Schooling what are schools and parents doing/planning?

With the announcement that schools cannot open till 1st July at the earliest I'm interested to find out:

1/ what schools are planning to do, delay the term start or do online learning which seems to be the thing for private schools as they need revenue. If online schooling what discounts are being given to parents? I've seen 40% and 1 free term being offered by some schools.

2/ What are parents thoughts on online schooling? I myself aren't in favour of it for younger kids as I feel they need a teachers presence. Also there are bound to be teething issues with technology etc and motivating children might require parents to babysit their kids whilst learning. Certainly I can see that being needed for my 6 year old and it's not workable for our 3 year old in my opinion.

3/ Home schooling, thoughts on that? I believe this is a preferred option where possible for parents until normal schooling can resume.

I do wonder once Covit is over will the landscape for schooling see a dramatic change? Perhaps private classes from different teachers online instead of one school. I certainly see some change because if you are going to be taught online you would prefer to pick and choose the teachers.

Food for thought...

So far our school hasn't advised us parents of what's happening although they did have summer school online so maybe there's a clue there...... Unsure when we will find out, I have asked....

I was a hired homeschooler for a variety of American children in udon between 1998-2005, grades K-6.  One student per year, 6 hours a day.  Some students were easy to work with, and some extremely difficult. Each student  was enrolled in the Calvert school program, about $1000 per year.  All the students eventually relocated to the US or other countries where they enrolled in other international schools or continued to be home schooled.  The Calvert program wasn't easy... For the students or for me.... But judging by how all the children did after they left the Calvert program, I'd say it was heads above what education they would have received in a Thai school.

• Like 2

My child is attending an international school in Chiang Mai.  After much cajoling, they've decided to offer a reduction of about 3% - essentially the food costs.  The fee increases for next semester are still going ahead.  Pretty poor.

Online schooling so far seems to be setting a bunch of tasks and asking the child to submit.  No video conferencing or even streaming of lessons.  Attending school is very much about social development, so if that can't be provided, a private teacher is likely to be a better outcome.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

In my recent experience over the last few weeks of teaching online it requires all the students (thankfully I teach Y6) to be competent using the software needed and obviously have access to an iPad or laptop at home. All of our Primary students already use these throughout the week at school so that has helped. 

Using Google Suite works very well to set out the daily timetable and lesson objectives. We can record lesson videos for them and the students can then share their work with me and I can provide live feedback. They can also easily work collaboratively on projects together. We had live class meetings for the morning and afternoon registration and also provided the students with three 1 - 1 meetings each week. Having only 15 students made this quite easy to manage and we're continuing this from Monday 20th April. 

The big problems come with the younger students who cannot access tools like that. Our Early Years teachers were pre - recording hours of videos each day to send to parents which is madness. They were also printing hundreds of pages of work each week for parents to come and collect from the school office.

From what I heard from our Secondary teachers it is also difficult for them as they generally teach different subjects and multiple classes across year groups from Y7 - Y13. One of my friends teaches iGCSE history and geography to Y10 / Y11 and IB individual and societies to Y12 / Y13. That is a lot to manage throughout a week when teaching online. 

I am not sure how something like this could be easily implemented into your average Thai school though. I know a few TEFL teachers here so it will be interesting to hear what they are asked to do from May. 

Edited by BobbyL

Just to add, my international school in Bangkok have offered parents a very small reduction for the term 3 fees. They will also be refunding all the money for transport, lunch, after school clubs etc.

Our principal also emailed out before the end of term last week saying they are predicting a slight drop in student numbers for term 3 (we currently have 17 new students meant to be joining Primary at the start of term 3). This drop is meant to come mainly from students in the Early Years because parents feedback was whilst they're at home it is too hard for them to organise and manage the school work. However, I doubt this will have an impact on the company that owns the school as they aren't exactly short for money.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

For what it's worth.

I've been schooling my 4 children in international schools for the last 6 years in Thailand.

As some of you may know, every school is different in how it is funded and run. 

Some are not for profit, and some are privately owned and don't care too much about losing money (to a degree - of course.)

Some are part of major educational entities back in the west or Australia ( like Nord Anglia for example)

The big impact on the schools will be when the middle vein of students (ie - those whose attendance at a school is subsidised by their parents company where they are employees) start to drop out because the companies can no longer afford to stay open due to the CVD19 scenario.

Some big companies are closing shop here already.

The longer this drags on, and the more expat families overseas are affected, the more likely expats are going to want to return home.

This can have a huge impact on international schools.

Ive decided to pull out of paying for international school fees in light of the current scenario - I'd rather pay $4000 to homeschool a year than $30,000 in attending international school, now that my industry has been badly impacted.

We are in unchartered territory, but I dont mind hoping that the school system in Thailand gets shaken up. There are really only a handful of honestly GOOD international schools here, and others are - as another TV member stated, simply cash cows, and the quality of teachers is really appalling.

There are some good teachers and not do good ones in most schools. 

What I don't like is teachers chosen for looks/age rather than quality and experience. This is very common in Thailand. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

Ive decided to pull out of paying for international school fees in light of the current scenario - I'd rather pay $4000 to homeschool a year than $30,000 in attending international school, now that my industry has been badly impacted.

Out of interest, is that just for the remainder of this academic school year or indefinitely? 

50 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Out of interest, is that just for the remainder of this academic school year or indefinitely? 

Well - this academic year is almost over - so I mean going forward. 
One has to see how things turn out globally economically towards Aug/Sep of this year.

I don't really WANT to homeschool, but hey - there are positives and negatives to every situation, we just have to make the best of it!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BobbyL said:

That definitely is not common in any 'real' international school that is fully western managed. If anything, being young and single is a major hindrance when applying. They want experience and what looks like reliability. 

Edit: The only thing I have found in my experience is a favour towards hiring females. For example, our Early Years department only hire women. 

Wouldn't get away with that in England, they would have you up on discrimination charges.

Our sons school demanded payment before the sh¡÷ hit the fan and have said nothing since regarding money, I'm not holding my breath either, we pay a basic fee for the term and ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING is extra throughout the term. 

The school has mentioned that next term will start in July and that year's 1(7) & 4(10) will have to do their introductory classes online. 

So, we've been had, nothing we can do now, just pray, wai & back off, hoping we don't get a steel toe boot up the ar3e

• Sad 1

My son goes to a private, bilingual school - 70% English and 30% Thai.  The school follows the Thai curriculum, and all subjects taught in English - 70% - have credentialed, native speaking teachers.  The school is not inexpensive - just slightly less than an international school.  I chose to send my son there rather than an international school because he is Thai and international schools do a very poor job of teaching Thai.  He needs to be able to read and write Thai fluently, skills that many Thais who attend international schools lack.  So far, we have heard nothing from the school regarding fees or online courses, which I am against by the way.  That said, I am not willing to pay even half the normal tuition if the school wants to do online instruction.  The school can simply adapt their schedule by eliminating the term break and finishing the year a few weeks later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that parents should consider a move towards their children learning online given the threat to health of crowded venues and also the benefits of becoming more technology minded will pay off later as well - my thoughts were where they could contact teachers available to work online and cut out the middle man - the Thai schools who are foussed on keeping the business for themselves and create obstacles for foreigners to offer their skills

English teacher 20 years exp

14 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

My son goes to a private, bilingual school - 70% English and 30% Thai.  The school follows the Thai curriculum, and all subjects taught in English - 70% - have credentialed, native speaking teachers.  The school is not inexpensive - just slightly less than an international school.  I chose to send my son there rather than an international school because he is Thai and international schools do a very poor job of teaching Thai.  He needs to be able to read and write Thai fluently, skills that many Thais who attend international schools lack.  So far, we have heard nothing from the school regarding fees or online courses, which I am against by the way.  That said, I am not willing to pay even half the normal tuition if the school wants to do online instruction.  The school can simply adapt their schedule by eliminating the term break and finishing the year a few weeks later.

Agree. Not keen on online at all you can do it yourself for free especially big no live or limited online teaching. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JGV said:

I think that parents should consider a move towards their children learning online given the threat to health of crowded venues and also the benefits of becoming more technology minded will pay off later as well - my thoughts were where they could contact teachers available to work online and cut out the middle man - the Thai schools who are foussed on keeping the business for themselves and create obstacles for foreigners to offer their skills

English teacher 20 years exp

I don't mind online for a limited period if the standard is the same as was taught in the classroom and the same live teacher interaction. Anything less in my opinion is weakening their education and should absolutely not be the same price as normal school. Charging the same isn't fair and I suspect will lead parents to homeschool.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:26 PM, stament said:

I don't mind online for a limited period if the standard is the same as was taught in the classroom and the same live teacher interaction. Anything less in my opinion is weakening their education and should absolutely not be the same price as normal school. Charging the same isn't fair and I suspect will lead parents to homeschool.

Agree

like another poster said - They will probably only set a task, ie: complete pages 1,2,3 

You really need video link up to teach

& on the finance side I think they have a hide to ask for the full fees EG: wheres the reduction for NO, food - Medical Ins - Local excursions & maybe ect ect 

On 4/10/2020 at 2:50 PM, MaiDong said:

Our sons school demanded payment before the sh¡÷ hit the fan and have said nothing since regarding money, I'm not holding my breath either, we pay a basic fee for the term and ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING is extra throughout the term. 

The school has mentioned that next term will start in July and that year's 1(7) & 4(10) will have to do their introductory classes online. 

So, we've been had, nothing we can do now, just pray, wai & back off, hoping we don't get a steel toe boot up the ar3e

That would be like a restaurant demanding you pay when you walk in, when you know they don't have any food in the kitchen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

International Schools charge thus:

Tuition Fees

Registration fees

Capital Fees

Separately Charged:

Lunch 

Extra-curricular

Excursions 

Some sports

So you can rightfully ask for refunds for anything paid in advance for the last semester which has been badly affected by CVD19.
One might expect refunds for excursions aid for in advance - expect a credit against future invoices for lunches

The main thing is this:

WHY pay international school fees for a a crappily executed course ONLINE from your school in Thailand when you could pay $1000 for the best homeschool package which you can complete online and move your kids onwards with their education.

If you are not going on campus and having all the extra benefits of going to school physically, I'd stop paying for international school.

I know that's how I'm doing it, and I'm looking forward to enjoying a freedom in my finances I havent had for a good few years.

I understand & sounds good, may have to talk to wife & see if son can use computer to that degree

Not quite International

Thai private school in Korat only about 515 kids 18 in sons class (good )

It has some international classes in certain grades 

• Like 1

As a matter of interest is there any information when international schools in Bangkok will likely re-open? Thai schools will open on July 1st but international schools are given latitude on opening dates - some are speculating on early May.That seems too soon to me, but who knows?

So any info out there on the plans of Harrow,Bangkok Patana, Shrewsbury,ISB, Brighton, St Andrews etc?

Thai schools and International schools have different term dates. The school closures are about preventing the spread of Covid 19. I teach at an International school and there is no news at the moment about reopening. It's online teaching from April 20th until we hear from the ministry of education. I would expect all schools to reopen at the same time. They might try a staggered approach like they have done in many European countries with primary schools reopening 1st.

I don't know what if anything the Thai schools plan to do. But I have been doing daily lessons (about 2 - 2 1/2 hours a day) for the daughter of my Cambodian house staff -- English lessons and math.

Found a lot of great online resources which I print out and use. I don't have her work online, I just find the resources (stories, vocabulary exercises, math worksheets etc) and print them out for our use.

And despite my having no teaching experience or particular aptitude for it, it is going great and frankly I think she has already learned more English and math in our sessions than she would in 1-2 years of school.  (She is very, very bright). We started with her knowing just grade 2 math (basic multiplication tables, single digit operations) and have since mastered multi-digit operations , long division, fractions, and decimals. As for English, from just a few words she has now read her way through about 8 short books  and can do written exercises well, still shy on speaking but it's getting better.

Of course not all kids are this bright and motivated. And it does take some investment of time, but with lockdown most of us have plenty of that....

• Like 2

P.S. some of the sites I have found very useful:

https://www.k5learning.com/free-worksheets-for-kids

(math and English)

http://www.clarkness.com/

(easy stories in English)

https://esl-kids.com/worksheets/worksheets.html

(beginner level English)

https://www.math-drills.com/

https://www.dadsworksheets.com/worksheets.html

(math)

https://en.islcollective.com/

(English - great worksheets)

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 9:55 PM, BobbyL said:

If anything, being young and single is a major hindrance when applying.

I'm a new hire at a BKK international school. I believe emphasizing my Thai wife and length of our relationship certainly helped in me landing the job. I'm certainly not the best looking. ????

I've been told to expect to be working next month. If the kids aren't yet allowed back, then we'll be conducting online lessons. I have experience with remote work and large teams in my previous profession, and while it has drawbacks, certainly isn't impossible.

In my previous experience working in Thai schools, there were also many instances resembling remote work, such as when students gradually made it to the office to submit their work, only for us to go back and forth again revising it. Nor did many choose to participate in our in-class Q&A sessions, leaving us to conduct these via our Line groups. I expect the transition to this Covid-19 educational situation to result in much of the same.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, stament said:

There are pros and cons to online teaching. If I'm required to teach online in July I will use the program Zoom to make a conference call with my students. This has an interactive whiteboard that the students can write on. You can also share your desktop with the students - useful for me as I teach maths and can show them graphing programs liek geogebra. I can also have a completely silent class while I'm teaching - put them all on mute until it's question time! Work can be given and submitted using google classroom. The difficult part will be the self-motivation of students to work remotely.

• 3 weeks later...

Our international school, as I assume all, is online only now for the rest of the term.  Online schooling is going poorly...

It's basically full time supervision from me to ensure my child attends zoom meetings and complete tasks.  I'm now only insisting he attends the core subjects, such as maths and languages.  They have online classes for art, drama and PE(!) as well but they're an utter waste of time, so I let him choose if he wants to attend or not.

There is zero doubt in my mind a dedicated paid tutor would be much better value.  He'd achieve vastly more in 2 hours of private tutoring a day than in the 6 hours of fluffing around!

School continues to refuse to refund any fees beyond the meal costs.  They just keep coming back to parents and saying that they'll lose money if they refund any fees.  We're not getting even close to what we paid for, so it completely baffles me that they think it's acceptable that we prop up their for-profit school!

• Like 1