Tooth abscess - AGONY ????????????

nomad2019

Broke tooth couple months ago. Its now infected. Took ammoxicillan 3 weeks ago ,it went away but is now back, now pharmacy has gave me 3 day course of azithromycin 250mg , take 2 pills a day for 3 days.

I got them yesterday morning 7am took two pills and woke up 6 am this morning took further two pills, seems abscess is growing towards my eye, absolute agony. Tyenol painkillers not killing pain ????????????, went to pattaya smile dental yesterday dentist says cannot do extraction untill decay goes away but i think these bloddy antibiotics arent strong enough and theyll run out tomorrow, why cant i just get the damn thing pulled plus what cost to have it surgically removed or root canal...wonder would my insurance even for out as i cannot get hold of them either.

HELP ????????????????????

????????????????????????????????

I feel for you buddy, toothache is a nightmare.

I had a molar extracted about 6 months ago. I took the amoxylin first and then azithromycin. These are two different antibiotics that fight different types of bacterial infections.

Keep on the azithromycin for a whilenow that your on it, I think I had two courses before having the tooth finally pulled.

As a pain killer I took one of each paracetamol + ibruprofin and I also used that topical M16 anesthetic which does help but be careful not to swallow if using this as it can numb your throat and airways etc.

If you have unbearable pain though it can help.. 

(sold at most pharmacies)

product-image-603714733_530x_2x_c55a1e5c

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

Tyenol painkillers not killing pain

I had chronic tooth pain once, nothing worked killing the pain from the shelf. Then the wife went into the 7/11 pharmacy shop and came out with a small red pack containing  of yellow tablets - that to me oddly taste like foam bananas ! Took two, pain gone within about 10-15 minutes. Is only pain killer I use now, but only available  in pharmacy shop.  Pharmacist says they are for women's period pains, but work great for toothache. Mefenamic acid Coly tablets I think. Work for me, and they over the counter as opposed to really strong doctor issues tabs that you may have a trouble getting in to see

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

For tempory releilfe, keep numbing it with ice cubes...not ideal but gives a break from the pain

this isn't a mouth ulcer, terrible advice

keep taking antibiotics, as for the pain - paracetamol 1000mg with Ibuprofen 1000mg (large dose but was advised to me by a dentist when I had the same problem) + tramadol (no more than 400mg a day)

all three medicines can be safely mixed, though ibuprofen shouldn't be taken if you have covid

if you can't find a pharmacy selling tramadol find someone Thai to help you - they sell it in every area, some pharmacies will lie about not having it. it also helps to go into the pharmacy with your passport in one hand

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Try a hospital emergency department, abscesses can be serious. Most hospitals have dental clinics attached.

I have lost two fillings, fortunately no pain. I was told to come back if I had severe pain, then they would treat me.

I agree. Pain killers and antibiotics just treat the symptoms, not the cause. and you sure don't need complications right now. You should visit Pattaya International Dental Centre ASAP  210/26 Moo 9, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi.
Tel. +66-3841-2090 10:00 AM - 08:00 PM Email: [email protected]

Edited by stephenterry
add
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Forget Azithromycin...it's not for dental issues.

If Amoxicillin isn't working, you need to step up to Metronidazole tablets.

Yes this is correct I was prescribed Metronidazole and maybe not the azithromycin

Went dental smile just now was given yet more antibiotics ( clindamycin 300 mg)

3xday every 6 hrs...

Failing these do not relieve me of this b******d pain what would you recommend.

Asked dentist to cut and drain he said no ????

Should i go pattaya city hospital and get it drained....intravenous antibiotics....

Getting suicidal now, i really am going up the bloody walls ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????

Can not recommend anything better than the oil of clove mentioned earlier but I am not a dentist (but did have for grandfather and two uncles).  As said until infection under control any attempt to work on tooth is going to be mind blowing (not in a good way).  

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Try a hospital emergency department, abscesses can be serious. Most hospitals have dental clinics attached.

I have lost two fillings, fortunately no pain. I was told to come back if I had severe pain, then they would treat me.

As above

IV antibiotics is an option and will work more quickly

• Like 1

Have you tried Kamillosan spray? It was given to me when I had mouthsores. Also, I had gingivitis last year and so I couldn't go for a tooth extraction yet. I was given Hexetidine and the inflammation went away in 3 days. Molar got extracted the following week. Thantakit Dental Center is brilliant. They went above and beyond to help and comfort me as I was also in agony at the time. They were very responsive. Everything went perfectly well. Maybe try Hexetidine and see if the pain and inflammation go away? You may continue with the antibiotic so infection won't progress further but with your urine situation, best to ask your doctor about it. Keep yourself hydrated. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Edited by NYGuy816
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If they try to extract while still have abscess the Xylocaine will just be absorbed by the infected tissue and not offer any pain relief (been there as a child).  The oil of clove is a lifesaver in my experience when no medical attention was available for several months.

Yes, agree about oil of Cloves, but where can you get it in Thailand?

17 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

cannot do extraction untill decay goes away

He could not have meant that...decay does not go away...antibiotics will not fix your problem...in fact they should only be used as an adjunct to extraction or treament to prevent further infection to surrounding areas during post-op recovery. find a new dentist or bring a translator

• Like 1

I’ve been down that same road with two molars, no fun to say the least! According to my dentist the reason why they can’t extract the tooth while it is still inflamed is because the anesthetic won’t work because of the inflammation and the pain of getting the tooth pulled would be too extreme! 

The antibiotic which worked best for me was Metronidazol. That killed the inflammation after taking it for only 7 days without it coming back after 2 weeks, which happens twice with the previous antibiotic I was prescribed.

I hope you’ll get it sorted as quickly as possible and I wish you a speedy recovery! 

Edited by pacovl46

9 minutes ago, tonray said:

He could not have meant that...decay does not go away...antibiotics will not fix your problem...in fact they should only be used as an adjunct to extraction or treament to prevent further infection to surrounding areas during post-op recovery. find a new dentist or bring a translator

He meant inflammation. It’s true that antibiotics won’t fix the problem, but they’ll make the inflammation go away and then the tooth can be pulled, which will be the end of the problem.

I had an abscess that would just keep coming back after taking antibiotics. My dentist advised me to get the two molars pulled which would solve the problem. Stupid me wanted to hang on to my teeth so I took the antibiotic in the hope it would solve the problem. Needless to say it didn’t. After a year of inflammation after inflammation I finally gave in and had them pulled. Since then no more problem. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Forget Azithromycin...it's not for dental issues.

If Amoxicillin isn't working, you need to step up to Metronidazole tablets.

They are specifically described for tooth infection and many docs give them after

root canal as prophyalxis.

Get the highest strength and take one, twice a day.

It also comes in dental gel form...called Metrogyl DC....make sure it says oral use on the tube.

A great painkiller is Arcoxia (etoricoxib)...very powerful, pain goes in minutes.

Good luck...tooth issues in these times suck.

Yeah, Metronidazol is absolutely brilliant for this application! I was prescribed other antibiotics before, they didn’t  even come close! 

• Like 1

I had an abscess back in January, (infection from a tooth extraction) and the dentist - like yours, gave me three days supply of anti-biotics, amoxycillin. Useless! I had the same problem as you.

I went to my usually trustworthy pharmacy, here in Chiangmai. She gave me the '500 Amoxy M.H.' - Red brand details on the back - shiny orange color plastic covering on the front, tablets are yellow/red (each end). 10 tablets per strip.

Two in the morning, after breakfast - 2 after dinner, evening. 

She happily gave me 10 days supply.

I even purchased another 5 days supply. Problem resolved.

I also have a supply here in front of me as I write - in case!

Brief flare up a while later - purchased another 10 day's supply.

No problems since.

Good luck - it' is agony, I agree. pm me if you live in CM and I will give you the well known, foreigner orientated pharmacy name and location, OK?

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

I had an abscess back in January, (infection from a tooth extraction) and the dentist - like yours, gave me three days supply of anti-biotics, amoxycillin. Useless! I had the same problem as you.

I went to my usually trustworthy pharmacy, here in Chiangmai. She gave me the '500 Amoxy M.H.' - Red brand details on the back - shiny orange color plastic covering on the front, tablets are yellow/red (each end). 10 tablets per strip.

Two in the morning, after breakfast - 2 after dinner, evening. 

She happily gave me 10 days supply.

I even purchased another 5 days supply. Problem resolved.

I also have a supply here in front of me as I write - in case!

Brief flare up a while later - purchased another 10 day's supply.

No problems since.

Good luck - it' is agony, I agree. pm me if you live in CM and I will give you the well known, foreigner orientated pharmacy name and location, OK?

Cannot take anymore amoxi

3 hours ago, JWRC said:

Yes, agree about oil of Cloves, but where can you get it in Thailand?

I would expect any pharmacy to have but have never looked myself.  It is available as here

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=clove+oil&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125719csV674R

https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=clove oil

https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/aromatherapy/798-clove-essential-oil-10-ml-.html