3BB ONU

NAoZ

Does anyone know what the best ONU or router 3BB has available? They provided us the HG8145V5 with the 1000/500 plan but it seems like it cannot handle moderate wifi loads. I mean it cant even handle 2-3 computers downloading at the same time, not able to reach even 100mbps in total. Before talking to 3BB I was hoping some of you may have information on the devices 3BB have.

• Like 2

ONU is just an ONU. I highly doubt 3BB will send people during corona crisis just to install an ONU.

Tell them to convert your modem to Bridge mode on telephone and they'll do it.

Then connect your router in PPPoE mode and use it however you like. You'll need PPPoE login and password from 3bb. It's possible it's written on contract paper.

I signed a new contract 5 days ago and I have the line from 2 days the download and upload speed does not correspond to what they promise and the contract does not indicate login and password. They provide the same Huawei HG8145V5 trash to everyone there is no alternative.

screencapture-speedtest-3bb-co-th-2020-04-06-21_14_23 (2)_page-0001 (1) (1).jpg

Edited by Nobody55

There's a reason 3BB is basically giving away these routers - they're dirt cheap. Don't expect them to supply you with anything better than bare minimum. If you want a decent router just use the 3BB supplied device and then plug in your own WiFi router via the LAN port. Bridge Mode is not strictly necessary, you'll have a double NAT, but if you have your 3BB username/password you can switch to bridge mode by yourself, no need to call them.

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

I use the 3BB supplied router and i get 900+ Mbps on the 1 gig package, what more do you want?

Excuse me, but have you seen my speeed test? I pay for 1gb package and get 170 Mbps! Would I have the right to ask for more or not?

I've been having problems with the same router. WiFi starts getting weak and dropping connections. Accessing the admin page of the router is then very sluggish. Once accessed I restart the router and it is robust again. Sometimes I need to restart it 2-3 times/day. I'll probably end up attaching another router to the LAN port.

Any recommendations on a good quality router and where to buy it?

Any cheap garbage ONU will handle Gigabit speeds in isolation. If it has a built in WiFi transmitter it is a router ONU. If your WiFi is slow, either the WiFi signal is impeded, the local node ISP side is overloaded, or your client device is a piece of cr@p

As others have suggested, if it is a router ONU, ask the ISP to bridge it and set up your own router if you so desire (they can bridge it remotely, no need to visit your house). They will provide you with the PPPoE username and password. If what they gave you is just an ONU, it is already a bridge.

We have pfSense gateways in all our offices. As such, the ISPs always just give us a bridged ONU, I take care of the routing myself. If you're into tinkering, any old abandoned computer can be turned into a pfSense router (pfSense offer a community edition i.e. free)

Edited by NilSS

On 4/8/2020 at 8:29 PM, Nobody55 said:

I signed a new contract 5 days ago and I have the line from 2 days the download and upload speed does not correspond to what they promise and the contract does not indicate login and password. They provide the same Huawei HG8145V5 trash to everyone there is no alternative.

screencapture-speedtest-3bb-co-th-2020-04-06-21_14_23 (2)_page-0001 (1) (1).jpg

No they don’t supply the same router to all.

I had a battle with 3BB a couple of weeks back, I upgraded my package to 1GB because it was the same price as the 700Mbps package, I complained and they sent round an engineer. Yup, they are still sending around engineers.

He told me the 3BB ONU will only handle 500Mbps, which explains why we both got exactly the same speed test, he advised me to exchange it for a new piece of kit, the shop gave me a HG8145V5, which I took home, and got the same speeds. Another engineer appeared, saw what they had done, apparently that router is only good for 500Mbps even in bridge mode. 

He was a cool guy, he called the shop and surprisingly balled them out in front of me, they told him there were no more routers available so they fobbed my wife  with the only thing they had. To his credit, he turned up an hour later after picking up a HG8245W5 router from a shop that was closed due to the virus. 

Bingo! 950Mbps, give or take, he created a bridging profile, and something wasn’t right as I was getting slower speeds from the Ethernet port of my router. The same engineer turned up the next day, recreated a new bridging profile for the router .. Same speed to my mesh router. I’m well happy.

On 4/9/2020 at 3:03 PM, Nobody55 said:

Excuse me, but have you seen my speeed test? I pay for 1gb package and get 170 Mbps! Would I have the right to ask for more or not?

Use a cable and you will probably get 1gbit. Wifi always sucks, you can't use wifi to determine the speed of an internet connection.

• Like 1