BANGKOK
jimmjam

How easy is it to get an Irish Passport?

I was reading an article about getting an Irish passport if a parent or grandparent was an Irish national?

Im british, my grandmother passed away a few years ago. She was from Ireland.

Does that enable me to get an Irish passport?

Is it difficult to get?

What is the process?

Have you ever heard of Google?

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great-britain/passports/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Straight forward enough, always worth the effort a 2nd passport..

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

I wanted to find out someone else's experience of obtaining one.

😂

Thanks for the link though.

My brother did it a few years ago.  If you have the documents it's not hard.  Getting the documents may not be easy.  The Irish Consulate is apparently willing to take into consideration various intricacies of Irish family life.  For example, my mother's birth certificate has her name as Mary, but her family never called her Mary, but right from birth called her Eileen instead.  She naturalized as a US citizen with the name Eileen and that's the mother's name on my brother's own birth certificate.  So, Mary was born in Ireland, but Eileen gave birth to the American applicant for Irish citizenship.  It would seem to me to be an imperfect record of the transmission of citizenship, but the Consulate accepted it.

• Like 2

Just now, baansgr said:

Straight forward enough, always worth the effort a 2nd passport..

Thats what im thinking, my uk passport gets full within a year with all my non o visas and extensions. Hate sending it off back to the uk and having to wait for its return. Especially if something like this happened while it was in the uk.

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

My brother did it a few years ago.  If you have the documents it's not hard.  Getting the documents may not be easy.  The Irish Consulate is apparently willing to take into consideration various intricacies of Irish family life.  For example, my mother's birth certificate has her name as Mary, but her family never called her Mary, but right from birth called her Eileen instead.  She naturalized as a US citizen with the name Eileen and that's the mother's name on my brother's own birth certificate.  So, Mary was born in Ireland, but Eileen gave birth to the American applicant for Irish citizenship.  It would seem to me to be an imperfect record of the transmission of citizenship, but the Consulate accepted it.

My grandmother passed away a few years ago, so id have to see if my grandad has all the documents still. He is 90 years old, so his memory isnt great.

Plus with this covid crisis i will have to wait any way.

At least they seem a bit lenient with what you have said.

4 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Thats what im thinking, my uk passport gets full within a year with all my non o visas and extensions. Hate sending it off back to the uk and having to wait for its return. Especially if something like this happened while it was in the uk.

How many pages in your UK passport?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

why are you sending it back to the UK.

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

How many pages in your UK passport?

48 i believe, but alot of pages are unusable for stamps or visa's.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, steve187 said:

When you apply for a new uk passport at bangkok, they send it back to the uk. Vfs trendy building. 

Just now, jimmjam said:

When you apply for a new uk passport at bangkok, they send it back to the uk. Vfs trendy building. 

Btw i use an agent, as i live in isaan.

Italian as well. Possible. Fairly liberal at least for US.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve187 said:

I am mistaken, the agent i use keeps hold of the passport and sends it all back to me when the new passport arrives.

Think i need a beer.😂

As long as she didn't give up her citizenship then you are fully entitled. You need her birth and death certificate. Address of where she lived. Contact the Irish embassy. I got mine last year. Took about 3 months.

• Like 1