Bangkok bans sale of alcohol 10th to 20th April

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

I've been bombarded with adverts for Punk IPA, and whilst I love the taste, B111 for 330ml(B666 for 6 bottles) isn't worth it. 

Each to their own old boy. I'd rather have 1 or 2 tasty brews than a belly full of water. Especially as I drink 3+ litres of real water everyday! I have a large collection of aged single malts, the odd rare tequila and some parochial gins. I will be just fine...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

And that's the problem, with prices high the demand is low, with low demand comes expensive unsold stock, and with that comes just a handful, and eventually none. ????

So true. But now that I have a new job I will be doing everything I can to support their endeavours! I might even clean my truck!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Each to their own old boy. I'd rather have 1 or 2 tasty brews than a belly full of water. Especially as I drink 3+ litres of real water everyday! I have a large collection of aged single malts, the odd rare tequila and some parochial gins. I will be just fine...

Nice, I'm using my reluctance to spend that kind of money in order to stop drinking, don't encourage me! ????

Thought about running out and stocking up, but figured it is easy enough to just go 10 days without. Kind of a forced detox. No big deal at all. Just wonder what the reasoning is behind this. It is just assumed drinking is ALWAYS a social activity? That is certainly not always the case. And even so, with social distancing, and just a few people, the risk is so low.

Also, cases really do seem to be flattening out, so alot of this appears to be severe over reaction, and rather mindless policy. 

• Like 2

All these provinces where every 5th house brews Lao Khao and they're going to ban beer ?

For what purpose?

If people want to congregate to drink , they are setting up a situation where folk will be crowding into rooms like the speakeasys of old in order to hide it.

I never thought the country could get any sillier.

They may as well ban the sale of floor mats , and barbeques , and ladels....

• Like 1

all the quotes here i take it are from Farangs .. have you thought what repercussions this could have with the locals  if Thais want their Hong Thong And samsung  they will get it ..from where of whom is what we need to think about  eh ...just saying   

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thought about running out and stocking up, but figured it is easy enough to just go 10 days without. Kind of a forced detox. No big deal at all. Just wonder what the reasoning is behind this. It is just assumed drinking is ALWAYS a social activity? That is certainly not always the case. And even so, with social distancing, and just a few people, the risk is so low.

Also, cases really do seem to be flattening out, so alot of this appears to be severe over reaction, and rather mindless policy. 

i fully agree vlose bsrs ..clubs .. restaurant..logic  but for people at home with their family having a BBQ in the evening  or just a beer in front of the TV   this total ban is Draconian...plus loss of employment from brewing..to transportation..to sales lots of Thai families going to suffer  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Flugg said:

They are running out of ideas to make all of this more miserable

I don't understand why someone find it necessary being negative only. Every afford to fight Covid-19 are welcome. Actualy I am pleased with every action taken to limit the spreading of the virus.

I love Thai's but, the people who make these ridiculous BANS up really need to smarten up. As the WORLD gets excited about going "past" the apex of the infection curve and the curve descending, then these Thai rocket scientists decide to ban alcohol. Why not a month or two ago? Nearly everyone is wearing a mask, thank God, most are distancing by 6ft roughly. 9pm to 4am curfew, no problem. LEGALIZE the sale of hydroxychloroquine at Pharmacies ASAP, its a preventative, 70 yrs its been around and hasn't hurt anyone. It's NOT cocaine etc! It's a prophylactic/PROTECTION!!!

Like a condom! Does that ring a bell? 

20 hours ago, Flugg said:

They are running out of ideas to make all of this more miserable

I'm in #7 Nakhon Pathom.... got the short straw. 

Mom & Pop shops seems to think they can continue as normal, but with private wholesalers getting shut down along with the "Makro's"  they're finding it harder to get new stocks.

13 minutes ago, korse said:

I don't understand why someone find it necessary being negative only. Every afford to fight Covid-19 are welcome. Actualy I am pleased with every action taken to limit the spreading of the virus.

I think when policy comes across as rather arbitrary, sarcasm is a natural reaction. Not to be confused with someone being negative.

Turning the tap off for 10 days is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things as the Covid virus will still be here on the 11th day.

It's about finding long term sustainable solutions for tackling this virus and fall out issues like domestic abuse and overall improved driver's education to reduce deaths during Songkran, PPE distribution to retailers, travel restrictions and so on. The ban could've been limited to e.g still allow a couple to get a bottle of red wine for their dinner at home but that's more work innit.

Does 10 days ban help? It's like someone making a new years resolution to get fit next year and start hitting the weights like mad come January.

but by February s/he gives up and loses interest.  Did it help?  One may argue 'meeeh' 

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread

27 minutes ago, korse said:

CVD19 doesn't exist, do some research before you behave like a sheep. 

• Sad 1

the amount of beer and spirits sold in a few days will be alot.knowing what the thais and farang will drink.are they hoping if they drink at home during a lockdown that they will stay in.they may just hope on the bike or car to find more.lets wait and see what happens

• Like 1