on your wrist,  if anyone approaches you pop the second one on over the holey one if you’re worried about getting nabbed for not wearing an intact or correctly fitted mask.

Exercising and reducing oxygen intake won’t hurt you, unless you’ve got other comorbidity issues.
I was a pro athlete once and depriving the body of oxygen during exercise (anaerobic) increases the workout of the heart muscle. Resulting in increased oxygen uptake and oxygen efficiency. Wearing a mask does this.

The high humidity here decreases the Efficiency of the lungs in absorbing oxygen and therefore your gunna breathe with more difficulty and the old heart is gunna work harder.

Different to but achieves a similar effect to training at altitude I.e. when you go to less humid environments you’ll have higher aerobic and anaerobic capacity.
it’s one of the benefits of Muay Thai training here then going back home n competing. Makes it so much easier????????

On 4/8/2020 at 9:31 PM, scoutman360 said:

The poster said he likes to RUN. And obviously he prefers running outdoors. I sympathize with that because cardio machines are so boring that I quickly step off them within 15 minutes. Nothing compares to the beautiful outdoors and the view of our world around us while exercising. I like 4MyEgo's comment to wear one around your chin.

Spot on :I can run for up to 90 minutes outdoors, on the treadmill I have a hard time getting to the 10 minute mark :so utterly boring. 

I tried cycling with a mask on - actually, first I tried a manky hanky.  It's not just the sweat but the humid air you breathe out makes it unpleasantly damp, and presumably a great environment for cultivating bacteria.

So I don't cover my face till I get to where I'm going, then try to wait, fiddling about locking my bike and sorting my shopping bags, until I've stopped breathing so heavily before I cover my face and expose myself to the risk of mixing with others.

I see a lot of people wearing a mask on their own inside their car, which seems like a completely futile, or even counter-productive effort.  But at least there's less risk of forgetting it when you stop and get out.

SC

• 2 weeks later...

Since posting this thread I have not needed to use a face mask while exercising. I run in the early morning, 4am to 5am. The police have only been out once at that hour. I guess it's a slow night for them, with only curfew breakers to try to catch. So they end their shifts early or similar.

If Thailand should go through another lockdown situation in the future, more likely due to politics than another pandemic, this will be useful information to remember.