Bangkok bans sale of alcohol 10th to 20th April

Jonathan Fairfield

As an earlier poster mentioned - this ten days could very well be extended. In fact I think it is highly likely it will be. The ban on alcohol sales could last several months. Also it makes a mockery of the whole thing when alcohol can still be bought in Pattaya from 6.00 AM until 6.00 PM. Very strong anti-alcohol lobby here that would prefer the country abstained from alcohol permanently. More control over the population.

7 hours ago, Flugg said:

They are running out of ideas to make all of this more miserable

But it only seems to be affecting Bangkok at this point which is a waste of time and effort. If people really want to buy alcohol it is fairly easy to do.

If you are a regular customer at a Mom and Pop shop there shouldn't be a problem to get your favourite tipple. 

In reality it will only affect 7/11 and supermarkets like BigC, Tesco and Makro etc.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

But it only seems to be affecting Bangkok at this point which is a waste of time and effort. If people really want to buy alcohol it is fairly easy to do.

If you are a regular customer at a Mom and Pop shop there shouldn't be a problem to get your favourite tipple. 

In reality it will only affect 7/11 and supermarkets like BigC, Tesco and Makro etc.

Exactly, my mom shop confirmed me today, i dont need to worry for my daily 4-6 big Chang are safed for the next days maybe next weeks. But only take away and drink at home. So nothing happened here in Bangkok. Dont worry, be happy and enjoy ur social distancing at home.

Edited by Fatman666
  • Like 1

No sweat off my brow... I haven't had a drop of alcohol in over 10 years, best life decision I ever made! besides the health factors, I look and feel 10 years younger... Turn out the lights, the party's over! Pattaya will never be the same again, and it will take many years to recover from this China madness, if it ever does... Anyone want to buy a bar? LMAO!!!!!!

41 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

how do they know where our local shop is though?

By enforcing all local shops to close, there's enough squaddies to man every single one of them, if the Puritans so desire. 

To assume that they won't know where your particular local shop is, is a bit silly ???? 

But again, I shouldn't give them any more ideas, should I! 

11 hours ago, bulmercke said:

As an earlier poster mentioned - this ten days could very well be extended. In fact I think it is highly likely it will be. The ban on alcohol sales could last several months. Also it makes a mockery of the whole thing when alcohol can still be bought in Pattaya from 6.00 AM until 6.00 PM. Very strong anti-alcohol lobby here that would prefer the country abstained from alcohol permanently. More control over the population.

There is a very vocal anti alcohol lobby here - I'm not sure how strong it is.

The brewing/distilling industry is an important part of the business portfolios of some very wealthy and influential families. Whilst they may accept a temporary ban, to prevent or limit Sonkran parties they will not be happy with a long term indefinite ban. Such a ban would allow bootlegging to become established.

Bootlegging flourished in prohibition era USA despite a relatively efficient and effective law enforcement system. Does Thailand have a law enforcement system system which could control or prevent it? The influential ones will be mindful of the threat to their markets.

The very influential people at the centre of power will have been consulted. Theirs' are the views that matter.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

By enforcing all local shops to close, there's enough squaddies to man every single one of them, if the Puritans so desire. 

To assume that they won't know where your particular local shop is, is a bit silly ???? 

But again, I shouldn't give them any more ideas, should I! 

To assume they will man every single one of them is also a bit silly

17 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

Highly intelligent,  now everyone will rush to stock up . How rational!!!!

No not everyone!

People who drink are convinced that everyone drink alcohol daily, for example, I do not drink a drop of alcohol, I only drink water and in my Thai family,  wife father brother sister nobody drinks daily and yet we are not extraterrestrials.

Samut Prakarn hasn't enacted similar ban yet, Makro, BigC and Foodland Srinakkarin as well as any shops along Bangna east of Srinakkharin rd intersection all the way to Mega Bangna is just past the Bangkok border, if you haven't managed to stock up yesterday, you know where to go, I'd expect maybe the governor of Samut Prakarn will wise up in the afternoon and implement the ban... so 11am-2pm today might be your last chance

Like many decisions in this fine country, there is SOME logic in it, and most people who complain about it do so from a selfish point of view. I drink once every 3-4 days, and I have a box of beer to get me through.

What amazes me about this new regulation though is because it's so 'last minute' people are crowding at shops like Makro & Big C (and even my local wholesaler, which is just a narrow shophouse). That's doing the opposite of promoting social distancing. They should have announced the regulation with more time for people to stock up without packing shops.