Ellen DeGeneres slammed on Twitter for joking that self-isolating in her mansion 'is like being in jail'

snoop1130

Ellen DeGeneres slammed on Twitter for joking that self-isolating in her mansion 'is like being in jail'

By RACHEL MCGRATH

26939728-0-image-m-49_1586322879628.jpg

Insensitive: She's joined the ranks of talk show hosts doing episodes from home. But Ellen DeGeneres faced backlash after joking that  self-isolating in her mansion was 'like being in jail'

She's joined the ranks of talk show hosts doing episodes from their home.

But Monday's return of The Ellen DeGeneres Show didn't all go smoothly for the comedienne who is self-isolating in her mansion with wife Portia de Rossi.

Ellen has been slammed for being tone deaf after cracking a joke that being home all the time during the coronavirus pandemic was akin to being behind bars.

'This is like being in jail,' Ellen told her fans during Monday's show as she sat in a spacious living room with windows opening onto a large plant-filled yard.

Full Story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8199049/Ellen-DeGeneres-slammed-Twitter-joking-self-isolating-mansion-like-jail.html

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

I think it's more a matter of her not being sensitive enough to know just how difficult the situation is for people. Had she humbly acknowledged how lucky and privileged she is to be surrounded by so much beauty, luxury and security when other are suffering so much, she still could have turned it into a joke that wouldn't have outraged many people instead of it sounding more like another one of the very privileged who always wants more.  

You can think what you want. It all comes down to taking a joke in the right way. People that do not understand that, have a long way to go. There is also not a possibility to walk around on the planet being that sensitive. In that case it´s just to thicken the skin a bit. Some people just have to feel violated for no reason at all more than their fragile ego.

51 minutes ago, Logosone said:

"'Ellen you quarantining in your mansion in designer sweats is nothing like prison,' one Twitter user posted. 

Another tweeted: 'What a great look for Ellen as thousands of people sit in actual jail cells just hoping for the best without soap and basic protections.'"

It's true, despicably wicked insensitivity towards the jailed populace.

Oh, so now we should look up to and have respect for the jailed criminals instead of understanding a joke. Really? Just bear in mind that most of the jailed persons have put themself in that position. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It sounds like something that she would say in a joking manner. It' over the top that ANYBODY would be so thin skinned as to be offended by that and really, to hell with them if they are. 

BTW -- I don't watch her show but I'm familiar with her personality, I'm not defending her because she's a lesbian, I would defend any comedian saying just about anything if it's funny (to at least some people, or at least a sincere attempt to try to be funny). This was about as MILD a joke as I can imagine. Send a memo when she says something actually seriously offensive. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

You can think what you want. It all comes down to taking a joke in the right way. People that do not understand that, have a long way to go. There is also not a possibility to walk around on the planet being that sensitive. In that case it´s just to thicken the skin a bit. Some people just have to feel violated for no reason at all more than their fragile ego.

I think we have to remember that this covid-19 situation is psychologically VERY difficult for many people, and these popular personalities must be particularly careful about what they say. These are not normal times, by any means, and I think we should accept that over-the-top comments are going to be made, and we can forgive people for that, considering that almost no people on the planet have never known anything like this. 

For me, my involvement in this thread really has nothing to do with ED but more with some light being shed on the unusual social situation we're in these days, and the effects it has on people.  

Edited by Inn Between
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Foolish words have been spoken by many people. I have uttered many in my lifetime, fortunately not in front of a camera for all the world to hear. Her comments do not change the world for better or worse.

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, a person is no longer allowed to pose a joke? Seriously! I guess there are a bit too much envious persons on the globe.

She has a very ironical and self deprecating sense of humour.  Often aimed at herself, and sometimes a bit too close to the bone, such as in the recent promo for Michelle O's new book.

I am sure it was a joke, but just inadvisably too subtle for some of us.  She should have known better because no one (and she of all people) ever lost money betting on the lack of intellect of the general public.  

Surely, a stab at black humour that went wrong.

Edited by The Deerhunter

17 hours ago, Amusements said:

I noticed that Ricky Gervais had something to say about these poor old celebs stuck in their mansions last week.

A voice of reason and normality in a world full of the opposite. Thank you Ricky ????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, we all can think what we like. And some selfish rich bitch doing her "show" from her mansion to ensure she keeps earning while millions are in deep financial trouble, living in poverty and dangerous conditions just somehow makes her attempts at jokes somewhat irrelevant.

Each to their own.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, we all can think what we like. And some selfish rich bitch doing her "show" from her mansion to ensure she keeps earning while millions are in deep financial trouble, living in poverty and dangerous conditions just somehow makes her attempts at jokes somewhat irrelevant.

Each to their own.

I don't think of Ellen as selfish. Sure, she's rich. Calling her a bitch is just pure misogyny. Congratulations.

While like I said I don't watch her show she does have many fans and I'm sure some of those fans are entertained by her at home shows. The others can choose not to watch it.

Again much ado about less than nothing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

She has a very ironical and self deprecating sense of humour.  Often aimed at herself, and sometimes a bit too close to the bone, such as in the recent promo for Michelle O's new book.

I am sure it was a joke, but just inadvisably too subtle for some of us.  She should have known better because no one (and she of all people) ever lost money betting on the lack of intellect of the general public.  

Surely, a stab at black humour that went wrong.

People can't live their lives on egg shells worrying about only spouting pablum and never risking offending anyone. In fact such people are in the opinion of many spineless. She did nothing wrong. Period. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Each to their own.

It´s exactly what I am saying. You can chose to get the joke if you wish, otherwise see it as irrelevant. With that said it can not be something to make a fuzz about.