Online Learning Equipment

Two of my children are starting to have online classes -  Mattayom level.

They are both asking for iPads. Personally, I hate Apple and never buy their products.

The younger is quite happy with one of the cheaper models - 32 GB of memory but the older one wants 256 GB of memory.

I've no idea how much is needed for a normal student.

Can anyone advise the memory needed and would you recommend any other device? Samsung tablet, laptop etc.

I'm a PC guy, dislike Apple devices with a passion for probably the same reasons but.

nah, I would just get both of them the same one (so no fighting) 32 GB+ of memory but make sure it has microSD slot so you can buy if needed a 64GB memory card

Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 seems like a sensible choice at about 5000 baht on Lazada, 2GB of memory. 32 GB of storage, up to 512 GB on microSD

Galaxy Tab A with S Pen has 50% more memory and a S Pen (3 GB memory + 32GB storage) for 8500 or so, up to 512 GB on microSD

if you want a little upgrade for size (and memory similar to above)

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 2019 (3 GB memory + 32GB storage) is in the 8500 range and 10.1' instead of 8', up to 512 GB on microSD

S Pen might be interesting but only if they plan to write on screen (unlikely)

absolutely don't "need" 256 GB of storage

I have 128 GB on my 5000 baht phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 7) with 92 apps installed (13 GB total)

yesterday I put like 8300+ high quality songs on it and it's half full + a 64 GB microSD card in there which I backed up the songs on there as well - 50 GB x2

over 100 GB of music is 2 copies of 560 albums and a few loose songs.

image.thumb.jpeg.fd08d8fc3871c8c99342168ef06bbf0f.jpeg

Edited by kekalot
  • Thanks 1

All you need to study is the basic regular iPad 10,900B - everything such as music, movies, etc is now accessed from the cloud, there isn’t the need to load your iPad up with data these days. If they are telling you they need the extra 220GB for academic material then they can store everything on the free apple cloud, if you need to expand this, it’s 35B a month for more than enough storage. The basic model is fast enough, and support Apple Pencil.

I have my own new iPad Air, but I have the model mentioned as my teaching iPad, it’s more than enough for the next couple of years.

• Thanks 1

Apple has no place in Thailand education.  I have been using a Huawei T3, 8 inch (much better than 7), with hd screen, 2/16 GB and can add up to 128 SD card, but I spent 140 THB on a 32 GB.  It has been flawless for two years..I rarely turn on the laptop.  Cost me 63 USD with a 50 off promo at Newegg. likely around 4000 THB here.  Time to have a talk with the brats about wants and needs..even if you make several million THB per year, and can afford it, that really isn't fair to the 99.5% of others, who can't, in an education environment.  

Edited by moontang
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

As of 1994 no longer a fan of Apple products. My students seem to be split 70/30 in favor of appl. If your kids have iPhones I'd get them cheap, bottom end Apple tablets. If not Android. Most any branded tablet will do the trick. That Huawei mentioned sounds nice. Mid range Lenovo maybe. What will they actually be doing online? If it's writing they might be better with a laptop. I'm always a bit annoyed seeing my students peck out a sentence on a tablet. Typing skills are valuable as well. I don't know about minimum specs because I always buy top of the line stuff with the intention of keeping it eight years. Look at the reviews on Amazon then buy at Fortune Town. Asus makes good stuff. Dell perhaps, certainly laptops. Go crazy get them both Surface tablets. Kekalot makes some valid points. I'm no fan of Samsung. The interface is nothing close to pure Android (I think it's MIUI?), slow updates and patches.

64gb micro SD is fine. Probably 32 even. Plus internal storage. 2gb RAM. As big a processor for money. 720x1080 absolute minimum screen.

Edited by Number 6
  • Thanks 1

you can also get a wireless keyboard for any tablet if they want one (unless they prefer a laptop). you can actually use a Bluetooth mouse AND keyboard on a phone but it's kind of silly.

I wouldn't go with Huawei personally because about a month ago I tried to connect a Huawei phone via USB to copy important project files for my friend, it forced me to install some software to sync the files and that didn't even work (stupid).

I made a point to my friend saying "this is why you don't buy Huawei" and connected my phone (Xiaomi Redmi 7) to the same PC and got access to internal and external (SD) folders instantly and could drag and drop anything.

Samsung or Lenovo tablets, absolutely.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, I just saw them!

I went for the iPad, despite not personally liking Apple. I understand wanting brand names when a teenager. Price was OK but the pens/cases/films were quite expensive and the keyboards even more.

Happily studying now, which is the main thing ????

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 12:31 PM, moontang said:

Apple has no place in Thailand education.  I have been using a Huawei T3, 8 inch (much better than 7), with hd screen, 2/16 GB and can add up to 128 SD card, but I spent 140 THB on a 32 GB.  It has been flawless for two years..I rarely turn on the laptop.  Cost me 63 USD with a 50 off promo at Newegg. likely around 4000 THB here.  Time to have a talk with the brats about wants and needs..even if you make several million THB per year, and can afford it, that really isn't fair to the 99.5% of others, who can't, in an education environment.  

Do you have children?

If so, how would you feel if someone insulted them online?

I wouldn't buy Huawei for moral reasons, which my kids know about - IP theft, 5G etc.

• Like 1