BANGKOK
Rimmer

Passports Please! Pattaya imposes tougher measures to block spread of COVID-19

Passports Please! Pattaya imposes tougher measures to block spread of COVID-19

1376-N5-Mar-30-01-Banglamung-gets-a-COVI

PATTAYA:--Road checkpoints to be set up, especially on all routes out of Pattaya and at the principal intersections between the city and the so called Dark Side.

Expats, tourists and all other foreigners have been instructed to have their original passports with them whilst travelling around Pattaya and neighboring districts from Thursday April 9 to, provisionally, the end of the month.

Government officials from Chonburi, Pattaya and Banglamung have agreed a system of road checkpoints to be set up, especially on all routes out of Pattaya and at the principal intersections between the city and the so called Dark Side, including Soi Siam County Club and Soi Nernplabwan.

Thai nationals will need to have their ID cards with them.  The process will include a temperature check (the reading should be below 37.5) and questions about the purpose of travel.  It is also a requirement to wear a mask in public at all times.  Drivers will also be expected to show a bottle of alcohol gel or similar disinfectant in the vehicle.  Pattaya mayor Sonthaya Kunplome said that the moves were designed to reduce further the impact of the Corona virus threat.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/passports-please-pattaya-imposes-tougher-measures-to-block-spread-of-covid-19-294581

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-04-09—

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, vogie said:

Now that the road checkpoints have turned out to be unworkable and have been abandoned, do we still need to carry our passports?

What does your post mean and on what basis are you making this statement? Why are "road checkpoints … unworkable"? Are they in place today/now? I have seen no news reports that they are not. If not, are you sure that they have been "abandoned" and not just delayed until issues are corrected? 

Edited by Thailaw
found more information
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Immigration has my passport while I'm awaiting non-O. Catch-22.

What Catch-22? You've been told when it will be ready so then you go and get it. Until then, stay home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, vogie said:
37 minutes ago, Thailaw said:

What does your post mean and on what basis are you making this statement? Why are "road checkpoints … unworkable"? Are they in place today/now? I have seen no news reports that they are not. If not, are you sure that they have been "abandoned" and not just delayed until issues are corrected? What a really horrible post for an issue that is so critically important to the people living in the Pattaya area, especially outside of the checkpoint area.

The roadworks are unworkable because the police cannot cope with traffic jams caused and other logistical problems, it has been mentioned on other topics about Pattaya and Richard Barrows has confirmed this, whether they will be implemented again nobody knows at this time.

Agreed, but it would be a bit of a nuisance if, while you were swanning about out and about without your passport, they suddenly kick-started the checkpoints again and you became a victim of your own conflation of possibility and probability.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1

These checkpoints ie choke points are an attempt to stop the spread of the covid 19 virus, how does checking passports help?

• Like 1

does a bottle of rubbing alcohol suffice the hand sanitizer requirement ?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, johng said:

That's unusual they never keep my passport..always returned if they cant process it while I'm waiting.

At Jomtien immigration it is next day always (a few years already) to pick passport after 2 clock afternoon for my ret ext..

Edited by david555
  • Like 2