house visit

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I can tell you that Isaan has changed a huge amount since you were here, I have seen the transition personally......????

Land in Khon Kaen was around 100,000 a rai 15 years ago. Now, the same plot is around 10 million.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Land in Khon Kaen was around 100,000 a rai 15 years ago. Now, the same plot is around 10 million.

Yep, the plots either side of my place have been vacant for 12 years, a Thai bloke just paid near 7 mil for one. I reckon he must be posh, that will up the value of our location.....????

29 minutes ago, transam said:

Yep, the plots either side of my place have been vacant for 12 years, a Thai bloke just paid near 7 mil for one. I reckon he must be posh, that will up the value of our location.....????

He bought it to build a sheet metal factory.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

He bought it to build a sheet metal factory.

No, a house......Not a factory or a karaoke bar.....At least there will be two posh residences now....................????.......................????

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I went there once, lasted about 3 days then never went back.

Occasionally I have to travel through on a bus, wouldn't stop if I could help it though.

If I were a drunk, or stupid, or suffering from dementia I'd probably like it better.

Aaaaaah, you have a complete "view" of Isaan because you went on a bus to Savv to get a visa..

Well you obviously were lucky the bus was near empty so you could look out the windows both sides...????

Oh well, never mind, just another that listens to down south bar stool stuff about things you never saw....:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, tropo said:

That's good advice. If they are genuinely checking for Immigration, they will come back with a translator, official ID and maybe a police officer or two. A conversation that you cannot understand between your partner and whoever it is is not sufficient.

They aren't from immigration, my missus has the same cap and scarf, they are issued from the kings office through the pu yai baan to certain people in the village. The pu yai is just checking probably in accordance with the ministry of health not the IO. I asked the missus about such visits and she knew nothing about it but since I am the only falang in the village and know the pu yai personally I doubt my missus will be asked to scrutinise my passport.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:16 PM, BritManToo said:

Don't let them speak to your partner.

If they're official, they can speak English with you after identifying themselves correctly.

I'd want a photo of then holding their ID card, as they always want photos of us.

My gate is locked, they won't be coming in, social distancing an all, they can speak from outside the gate.

I also have four dogs. Three are very effective at enforcing social distancing, especially between family members and strangers.   And your spot on about requiring the same Id checks as well as photo of those who claim to be officials (who are they really?).  I'd go one step further then photographing them with their Ids. Scan their Ids as well as translating them before speaking with whoever they are (due diligence). If it smells fishy, call the police and refuse to talk to them until the police arrive. For all you know they are robbers casing your home. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:09 PM, tropo said:

The joys of living in areas with few foreigners. The Immigration officers have too much time on their hands so they go around "harassing" the few in town (or wherever you are) to justify their paychecks. 

So true ! in the past i wanted to be far for foreigners, but now think that living in a condo where 80% are foreigners is so much better !

even if they wanted to check, i would have time to escape before they reached my floor ! haahahah

• Like 1

I only hand over my passport to an immigration officer.

Well one time I gave it to a cop many years ago, in another country, and he immediately put it in his pocket and walked away. I stumbled along behind him until I could pay to get it back......

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:16 PM, BritManToo said:

Don't let them speak to your partner.

If they're official, they can speak English with you after identifying themselves correctly.

I'd want a photo of then holding their ID card, as they always want photos of us.

My gate is locked, they won't be coming in, social distancing an all, they can speak from outside the gate.

Yeah I had 3 come to my house up in Sakon Nakhon two weeks ago. The gate was locked! I told my wife to see what they wanted and to not touch anything they try to give you. I went outside to see the matter ,she let  them in the car park while talking to them, once in, they handed her a paper,I screamed don't touch that but...

One of them could see I was upset as my wife went in the house to grab a rubber glove.

In short ,they left a sticker on my gate ,I asked my wife what it said : Falang lives here and has been questioned. I asked her what they talked about. They wanted to know how long I've been here (August 6) and if I had symptoms! 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1