Best Advice for non 0 visa extension

37 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Then they should have already applied for a further 1 year 'extension' before 31st March, OR left and re-entered before their Visa validity expired to obtain a further 1 year permission of stay.

Many of these folks are here just for the length of their permission of stay, not as a prelude to retirement. That some folks find a one year stay more to their liking than a 90/60/30 day permission of stay is completely logical. And it's also logical that they too should be afforded the same amnesty as those folks whose 90/60/30 day permissions of stay are also running out.

Annual extensions of stay based on Retirement or Marriage are not 'Visas'

Neither are 365/90/60/30 day permissions of stay. Yet, the embassies, and Thai immigration, use the term "visa" to describe every and all permissions of stay, whether granted at the airport, or at Immigration under an extension procedure.

19 hours ago, JimGant said:

Many of these folks are here just for the length of their permission of stay, not as a prelude to retirement. That some folks find a one year stay more to their liking than a 90/60/30 day permission of stay is completely logical. And it's also logical that they too should be afforded the same amnesty as those folks whose 90/60/30 day permissions of stay are also running out.

Would that be a 1 year stay from an 0-A entry, or a 1 year stay for an extension based on retirement.

Both are granted permission of stay for 365 days.

The OP's question was in reference to an O Visa and you throw an 0-A into the mix.

My previous reply to you was in direct relation to the 0-A.

If your were granted permission of stay until 31/3/2020, the Visa obviously expired before that date and to obtain a further 1 year permission of stay you should have exited and re-entered prior to the Visa expiry date, which would have been before the effective date of the amnesty.

19 hours ago, JimGant said:

Neither are 365/90/60/30 day permissions of stay. Yet, the embassies, and Thai immigration, use the term "visa" to describe every and all permissions of stay, whether granted at the airport, or at Immigration under an extension procedure.

Yes agreed, but when your not a native English speaker referring to everything as a 'Visa' is a far less daunting task than learning 'extension of stay permit'.  Fortunately there are those who understand the differences regardless of the terminology used.

41 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If your were granted permission of stay until 31/3/2020, the Visa obviously expired before that date and to obtain a further 1 year permission of stay you should have exited and re-entered prior to the Visa expiry date,

Huh? Why would they necessarily want to obtain another permission of stay? My observation was that many folks like to come to Thailand and remain for longer than 90 days without ever having to leave the country or visit Immigration for an extension. The Non Imm O-A affords them this privilege; these folks come for the longer than 90 day stay, but without any intent on retiring here. These folks, if their permission of stay expires after 26 March, will be afforded the same amnesty as the OP. So too for others here on 30 and 60 day permissions of stay. There are folks who read these threads who are in similaar, but not same, positions as the OP. Yes, you could be accused of thread creep -- or maybe valuable elaboration. Up to the mods.

Yes agreed, but when your not a native English speaker referring to everything as a 'Visa' is a far less daunting task than learning 'extension of stay permit'. 

Agreed. And most of us (some?) reading this understand the shorthand of "visa." But I assure you there's someone out there looking at his visa sticker issued by a Thai consulate abroad, that has an expiration date prior to March 26th, and he's saying "Sh..t, I don't qualify for amnesty." (Even tho' his permission of stay expires after March 26.)

14 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Huh? Why would they necessarily want to obtain another permission of stay? My observation was that many folks like to come to Thailand and remain for longer than 90 days without ever having to leave the country or visit Immigration for an extension. The Non Imm O-A affords them this privilege; these folks come for the longer than 90 day stay, but without any intent on retiring here. These folks, if their permission of stay expires after 26 March, will be afforded the same amnesty as the OP.

The amnesty doesn't apply to 1 year permission of stay granted from an O-A entry, same as it doesn't apply to 1 year extensions granted by Immigration offices based on retirement or marriage.

The amnesty only applies to certain classes of Visas, namely VE, TV and Non O.

That is Immigrations stance.

I have a similar question:

I entered Thailand on a Non-imm O multi-entry visa. My first 90 days will expire on May 10. My money in the Thai bank account will have been there for two full months on April 10. Would my best plan of action be to apply to convert to one-year extension based on either retirement or marriage (I can meet the financial criteria for either though I think the paperwork is more simple for retirement)? Or, should I do an extension and convert later? I know I can't do a border run in these circumstances. 

20 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I entered Thailand on a Non-imm O multi-entry visa. My first 90 days will expire on May 10. My money in the Thai bank account will have been there for two full months on April 10. Would my best plan of action be to apply to convert to one-year extension based on either retirement or marriage (I can meet the financial criteria for either though I think the paperwork is more simple for retirement)? Or, should I do an extension and convert later? I know I can't do a border run in these circumstances. 

If you can apply for the one year extension that would be the best thing to do.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

If the borders are open again before May 10, easiest for you would be to do a border-run and use the remaining 9 months of your 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa.

If the borders are not open by May 10, you could apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your ME Non Imm O Visa.  Although the paperwork for the extension for reason of retirement is more simple, the financial requirements are much heavier than for an extension for reason of marriage.  So up to you to decide what has your preference.

Note: You are not eligible to apply for the emergency-extension, but might indeed consider applying for the 60-day extension for reason of visiting your wife. That would provide you with a permission to stay till July 9, and if by then the borders are open again, you could do a border-run and use the 7 remaining months of your ME Non Imm O Visa.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I entered Thailand on a Non-imm O multi-entry visa. My first 90 days will expire on May 10. My money in the Thai bank account will have been there for two full months on April 10. Would my best plan of action be to apply to convert to one-year extension based on either retirement or marriage

Yes.

36 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

(I can meet the financial criteria for either though I think the paperwork is more simple for retirement)? Or, should I do an extension and convert later?

There is little difference in terms of documentation required between an extension based on retirement or marriage. With marriage your wife must also attend.

The main differences are the financial requirements. If using funds in a Thai bank.

For retirement 800K in a Thai bank 2 months prior to extension application and for 3 months after the extension is granted. You can then withdraw up to 400K, but top up to 800K again 2 month prior to your next extension application. The extension if approved is granted same day.

For marriage 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to extension application. Your application could take up to 30 days to be approved and it is recommend to keep the 400K until such time your application is approved. You can immediately withdraw and use the full 400K. Deposit 400K 2 months prior to next extension.

45 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I know I can't do a border run in these circumstances. 

You submit 90 day reports instead of border runs.

A re-entry permit (single or multiple) allows you to exit/re-enter whilst keeping any permission of stay valid up until your next renewal date, should you wish to travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posting this in terms of its relevance to Covid 19 and changes to Immigration Office policy(or not as case may be) in Prachuap Kiri Khan

So having been to the Bank first thing to update my Bank books and get new copy certificates, I arrived at Hua Hin Immigration Monday morning at 10.30 to renew my 1 year retirement 'visa' (extension of stay) and 90 day report.

-temperature checked on arrival at ground floor level
-given a colour coded & numbered ticket(eg Blue 14, Yellow 10 etc) and asked to wait at ground floor outdoor shaded temporary seating area because they don't want more than about 10 people in the upstairs main office at any one time(very sensible)
-after 1 min was asked to go upstairs
-then I sat and waited for 20 mins. I'd say there were 5 officers with customers and 5 of us waiting so we had plenty of space to spread out.
-new clear screens added(between customer and Officer) since last visit 3 weeks ago
-one guy jumped in front of me because he seemed to know the guy, but I let it slide
-got called up and luckily got the same guy I got last 3 times. He took about 15 mins doing my forms
- he gave me half of my paperwork back and told me it wasn't necessary(better safe than sorry!) I had read online about a multitude of additional documents being needed

But amongst other things it turned out I did NOT need were my rental agreement, property map, copy utility bill, copy owners ID card , Photos of me at the property and 2 papers that I was told were the Blue Book(but I can't be sure). Also I did not need the bank statements from UK to prove how I was funding myself here in Thai(just the Thai 800k baht ones. I also take along a bank certificate showing that *original* transfer from the UK into my Thai account, he did use that ).
Possible explanation is there's a difference between what is needed on an original application versus a renewal. And/or the requirements of this province(Prachuap Khiri Khan). Dont know?

- Costs- 1900 baht annual renewal fee, 1000 baht re-entry, 90 day report no charge - all as expected.
-whole thing start to finish was 50 minutes.

Delighted with that and credit where credit is due the whole experience compared to 3 weeks ago, both in terms of efficiency and Health & Safety, was absolutely Chalk and Cheese!

Naturally, the recent 'amnesty' helped!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, Tanoshi said:

My guess is the amnesty will extend slightly beyond borders opening and flights resuming to allow those who need to leave, do a border run, or obtain a new Visa, to do so.

Keep an eye out for further announcements on the situation.

It'll be interesting to see when the Amnesty is extended to. I'd say May 30th if I had to guess.  Does this process require the pm's signature, publishing in the gazette etc?

3 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

It'll be interesting to see when the Amnesty is extended to. I'd say May 30th if I had to guess.  Does this process require the pm's signature, publishing in the gazette etc?

The Ministerial Notification of 7 April says nothing about it.

10 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

It should not be a big problem to extend the ministerial order when the emergency decree is extended since the authority for it is under the emergency decree. They could even include it the order to extend the emergency decree.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It should not be a big problem to extend the ministerial order when the emergency decree is extended since the authority for it is under the emergency decree. They could even include it the order to extend the emergency decree.

You are, as I am fairly confident it will be extended. Always a chance that it will not be extended past 30th April but slim.

I went down to Jomtien and got my marriage non o 60 day extension in about 10 minutes start to finish......very quiet...especially compared to the bedlam a week ago.

The reception or the issuing officer made no mention that i didn't need an extension......i didn't ask them either as i did not want to take a chance and have to join the potential queues after May 1.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, William Osborne said:

I went down to Jomtien and got my marriage non o 60 day extension in about 10 minutes start to finish......very quiet...especially compared to the bedlam a week ago.

The reception or the issuing officer made no mention that i didn't need an extension......i didn't ask them either as i did not want to take a chance and have to join the potential queues after May 1.

Did you have a TM30 or they did not ask ?

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

So better register online before going?

Yes, so I did PM you a step-by-step instruction on how to register on the IO TM30 website and file your TM30s on-line.  It is fairly easy (if you know how to do it).

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

21 hours ago, chakeeoyen said:

Did you provide a Kor Ror 2 and if so how old was it?

Yes....i used copy of my original kor ror 2....(about 19 years old)

I got my wife to ask the IO officer if i needed updated copy next month to apply for 1 year extension and she said to use same one.

• Like 1