Under Consideration for 1yr marriage ext: use agent?

I am under consideration for my yearly Non-O extension based on marriage.

I'd like to avoid going to immigration (=>social distancing). Is it possible to use a visa agent for this last part of the process? (I am aware that the application itself has do be done in person, but this was already done.)

Also, I heard the might want another look at the bank book for the money seasoning requirement - any recent updates on that possible requirement?

Thank you,

Blake

• Like 1

Of coarse you can, but as agents usually quote a price for the whole process, then you'll have to negotiate with them for this little job, as immigration will still want their fee.

But you might want to think about doing it yourself, as its usually a very quick process, and normally they don't need any docs or bankbook etc. And before a number was not needed, just straight to the 'Marriage Extension' desk.

Hope that helps.

6 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Of coarse you can, but as agents usually quote a price for the whole process, then you'll have to negotiate with them for this little job, as immigration will still want their fee.

But you might want to think about doing it yourself, as its usually a very quick process, and normally they don't need any docs or bankbook etc. And before a number was not needed, just straight to the 'Marriage Extension' desk.

Hope that helps.

The last bit is dependant on the office you are using. If you were not told that you need to show your bank book again when you got your UC stamp, your office probably will not ask for it. Also your extension may not be ready on the “report back” date you should call giving the reference number they gave you to check, when you call you can ask if they want the bank book, personally I would not ask, I would have the book with me but would not offer it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

My experience with agents (for a friend of course) is that they don't like doing marriage visas and steer you into retirement visas. They do this by making their fee cheaper for a retirement visa. Their eyes glaze over when you go back to wanting a marriage visa. Maybe the "proper" legal firms tackle this but for a hefty fee I'm sure.

Yep, retirement visa's are far easier for them to do as i was told by an agent last year.

• Like 2

The 'under consideration' stamp in my passport has always said 'must report in person' on the due date.

I suggest O/P that you stop being so paranoid. Public offices are well aware of the Covid 19 issues, it's in their interest as much as ours that they be so and now that the extension debacle has been settled, there shouldn't be a problem at immigration. Wear a mask, wear latex gloves if you wish and go do it yourself. You'll be fine.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback.

Immigration office is Bangkok (CW). 

The visa stamp does indeed say "in person" - I never noticed that. 

I will probably go myself, and bring my bank book just in case.

Giving my passport AND bank book to a visa agent is not something I am considering doing btw ????

Blake

• Thanks 1

Hi Blake. I was in a similar situation. Was poised to bounce to Laos early to apply for a new visa then the borders closed the weekend I intended to travel. So I ended up going with an agent (upcountry) for 1 yr extension. Though, unlike you I had not already submitted required docs. I paid for the entire process. If you could negotiate a reduced fee for only the pick-up that might be a way to go. I applied about 2 weeks ago. And today just dropped off my passport w/ agent. Tomorrow pick it up at agent's office. No need to go to immi. Money well-spent imo in these uncertain times. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 5:14 PM, InfinityandBeyond said:

Hi Blake. I was in a similar situation. Was poised to bounce to Laos early to apply for a new visa then the borders closed the weekend I intended to travel. So I ended up going with an agent (upcountry) for 1 yr extension. Though, unlike you I had not already submitted required docs. I paid for the entire process. If you could negotiate a reduced fee for only the pick-up that might be a way to go. I applied about 2 weeks ago. And today just dropped off my passport w/ agent. Tomorrow pick it up at agent's office. No need to go to immi. Money well-spent imo in these uncertain times. 

I am considering using an eagent foe this mariage extension. Could anyone give me a rough idea of the cost that they charge?

I am based in Chiang Mai if anyone could recommend an agent here that could deal with this for me?

43 minutes ago, wildpikey said:

I am considering using an eagent foe this mariage extension. Could anyone give me a rough idea of the cost that they charge?

I am based in Chiang Mai if anyone could recommend an agent here that could deal with this for me?

Good luck finding one - hopefully eaiser in CM.  I could not find one who would do it in Bangkok.  All wanted me to switch to retirement - which I cannot, because I work here w/ work-permit.  For retirement-based, all I needed was a passport showing I was over 50, and they would "handle" the rest.

On 4/9/2020 at 7:08 AM, Moonlover said:

The 'under consideration' stamp in my passport has always said 'must report in person' on the due date.

No it does not, if the Udon stamp is the same, it actually says “applicant must contact this office again in person on..........”
9D7318D5-1145-428B-8AE5-A319AA2D7017.thumb.jpeg.ad8d2f59d68950d73a7923e5ea748961.jpeg

@blakeX I consider a phone call asking if the extension is complete (so did Udon immigration) to be contacting them in person. It is extremely likely that CW will agree and could save you an unnecessary trip if it’s not ready yet.

on one of my extensions I was told that it was not yet ready and to call back in a week or 2.

the words report and contact are not synonymous.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

44 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No it does not, if the Udon stamp is the same, it actually says “applicant must contact this office again in person on..........”
9D7318D5-1145-428B-8AE5-A319AA2D7017.thumb.jpeg.ad8d2f59d68950d73a7923e5ea748961.jpeg

@blakeX I consider a phone call asking if the extension is complete (so did Udon immigration) to be contacting them in person. It is extremely likely that CW will agree and could save you an unnecessary trip if it’s not ready yet.

on one of my extensions I was told that it was not yet ready and to call back in a week or 2.

the words report and contact are not synonymous.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/in-person

Can I go back to my Kakuro now?

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I am not responsible for the immigration officers interpretation of the requirements or their use (or misuse) of English  

The simple fact is that Udon immigration officers are happy for you to call them and certainly do not require you to go to the office if the extension is not ready. While I cannot talk with any authority for other offices I would not be surprised to find that this is common practice. 

It is even more likely under the present conditions that a call will be accepted or even preferable.

The process is - you hand them your passport, go sit down, and 5 or 10 minutes later they give you back your passport and you're done.  I did this a few days back.  The IOs wanted as little contract with me personally as possible.  They just want you out of their personal space as fast as possible.
Put a mask on - you'll be fine.  

I sent the wife to get mine last month, rang up to check it was OK first, they weren't bothered at all, even asked for the reference number so they could confirm it was ready before she attended. 

Ring them up and ask.