BANGKOK
Rimmer

Lonely Pattaya Beach harkens to a public that can’t go

Lonely Pattaya Beach harkens to a public that can’t go

2.-Pattaya-beach-and-its-charms-are-stil

PATTAYA:--With the beach chairs and umbrellas gone, trash cleaned and sun shining, Pattaya Beach has never looked so appealing. Unfortunately, for sun-lovers, it’s closed.

Last week’s order by Chonburi Province to close the beaches came after both Thais and foreigners ignored pleas for social distancing and to stay home. Even with the sand now “off limits”, some people continue to mill about, either ignorant or uncaring that they may be silently contracting or spreading Covid-19.

The pristine sand – rebuilt with millions of baht over the past several years – certainly looks inviting for those that don’t mind the scorching April sun. Certainly the beach vendors wish people were there.

Yet even in the days before the closure order came down, there were only a handful of tourists sunbathing or swimming, many of them stranded refugees unable to get home after flights were canceled and Thailand’s borders closed in the battle against the coronavirus pandemic.

If one counted, there were probably fewer than 50 people on the sand along the 3.5-kilometer shoreline. More, of course, were congregating in groups too large for the times on the promenade.

One beach chair vendor looked shell-shocked at the speed at which high season was turned upside down.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/coronavirus/lonely-pattaya-beach-harkens-to-a-public-that-cant-go-294561

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-04-09—

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So now it is no longer 'The Mysterious Case of the Disappearing Beach' but the 'Disappearing Beach User.'

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

So now it is no longer 'The Mysterious Case of the Disappearing Beach' but the 'Disappearing Beach User.'

THERE is a new app its called "spot the swimmer and sunbather" !!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I'm confused ! (I know - what's new about that !) :w00t:

Stay indoors message falls on deaf ears in Pattaya as people continue to visit the beach

Yesterday it was "people continue to visit the beach" and today it's "Lonely Pattaya Beach harkens to a public that can’t go".

Admittedly it isn't as busy as normal. It seems most people are staying on the promenade instead of the sand.

92823785_882681468863106_1770860070347735040_o.jpg.d4befc44883255193098c973aa547bf8.jpg.4e3d1ed75218ad834da340d6d66b1bb1.jpg

Would be a great time to do some remediation and flood prevention work. You know, before the rainy season (eventually) gets here.

Less disruption to the tourists as well, as there shouldn't be any !

Edited by Kerryd
added a smiley so people won't think I was being serious when I was trying to be humorous !
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They should keep it that way, ban access to all but locals.

It's mainly the locals that spoil it!

• Like 2

So it's okay to go to the markets wearing a mask but not walk along the beach? Especially in a deserted time when it is far less crowded?

• Like 1

They are all fishing at night looking for food due to the lack of government welfare😳🤷‍♂️😢😰🙏🇹🇭

854878E6-A475-4DD0-9D18-859FC20A8423.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Less disruption to the tourists as well, as there shouldn't be any !

Plenty of time then. 🙂 

Not beeing abke to walk along emty beaches doesn't make sense. I agree there can't be groups sitt3at the beach, eating and drinking. But people have to be able to get out if their rooms and condos for a walk in distance at the long emty beaches! But yes, what had a logic in Thailand!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, manhood said:

Not beeing abke to walk along emty beaches doesn't make sense. I agree there can't be groups sitt3at the beach, eating and drinking. But people have to be able to get out if their rooms and condos for a walk in distance at the long emty beaches! But yes, what had a logic in Thailand!

It's the herd mentality though. People see you walking along the beach and the first thing they think is "if he can do it, why can't I ?"

Then a couple more people see those people doing it and think "If they can do it, so can I !"

Then a couple of vendors see all those people and think "If they are all there, why can't I sell stuff to them ?"

And pretty soon the beach is full of people and vendors again, just like in the photo I posted (taken from the other thread posted yesterday about how many people were still going to the beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1