BANGKOK

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Like one poster said, passports can go missing.

How...?

You never let anyone at your gate take your PP away, it doesn't belong to you or them....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Have you ever been around Isaan...?

Actually I have but not in ages. I'd made a bunch of trips since mid 90s. In 2000 I went up to Luang Prabang for Songkran from Pattaya stopping in a bunch of places over three weeks. I rather like it in the cool season. Everyone is really friendly food is good. My in-laws from issan. But no way I'd want to navigate the pettiness of village life, the heat, the drought and is far too inland. If I wanted that life I'd move to Luang Prabang.

• Like 1

After reading the OP, my first thought was did you ask for any official ID before giving out your info? It is quite amazing how many foreigners give out personal info without check who the person is that is asking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

How...?

You never let anyone at your gate take your PP away, it doesn't belong to you or them....

You just answered your own question Trans.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, transam said:

Have you ever been around Isaan...?

I went there once, lasted about 3 days then never went back.

Occasionally I have to travel through on a bus, wouldn't stop if I could help it though.

If I were a drunk, or stupid, or suffering from dementia I'd probably like it better.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Actually I have but not in ages. I'd made a bunch of trips since mid 90s. In 2000 I went up to Luang Prabang for Songkran from Pattaya stopping in a bunch of places over three weeks. I rather like it in the cool season. Everyone is really friendly food is good. My in-laws from issan. But no way I'd want to navigate the pettiness of village life, the heat, the drought and is far too inland. If I wanted that life I'd move to Luang Prabang.

There are large cities here! 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, lensta said:

After reading the OP, my first thought was did you ask for any official ID before giving out your info? It is quite amazing how many foreigners give out personal info without check who the person is that is asking.

Quite a lot of posters appear to be scared of Thai people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

"...on casual clothes and the cap.scarf. ''

Sometimes some of the various govt., officers do wear a cap (come members of the volunteer border patrols is 1 example) and in some cases they don't have a full uniform. The scarf is meant as a checking / authentication process, early every morning their commander will indicate what colour scarf is aligned to that specific day and If someone is wearing a different colour people who have contact with them are expected to assume something is wrong, it could be a scam / fake officer etc.

The cap and scarf simply means that they have graduated from a volunteer training course.  Most, if not all, of the people who take that course are government employees of some sort - Military, teacher, local officials, etc.  So wearing the scarf and cap is probably a way of letting people know that they are some sort of government official and are working in some sort of official capacity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Oh, so true. And when people are scared, they attack! 

Just now, otherstuff1957 said:

The cap and scarf simply means that they have graduated from a volunteer training course.  Most, if not all, of the people who take that course are government employees of some sort - Military, teacher, local officials, etc.  So wearing the scarf and cap is probably a way of letting people know that they are some sort of government official and are working in some sort of official capacity.

Exactly, they have risen a rung in the hierarchical social system, good for them.

Try to humiliate them and show your "supremacist" power, or forget your ego and treat them fellow human beings.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No, I would do the same if it was a foreigner, maybe even more so.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, lensta said:

No, I would do the same if it was a foreigner, maybe even more so.

Me too, but there aren't any foreigners where I live (and I never give out my address).

I treat everyone equally (avoid and ignore).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I treat everyone equally (avoid and ignore).

Can I not come round for a cup of tea then?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I can tell you that Isaan has changed a huge amount since you were here, I have seen the transition personally......😊

• Like 1
  • Sad 1