BANGKOK
2long

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining. What's yours?

My younger daughter and I were booked to go to the UK for 5 weeks, which was of course cancelled.

We're stuck at home, like most of the rest of the country... and the world. But every cloud has a silver lining and ours is that in addition to lots of family time, I'm able to teach my elder daughter to drive, as well as exercise lots with and without her... because we both need to shed some weight.

What are your silver linings to this lockdown situation? 

• Like 1

Bored stiff. Prob wont catch the flu due to high zinc and sd. Otherwise its <deleted>.

4 of my five investment traunches were in cash when all this hit.

I still have my job.

My wife isn't the least bit driving me crazy

No one in my family is ill save for my cousin and his daughter. Mild cases.

Done a lot of organizing I'd never otherwise done.

Started to yet again consider moving back to states in five years.

• Like 1

As I'm still working, getting to the office & going home on the MRT is fantastic. No queues, not crammed in shoulder to shoulder. I'll miss that when things get back to normal.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Property crash may finally arrive.

Air is less polluted.

Back in UK where medical treatment is better from my many Thai experiences and cost is zero.

Edited by twix38

Moving across the border into Siem Reap, Cambodia, 2 months ago!!

4 hours ago, donnacha said:

Having no idea how all this will play is, at least, interesting.

Perhaps our civilization needed a reset. I'm not convinced many people were particularly happy or fulfilled, despite it being the richest and most comfortable time in human history.

This enforced time-out will be a period of reflection for many. Some relationships and marriages that should end will end. Some people will break away from jobs and careers that they secretly hate. Some may finally do something about their health and fitness.

A collapsed economy might finally convince the Thai people to kick the generals out of power.

Thailand might reassess their turn against Westerners and realize that we contribute to their economy in ways that are stabilizing at village level but not easy to quantify.

Working remotely will become far more accepted, increasing the work opportunities available for those of us based in S.E. Asia.

People may become more aware of how, in return for convenience and cheap goods, we have turned a blind eye to a pretty rotten regime in China.

The left might start to focus once again on things that matter to regular folks, which will rebalance all politics.

Well thank you for delivering one of the most insightful posts I have seen on TVF....It makes a welcome change!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate living here in Thailand and want to return to my home country but I can't leave until I sell my house here since all my savings is tied up in the house. The only redeeming thing is the low cost of living here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1