Connect 2nd TV to WiFi

OzMan

In my condo I get Internet from True, a technician came and installed both cable TV and WiFi to the TV in the living room. When I asked about connecting the TV in the bedroom I understood that I could only get one TV connected, maybe a 2nd TV costs more money. Today I tried to connect the 2nd TV to WiFi but it appears blocked, even though it can see the modem and WiFi network. Does True block a 2nd TV in some way or can I buy my own WiFi modem and connect the TV? I own the TV so True is not able to tamper with its settings. I only want to connect to the Internet with the TV, not watch cable TV.

26 minutes ago, OzMan said:

Just checked: 500 baht installation and 100 baht a month after that. Is it possible to use the TV as a monitor through a laptop and get Internet that way?

you can buy a Chromecast and use a phone or laptop to watch television on your TV.

When I read what you are writing I am a bit confused. True does not install cable TV.  All they do is install a small Android box connected with your Wifi modem and TV.  And most TV's do not use Wifi. Some do, but if they do it is not used to watch Thai television. Maybe Netflix if there is a Netflix app on your TV.  "connect the 2nd TV to WiFi but it appears blocked" Seems very unlikely to me...

1 hour ago, uncleP said:

Each tv needs it's own box with true. U may well get the 2nd free or very cheaply. Best call them. 

Calling TRUE? Gese, talk about the worst automated menu...Maybe after five minutes you can reach an actual person...

2 hours ago, dimitriv said:

you can buy a Chromecast and use a phone or laptop to watch television on your TV.

When I read what you are writing I am a bit confused. True does not install cable TV.  All they do is install a small Android box connected with your Wifi modem and TV.  And most TV's do not use Wifi. Some do, but if they do it is not used to watch Thai television. Maybe Netflix if there is a Netflix app on your TV.  "connect the 2nd TV to WiFi but it appears blocked" Seems very unlikely to me...

I want WiFi to watch Netflix. Both my Samsung TVs have WiFi and my main TV uses WiFi to watch cable TV. I disconnected all cables except power and still Netflix worked. Also, on both TVs I can access settings and look at the WiFi settings, they only work on one TV but not on the other. As you say, my best option is to use an old laptop and an HDMI cable to connect the laptop to the TV, then connect my laptop to Netflix via WiFi. All fixed. I messaged True and they said they would give my 2nd TV access for a 500 baht visit fee and 100 baht a month after that. There is another small black box next to the modem that True installed, I assume that controls the TV and they need to come and either change the settings or install a 2nd black box.

9 hours ago, uncleP said:

Each tv needs it's own box with true. U may well get the 2nd free or very cheaply. Best call them. 

This is completely and utterly wrong.  He does NOT need a second box to solve the problem he described.

Can other WIFI devices (tablets, phones, notebooks etc.) connect normally? What is the WIFI signal strength in the room where the second TV is? Are 100% sure of the password?

Are you seeing a specific error?

• Thanks 1

if you can connect the TV to WIFI then you can use your laptop using the True TV website (https://tv.trueid.net/live/true4u) and cast the channels to the TV if they are both on the same WIFI network. Can also use your phone...but the TRUEId app is buggy and the English synching never works properly. Once you login to the laptop site with your TRUE ID you will have access to all your purchased channels

I only see you mention Netflix.  Do you watch any of the channels provided by True?  If not you could drop the True TV service retain only their internet access.  If True only provides internet for certain you could then provide your own router to provide service to both TVs

It's been several years since we've owned a home in Thailand so I haven't kept up with the TV technology in LOS.  Are all Thai channels now delivered over internet to an Android box rather than coaxial to a set top box?

On 4/9/2020 at 12:24 AM, JaiMaai said:

This is completely and utterly wrong.  He does NOT need a second box to solve the problem he described.

Can other WIFI devices (tablets, phones, notebooks etc.) connect normally? What is the WIFI signal strength in the room where the second TV is? Are 100% sure of the password?

Are you seeing a specific error?

Yes, exactly!

He's trying to connect a 2nd TV to the true wifi router, NOT connect a 2nd true-vision TV box.

When I signed up for true internet they supplied a tv box with a smart card that connected to the PON/router with a coxaxial cable (has like 90 channels true-vision, all Thai language) and some hoakey wifi router and both of these got "binned" in the junk drawer!

I connected my own router to the PON fiber box, requested and received bridge mode on the PON and called it a day. I connect one , three or more TV's, android box's, apple TV box's, laptops, IOS * android mobiles, etc, there are no restrictions on the number of wifi connections. Simple, nothing could be easier, maybe....lol.

Edited by i84teen

Thanks i84teen. If I buy a router to connect to PON I can connect my other TV with WiFi and access Netflix online? What do you mean by bridge mode? Although I can connect PCs, iPad, mobile to WiFi, somehow True TV box detects that I am trying to connect another TV and blocks it. Happy to dump True TV as I do not understand Thai at all and only watch Netflix.

4 hours ago, OzMan said:

Thanks i84teen. If I buy a router to connect to PON I can connect my other TV with WiFi and access Netflix online? What do you mean by bridge mode? Although I can connect PCs, iPad, mobile to WiFi, somehow True TV box detects that I am trying to connect another TV and blocks it. Happy to dump True TV as I do not understand Thai at all and only watch Netflix.

I'm more confused now.

If your are simply trying to connect a smart TV to WIFI then your True TV box has nothing to do with it.  It is a smart TV isn't it?  Are you trying to watch Netflix with an app built into the TV or are you trying to use the Netflix box on the True Box?

I am trying to connect my smart TV to the Internet. The first TV that True setup is connected using WiFi. My second TV is unable to connect to WiFi and cannot get an IP address. I just bought a HDMI cable and connected my laptop to the TV, this works OK, so I can access Netflix on my 2nd TV through my laptop.

Leave Netflix out of this for the time being as it is the Internet I am trying to connect to.

5 minutes ago, OzMan said:

I am trying to connect my smart TV to the Internet. The first TV that True setup is connected using WiFi. My second TV is unable to connect to WiFi and cannot get an IP address. I just bought a HDMI cable and connected my laptop to the TV, this works OK, so I can access Netflix on my 2nd TV through my laptop.

Leave Netflix out of this for the time being as it is the Internet I am trying to connect to.

Usually a smart TV just asks for the wifi modem password...I have two smart TV's in the house that are nowhere near the modem that work great.....

20 hours ago, OzMan said:

Hello,

Ok, never mind about bridge mode for now, can talk later about that.

For now, disconnect the True cable box, the HDMI, the ethernet cable, coaxial, everything, and switch it all off. Keep the modem/PON and router (if you have a separate router) connected and make sure you have internet connectivity on your laptop, other devices etc and NOW connect the second smart tv to wifi. See if that works, if it does then maybe the tv box IS interferring with the wifi (but I highly doubt it).

If you do not want the true tv box, be sure to leave it disconnected since it can really slow your internet speed.

Can you show photos of all the true equipment you have, the PON, router, TV box and lets see what we can do to resolve this issue.

Thanks everybody. I worked this out now and my TV connects to the Internet. Not sure what happened as my gf talked with True technical support in Thai. Seems that any smart TV can access True's Internet directly. Should cancel my Pay TV subscription as I only watch Netflix.

• Like 1