Popular Pattaya based YouTuber Kev in Thailand passes away

webfact

Kev retired in Thailand many years ago enjoying the laidback way of life Thailand has to offer, what he never planned for was any health problems that he may encounter. By not ensuring any medical Insurance, he was always leaving himself open to financial ruin. A sad loss for any friends & family, however It was his own downfall he couldn't get the right treatment either there or the UK. As far as a gofundme page is concerned, why should Jo Public pay for his treatment? He enjoyed all the perks of living that life while he was Illness free

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You're not correct about the 6 months

He is in my opinion.  It is said to take about 6 months to establish residency and thereby re-qualify for free NHS treatment.  I would be interested to read your source if you could be so kind as to give a link.

5 minutes ago, losername said:

He is in my opinion.  It is said to take about 6 months to establish residency and thereby re-qualify for free NHS treatment.  I would be interested to read your source if you could be so kind as to give a link.

Have a look on the gov website if it's relevant to you now, last time i saw it if you go back with intension to move back long term then you are covered. If you have a serious cancer they aren't going to make you wait 6 months

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigmac1 said:

Kev retired in Thailand many years ago enjoying the laidback way of life Thailand has to offer, what he never planned for was any health problems that he may encounter. By not ensuring any medical Insurance, he was always leaving himself open to financial ruin. A sad loss for any friends & family, however It was his own downfall he couldn't get the right treatment either there or the UK. As far as a gofundme page is concerned, why should Jo Public pay for his treatment? He enjoyed all the perks of living that life while he was Illness free

While seemingly a bit harsh to some, I think you did sum up things factually.  But the gofundme page is optional and up to individuals if they want to contribute.  The general public does not pay for that

I liked Kev, his vlogs were informative and he was a pretty cheerful type. So RIP Kev.

As for his illness, and lack of insurance, I’m not sure that his illness was treatable. I recall at the time of his announcement looking it up and discovering that a person’s life expectancy would be severely shortened. However good your treatment you are living on borrowed time.

But for anyone staying in Thailand long term I think a good insurance package is an absolute necessity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

I liked Kev, his vlogs were informative and he was a pretty cheerful type. So RIP Kev.

As for his illness, and lack of insurance, I’m not sure that his illness was treatable. I recall at the time of his announcement looking it up and discovering that a person’s life expectancy would be severely shortened. However good your treatment you are living on borrowed time.

But for anyone staying in Thailand long term I think a good insurance package is an absolute necessity.

Even in the UK or Australia i doubt very much the doctors could of beat the Cancer.

Both my parents died from it, it went away and came back in Fathers case,they thought they won at first.

in my mums case it was too far quick spread 

its not easy disease to beat,sadly in most cases when your diagnosed its time to stop buying a weekly lottery ticket in advance

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 2

Reminds me of a guy I helped in Pattaya about 18 months ago.  I was asked to assist in getting him back to the UK by his sister in the UK (who worked with my daughter). He was about 56, 12 years in Pattaya and suffering from stomach cancer. No insurance and burned through a stack of money (not sure exactly how much - probably at least £50k) at Bangkok Pattaya.  I helped get him back to UK.  NHS were very good. He arrived back on a Thursday and was admitted to hospital (via A&E) on Friday.  He did get a visit from some administrators regarding his residence status but once they understood the severity of his condition there was no issue. Treatment was given very quickly but sadly he died after a month or so.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

would of been better taking my mum to thailand for treatment it might of either saved her or prolonged her life , 

I doubt it pal. Sorry for your traumas there. But I feel Thailand would have simply tried to make as much money as possible out of the situation. Kev had radiotherapy and then major surgery, all the time being led to believe (or telling us) the cancer was contained.... he was just getting over the operation when more cancer was found and he made the decision to head to UK. 

• Like 1

like many I know, like our kev, life was in the land we know and love. read and watched some of his vlogs. don't blame him for staying here 'til his last days. he enjoyed his life here. and tho' some of us complain about the 'ways' here, home sucks. LONG LIVE PATS XXX

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed his videos and thought a very genuine guy laid back, and topics related to most of us. Sadly cancer in the majority of cases, seems to be discovered at the 11th hour when there is only a possibility of slowing the inevitable.

Hindsight or common sense? Smoking and no health insurance a dire warning.