Online notary services in the USA

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

Doesn't this all defeat the purpose of notary, where you show up in person, with ID and the document to be 'notarized'

Damn, if thats the case you could make up a stamp and do it yourself

With these services you upload the necessary documents in advance and then do a scheduled video call on their system.   It's like having a video teleconference meeting.

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

With these services you upload the necessary documents in advance and then do a scheduled video call on their system.   It's like having a video teleconference meeting.

Well, I have have learnt something new today.

Never thought about that.

Although if I'd really thought about it, since I'm scheduled for a telemed appointment with my Doc this afternoon, I should have figured it out!

Old Age can make you smart and dumb all at the same time!

Edited by GinBoy2
2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Doesn't this all defeat the purpose of notary, where you show up in person, with ID and the document to be 'notarized'

Damn, if thats the case you could make up a stamp and do it yourself

i don't think the need to be there personally is that strong any more.  With all the video conferencing call  methods out there, one could see the person and his ID. Now the physical document and NOT a copy or fax with original signature might be a problem.  There are digital signing things out there withing networks and systems, heck we at work digitally sign PDFs WORDs etc.  But not so sure that would work outside of our little enclave.  Affixing the Notary stamp/seal obviously is the de facto standard.  But maybe they have moved into the modern age and there is some more universally usable system out there?  Many places I have delivered notarized things to, end up copying them for their records anyway

4 hours ago, khaepmu said:

What might they charge  I wonder. 

Pricing shown at their websites.  Typically pricing is higher if your current address is international.  Liking one site has a $79 price if your address in international; $25 if US.

I've checked out both Notarize and NotaryCam.

NotaryCam has a lot more detailed information about personal data privacy.

The document that I need notarized is related to banking. I am not comfortable uploading the information in this document to the databases of either of these two companies - no matter how much assurance they have about data privacy. More routine and less data sensitive transactions might be OK, but even then you're still required to give away a lot of personal information.

I may have to wait until the American Citizens Service section of the US Embassy reopens for routine notary services. That's likely to be a while....