Thailand reports 54 new COVID-19 infections

webfact

Finally Bangkok Post picked up on the number of tests being done. I've been yapping about it for weeks. The daily numbers of confirmed are not useful if the testing criteria is limited to a small subset.

"Selective screening". Did somebody from TAT come up with that gem? Sounds a lot like selective memory.

And oh joy in the BKK Post article, a general is pondering which army projects could be put in ice to get the money for the testing. All, you ...

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Finally Bangkok Post picked up on the number of tests being done. I've been yapping about it for weeks. The daily numbers of confirmed are not useful if the testing criteria is limited to a small subset.

"Selective screening". Did somebody from TAT come up with that gem? Sounds a lot like selective memory.

Are they only testing active symptom, and are the kits available across the Kingdom ?

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Are they only testing active symptom, and are the kits available across the Kingdom ?

You need to be PUI: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/g_cpc.pdf

Criteria to become a PUI: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_PUIdefinition.pdf

Or go private, but those results are not included in the MoPH stats.

Here's the magic page for those documents: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/guidelines.php

Edited by DrTuner
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

Let's count the ICU Intubated patients and deaths, shall we?

Good idea, care to point me to the raw data for those? From a reputable source. I can wait.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Looks good... but they don't test many people. So that means the numbers will always be low and there is a lot of stuff hidden. I do believe its not that bad otherwise hospitals would be overflowing with deaths and it does not happen.

I have my doubt for testing in provinces other then BKK, Nothaburi, Chonburi, and Phuket. The facilities in many of the other provinces are not that good and all tests have to go to BKK. So I have my doubts.

The UK has also not been testing many people, and still is slow to ramp up, but the deaths and cases are considerable higher, with a similar size population.

Thailand hasn't got the level of people ill and needing hospital treatment that the UK has.

France, Spain, Italy - all been hit very badly.

South Korea and Singapore, HK acted quickly and seem to be on top of things. Sweden taking a very different approach.

It doesn't seem a predictable pandemic and without an effective proven vaccine all countries can do is try and control the spread the best way they can. But there isn't or doesn't seem to be a universal panacea of control.

Add to that, the fact that medical professionals believe many people have had and recovered from Covid 19 without even knowing it and we get a real muddle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

I do believe its not that bad otherwise hospitals would be overflowing with deaths and it does not happen.

And this would come to light how? If you knowingly do small-scale tests and knowingly attribute deaths to secondary causes, how would you know? Thai newspapers? They'll do what they're told if the appropriate 'national security' spell is cast.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Add to that, the fact that medical professionals believe many people have had and recovered from Covid 19 without even knowing it and we get a real muddle.

How very unusual in Thailand...

2 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Seems to me to be statistically impossible that Thailands cases and deaths are so low when they had millions and millions of chinese tourists even coming from Whuhan. 

Thailands numbers would be a statistical anomaly in a sea of hard statistics. 

10,000 before they turned it off. From the 4m that travelled from Hubei, the vast majority travelled inter-province. And it was eight weeks ago and one in 127,000 was infected.

But dont let that ruin your story. ????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

They are not overflowing ala Europe nor USA

Then why are they making field hospitals everywhere in Thailand in Military building and hotels?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Disagree. You forgot the elite which I'm sure have sucked up thousands if not 10's of thousands of tests and I bet they didn't have to pay.

Your evidence for this is what? Right...you have nothing !

8 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Your evidence for this is what? Right...you have nothing !

17 yrs living here. That's why I say the elite will be looked after and will be being tested. Do you think they have to pay?

Edited by dinsdale

Hmmm... Singapore has been working hard on this since early on. Almost complete lockdown now. They've had about 1600 cases in total, with 7 deaths. Well over 100 new cases a day for the past couple of weeks. And I'm supposed to believe Thailand, with a much bigger population, has already managed to bring the new cases down to about 50 a day? Tip of the iceberg, I say...   

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

<deleted> if I know man.  Perhaps to prepare for the worst?  

dude I'm not an apologist one way or another.  I'm merely pointing out the narrative of "yeah but where are the tests?, it's pointless without tests at scale" was valid for February and early March. 

We are now almost mid-April and the hospital ICUs are not overflowing, nor are bodybags flying out of these hospitals

How do you know? Remember this has been declared a state of emergency. The junta govt has censorship control of the media.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

How do you know? Remember this has been declared a state of emergency. The junta govt has censorship control of the media.

I don't know. 

I can only report on what I see.

I have driven by Bumrungrad, Samitivej, Phaya Thai 2, BNH, Thainakarin, and a couple others.

The government is not censoring my eyeballs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

I don't know. 

I have driven by Bumrungrad, Samitivej, Phaya Thai 2, BNH, Thainakarin, and a couple others.

Ok then. That's great. How did the icu's look when you were driving by? Busier than usual?

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I hope the first step is to at least open up the restaurants and keep chairs well apart.

Just wonder how long they can keep all the anxious tourists out.

Unless their is a test available for every person, there will always be a risk.

They think the virus can survive on surfaces for up to 9 days.  If you think sitting far from patrons while you eat matters consider you are basically sharing your table with everyone who has sat at it for more than a week.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

I don't know. 

I get your incredulity at our worry. But, I think you and some others are making an error when you assume that it would be unavoidably obvious and not able to be hidden if an extra 5-10k people were dying each month in Thailand. But, consider that, on average, 48k people die in Thailand every month. How many of those did you see? If 48k turned into 58k, why do you somehow believe that we would all develop magical powers to see all those deaths?

I got back to Thailand at the first of Feb. So, was here all that month as well as March...and, now into April. So, statistically about 100k people would have died of all various causes in Thailand while I've been here. I directly know of two people who died of old age. I've seen the reports on the news about the handful who have died from C-19. Other than that, I'm oblivious to all the thousands of other deaths and so are you. I have no idea if there was a 10-20% bump in the monthly average number of deaths. That data is not being made available and none of us has magically become omniscient. Not me. Not you. Stop thinking you'd see all those deaths simply because it's a big number. 10-20k sounds like a lot of people dying. But, spread that out over a few weeks in a country of 70 million and you simply: do. not. see. them. You don't.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Ok then. That's great. How did the icu's look when you were driving by? Busier than usual?

Parking lots about 25% full and Samitivej was a ghost town inside.

We would be hearing about it on social media if the ICUs were bursting at the seams

• Like 2