Bangkok bans sale of alcohol 10th to 20th April

Jonathan Fairfield

Ha, won't affect me I'm TT...I was one of those guys that once said never again and stuck to it.

I never did drink beer or whisky, just didn't like the taste that's all but I did drink red wine (Beaujolais, Burgundy). I was celebrating my birthday with some friends (my early 20's) and had one 'rum & black' to many...when I looked in the mirror I saw a 'green man' looking back at me ????(is that why some English pubs were called 'The Green Man? Ha!). I still remember that headache, Ha. Never touched it since...realised that I could still have a lot of fun without it AND remember it the next morning, Ha!????

Edited by TKDfella

1 hour ago, Centrum said:

Great idea to relocate to Nonthaburi a couple of years ago.  beer for all here.

Do they still have a bar/shop near the pier that only sells Chang? 

I used to go there in the mid 90s when Chang was stronger than now. It was always full of prison guards and me, quite surreal. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

When you say we are all getting fatter.,that is specific.....what part of that have'nt you noticed?

And I meant haven't you noticed the general population getting larger, not haven't you noticed something in my reply ????

18 hours ago, ChipButty said:

You speak for yourself 

Unlikely. I'd happily go without if Leo/Chang/Heineken were the only choices. Bought myself a handful of A Go Go IPA and will follow my preference for quality over quantity. Others are welcome to drink tasteless beer all they want - stacks of Leo boxes fill me with dread!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaiDong said:

I've become bored of beer recently, so I'll just use this as an opportunity to give it up for a while, we're all getting fatter now anyway... 

Right there with you mate. I am certainly bored of mainstream tasteless beer. My local car wash is still selling draft Guinness - all I need is to pretend to have my truck washed...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DualSportBiker said:

Unlikely. I'd happily go without if Leo/Chang/Heineken were the only choices. Bought myself a handful of A Go Go IPA and will follow my preference for quality over quantity. Others are welcome to drink tasteless beer all they want - stacks of Leo boxes fill me with dread!

I've been bombarded with adverts for Punk IPA, and whilst I love the taste, B111 for 330ml(B666 for 6 bottles) isn't worth it. 

12 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Right there with you mate. I am certainly bored of mainstream tasteless beer. My local car wash is still selling draft Guinness - all I need is to pretend to have my truck washed...

Local car wash in Thailand selling draught Guinness?? ????

Edited by MaiDong

18 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

this is true but it's even more of a challenge when exercise is forbidden too

it might be time to hit the pharmacies instead

I am using resistance bands - they work a treat and are portable. I even put them in my paniers when I ride along with a pair of press-up supports so I don't strain my wrists. Strained wrists don't work on bikes!

5 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Most long timers here have been through the rounds, the majority end up with Leo as their 'go to' beer.

Just now, MaiDong said:

Local car wash in Thailand selling Guinness?? ????

Oh, and more. They used to have a selection of maybe 30 craft beers, now just a handful. However, it is 5 mins away and rather plush with great music, killer rack of ribs and cheap car cleaning services. Shame I drive a truck I prefer covered in mud!

1 minute ago, DualSportBiker said:

I am using resistance bands - they work a treat and are portable. I even put them in my paniers when I ride along with a pair of press-up supports so I don't strain my wrists. Strained wrists don't work on bikes!

have you been away on your bike anywhere recently?

I'm thinking about sneaking out for a couple of days.....shh!

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Most long timers here have been through the rounds, the majority end up with Leo as their 'go to' beer.

Cheap and cheerful, and when tastebuds aren't what they once were, what's the point in spending the extra money ????

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Glad to be in the -1*most crowd. I never drank lager before I arrived here. Took me years to get used to fizzy water. Remember drinking a bottle of Amarit at a street party downtown when a Thai guy approached me, told me he worked for Kloster and that Amarit was Kloster that failed QC. It only took that to get me off lager again. I'll happily abstain if plain is the only option.

2 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Oh, and more. They used to have a selection of maybe 30 craft beers, now just a handful. However, it is 5 mins away and rather plush with great music, killer rack of ribs and cheap car cleaning services. Shame I drive a truck I prefer covered in mud!

And that's the problem, with prices high the demand is low, with low demand comes expensive unsold stock, and with that comes just a handful, and eventually none. ????