Thailand reports 54 new COVID-19 infections

webfact

25 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Who gets tested? How is it determined who gets the test? People that have some sort of symptom and go to a hospital or doctor about it?

THe official criteria are:

1. Those who have travelled to any foreign country and show symptoms of respiratory distress, including coughing, runny nose, sore throat, difficulty in breathing and temperature over 37.3℃
  2. Patients in medical facilities who show symptoms of respiratory distress and have temperature over 37.5 degrees Celsius, as well as fitting either one of the following criteria: Having a career that involves public contact, having been to crowded areas, used to be in contact with a Covid-19 patient. All patients in medical facilities who have pneumonia will also get a free Covid-19 test.
  3. Medical staff who have contact history with a Covid-19 patient and show symptoms of respiratory distress as well as have temperature over 37.5C
  4. Those involved in cluster group cases, be they at least three medical staff or five people who are from the same place, and show symptoms of respiratory infection but test negative for any type of flu.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

And people believe these numbers? 

The numbers are likely accurate based on the number of people tested. They are only doing targeted testing. If they do roughly 2000 to 3000  tests daily, with an infection rate of 2.8% of those tested, the number of positive tests will stay from 50-150 every day. There's an article today in the Bangkok Post about this "CCSA defends tests".

Whether or not they should be testing more as opposed to the targeted testing they're doing now is a worthy discussion.

Edited by garet
typing mistakes
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, garet said:

The numbers are likely accurate based on the number of people tested. They are only doing targeted testing. If they do roughly 2000 to 3000  tests daily, with an infection rate of 2.8% of those tested, the number of positive tests will stay from 50-150 every day.

Wouldn't know that unless they actually tested people presenting to the hospital with a simple fever or cough instead of these convoluted guidelines they are going by now. 

And all this assumes they are being transparent, not manipulating the numbers. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ponder said:

All I can say is, I do not know anyone who has it, or even anyone who knows someone who has it. Earlier today, I taught some students online who go to a school which caters for about 6,000 students; they said they did not know anybody who had or the virus.

Anecdotal. But I don't know anyone either, here or even in my home country who has it nor do they know anyone who's had it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, robblok said:

Looks good... but they don't test many people. So that means the numbers will always be low and there is a lot of stuff hidden. I do believe its not that bad otherwise hospitals would be overflowing with deaths and it does not happen.

I have my doubt for testing in provinces other then BKK, Nothaburi, Chonburi, and Phuket. The facilities in many of the other provinces are not that good and all tests have to go to BKK. So I have my doubts.

If you don't believe it go to a few hospitals and see how few people there are there now! They are near empty in many parts of BKK. 

• Like 1

Still seems to be a disproportionately large percentage of foreigners or thai who travelled abroad. It's really hard to believe that there is so little internal community spread with the limited social distancing that I see ????

One can only hope that these are a true reflection. I guess how hard the crackdown continues will be more reflective. For those asking for a re-opening of bars on the basis of these, be careful what you wish for unless you're wanting a side helping of covid-19

• Like 1

Again this is fantastic news. Very soon there will be zero testing (except for the elite) and hence zero new cases. In my opinion they are going with herd immunity. This is very dangerous as thousands will die or become very sick. This is indeed a don't test, don't tell policy. What's now coming out (Korea) is that there is secondary infection. You can get it again. Everyone wearing masks and all the other NPI is good but I just don't believe the figures. I would like to know just how these figures are being done. Who is being tested and where? There is absolutely no transperacy. Is an asymptomatic person who tests positive included in the stats? Are people who have died at home being tested? This is the CCP model.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

Last night on Thai PBS World, they spoke about hiding numbers. They said with social media, it is too hard to do as if things were bad and people getting sick left right and center, Twitter and Facebook would be awash with information. They cannot suppress it.

I think the numbers coming out are real in what they want to show but as I said yesterday, they are not testing enough people due to cost and they are just focus testing on subgroups now. I think Thailand is doing a good job but more testing needs to be done. My wife told me of one person on Twitter that had a high temp, had returned from Russia recently, and was not tested.

People like that should not fall through the cracks and need to be tested.

Twitter and Facebook would be awash with information.

I guess they'd go viral! Viral about a virus!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

If you don't believe it go to a few hospitals and see how few people there are there now! They are near empty in many parts of BKK. 

I mentioned that i think there are more infections but not so bad as the hospitals are not full. So while i believe they under report numbers I dont believe its as bad as in the US or Europe as hospitals are overflowing there.

• Like 2

Confirmed new Covid-19 cases in Thailand one of the lowest in weeks

By The Nation

800_3d5e60909969241.jpg?v=1586414032

Thailand’s total number of Covid-19 patients rose to 2,423, with 54 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period -- one of the lowest in weeks -- and two more deaths, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Thursday (April 9).

The cases can be divided into four groups.

The first group of 22 had had close contacts with others previously confirmed as infected (mostly in Bangkok, 11)

The second group comprised 21 people of whom five had just returned from overseas (three Thais and two foreigners), eight were working in crowded areas or close to foreigners, four went to crowded areas, and four are medical staff.

The third group of six are being investigated on the source of the infection.

The last group of five had returned from Indonesia and are now under state quarantine in Pattani province.

Meanwhile, 52 people have fully recovered and returned home.

A 74-year-old French man died on April 7 in Chonburi province. He did not have any chronic disease but developed flu-like symptoms and diarrhoea. He was later found to be infected with Covid-19. He started to have difficulty breathing and needed a respirator on April 7. He died later that day.

An 82-year-old Thai man in Samut Prakan province who bad difficulty breathing died on Wednesday.

As of April 9, the total number of confirmed cases in the country stood at 2,423-- 1,451 are under treatment, 940 have recovered and been discharged, and there have been 32 deaths.

200409.JPG

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385676

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-09

In America, they deem any death where the Coronavirus is found, as cause of death—Coronavirus.  And this included people who also suffered from cancer, high blood pressure, emphysema, heart patients old age, and stroke. 

So infection and death figures seem high.

Given the same comorbidity in Thailand, how do you think it would effect Coronavirus death statistics here?

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, justin case said:

for the thinkers out here (?) lol...

why were no there no other big cities in china full of patients ?

how did they magically get saved from all this while the rest of the world got the full load ?

Question authority.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

And people believe these numbers? 

Far too many as an unbelievable amount of these daily posts attest :crying:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

If it was really bad, we would be seeing people lining up at hospitals? Or at least hearing stories about it? We are not! So I think that the situation is improving?

really ?

• Sad 1