Bangkok bans sale of alcohol 10th to 20th April

Jonathan Fairfield

On 4/9/2020 at 9:22 AM, nikmar said:

After my initial child like sulking , Ive started thinking along the lines of it being a good thing for me. Ive already packed in the cigarettes and now i can have a dry out as well. I WILL be a better man.

May I suggest my favourite hot weather thirst quenching drink instead of beer. Simply ice + soda water + fresh squeezed lime. It has the same bite in the throat as your 1st ice cold beer of the day....and healthy too!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

You can still head out to Nonthaburi or Pathumthani to purchase this 'most essential' item in this time of crisis, or is this ban for greater Bangkok.?

There gotta be plenty of roadside stalls and shops still selling, at least as their stocks last. Anybody managed to purchase booze during the ban? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

You can still head out to Nonthaburi or Pathumthani to purchase this 'most essential' item in this time of crisis, or is this ban for greater Bangkok.?

There gotta be plenty of roadside stalls and shops still selling, at least as their stocks last. Anybody managed to purchase booze during the ban? 

Not for long, SamutPrakarn is starting the ban tomorrow (Sat 11) so time's running out to stock up

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

May I suggest my favourite hot weather thirst quenching drink instead of beer. Simply ice + soda water + fresh squeezed lime. It has the same bite in the throat as your 1st ice cold beer of the day....and healthy too!

I've been enjoying just soda and ice recently, instead of coke/Fanta etc, good job really, too late to add anything else now! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CiderFizz said:

This will save about 700 deaths due to drunken driving over Songkran. 

Ahmm , not being allowed to drive around , let alone back to a home province , will sort out road deaths.

The  alcohol ban will  have nothing to do with it.

But in the rural areas where Lao Kao is the drink of the masses , and even more likely already to be   taking over as less  and less  people  have  the money for beer  , an alcohol  shop sales ban will  not change anything ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Said on here previously that there will be food riots eventually with this lockdown and the money starts running out, I think my prediction will be wrong. there will be alcohol riots and then food riots - or maybe steal the food as an afterthought

Sort of: after they loot the booze stocks, the rioters will get the "end of p*ss up munchies"?

2 hours ago, transam said:

Just a police/army state, smacks of communism to me....

I'm not so sure, back in the olden days the Soviets were amongst the biggest p*ssheads on the planet!

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thought about running out and stocking up, but figured it is easy enough to just go 10 days without. Kind of a forced detox. No big deal at all. Just wonder what the reasoning is behind this. It is just assumed drinking is ALWAYS a social activity? That is certainly not always the case. And even so, with social distancing, and just a few people, the risk is so low.

Also, cases really do seem to be flattening out, so alot of this appears to be severe over reaction, and rather mindless policy. 

Spidermike, I think that whilst there is an initial idea of ensuring even "unofficial Sonkran" doesn't happen (probably not really coherent or thought through) you miss the main driving force. The chance to stand up, in one of the uniforms so beloved in this country: military, police or civil service, and get oneself "on the telly" making an announcement which demonstrates how powerful and important you are! The big brewing/distilling magnates, who are very much part of the wealthy and influential cartel who are the real power and influence here, will let it run for a couple of weeks, to show willing; but if their business is going to be permanently affected, and particularly if bootlegging on a commercial scale looks likely, (which it will), they will make some calls.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JAG said:

Spidermike, I think that whilst there is an initial idea of ensuring even "unofficial Sonkran" doesn't happen (probably not really coherent or thought through) you miss the main driving force. The chance to stand up, in one of the uniforms so beloved in this country: military, police or civil service, and get oneself "on the telly" making an announcement which demonstrates how powerful and important you are! The big brewing/distilling magnates, who are very much part of the wealthy and influential cartel who are the real power and influence here, will let it run for a couple of weeks, to show willing; but if their business is going to be permanently affected, and particularly if bootlegging on a commercial scale looks likely, (which it will), they will make some calls.

Good point. And it is likely that they not only influence the government, but like in the US, they actually OWN the government. 

On 4/9/2020 at 3:18 PM, cyril sneer said:

this is true but it's even more of a challenge when exercise is forbidden too

it might be time to hit the pharmacies instead

Since when has exercise been forbidden? Have you never heard of push-ups? Try googling "body weight exercises," or "aerobics." I'm old, so I do Tai Chi because it helps balance, and it also seems to keep my legs strong. Doesn't do anything for weight loss, though. There's a Qi Kong routine called shibashi that's good for old people, too.

18 hours ago, MaiDong said:

I've become bored of beer recently, so I'll just use this as an opportunity to give it up for a while, we're all getting fatter now anyway... 

I decided at New Year to do dry January.  I've still not had a drink so this not drinking doesn't bother me.  I should perhaps point out that I have (had until this current situation) a very active social life and despite not drinking I still go out to pubs, bars and clubs at least twice a week.  I just drink soda water instead of alcohol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Lucky enough we went shopping at Makro just after I posted yesterday. Plenty of stock and no panic buying (I guess others didn't see a ban coming here). This morning at 7-11 for coffee I noticed empty shelves where the alcohol was.

Ps. not all in pic below was for us ???? 

sMw_upc8USYmv_DUGUEspPVmatMHb0w3dWt6WTFY5UILurzE2ZRsxewTr_NSTs7bzUJud72deUM_pol4sJHiy8GHCPd56DHEZF4FOF60W1WArsa49r4wREwDFmsfH99bFn9eRl6V1MMtde7mwyFk9Ufnlklr3b1iIz86VZmoeMOBHXxGvisXb5mPbirNmjF9EUEoGHCH9BFQ1tq8NEgB9PAzfvDL5dZkPR03oBRnkPBd0IftmBPICRrt78Nw3pb_u7AizlOast7uyzIo5iVv4Lm5it3KUCf0djeYoYRqwCppzH7HUDPUugPgJSP0oOFZf09HujIdzeBdZlshqc14wI9f5CtbcghTGZlxsr8IKvLq9rdzmZfa1DrE_74UPb1TGP6geiXqos9HZ6EJ5PbLfC3gJU80Zt9xHCpEjy8EoNhYX9Add5ZKn6Eak2CNvohzQ_uVhWBY_NRQc8wBnzCoWlcYHNg5AbcimS7CIt9o7fDorLBXeV4ULfCYYOyFW5wBgMAWHab_RhSShypUdqRvyg7H2WsKryhAu347taigKBrJmvAHPQgiW1QHFcMTUmjSOiMzZCCpe3rlzEyhLBgQ7JRASIbOAVVUaNcm6hyOadeaibOJK3orjKO26llvcOXo3GOPz9CQJ3zNXM5uSJW6i1zylsw_vRSN7u8JKwA5GVYmLEwrljuzxY0kDa125g=w703-h937-no

Your going to be arrested for hoarding ????

10 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I decided at New Year to do dry January.  I've still not had a drink so this not drinking doesn't bother me.  I should perhaps point out that I have (had until this current situation) a very active social life and despite not drinking I still go out to pubs, bars and clubs at least twice a week.  I just drink soda water instead of alcohol. 

You've made it then! Congrats to you! You should be very proud of yourself!!

I've stopped before, and started again, and as with fags, I'll probably start and stop for the rest of my life, often with 6-9 month gaps between shopping and starting, I'm alright with that ????

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Just left Big C, PathumT, still for sale and saw people walk out with box Leo in their cart.

And my wife left a mama shop here in Bangkok with a six pack of Chang. 

Edited by Fatman666

3 hours ago, MaiDong said:

You've made it then! Congrats to you! You should be very proud of yourself!!

I've stopped before, and started again, and as with fags, I'll probably start and stop for the rest of my life, often with 6-9 month gaps between shopping and starting, I'm alright with that ????

Stopping for a while is still beneficial, so well done.   

I quit smoking about 7 years ago, did it totally cold turkey, one minute I was a smoker the next I wasn't and haven't touched one since that day.   I quit drinking for a year after my 31st birthday and again for a year when I was 44. 

With booze I just wanted to stop for a while and both times it just kept going until when I got to one year dry I figured that was enough.   

This time I'm also not doing it for any specific length of time, but may do it longer or even semi permanently as I'm really liking not being hungover and not sticking so much cash into other people pockets!!   

On 4/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, ChrisKC said:

No ban or restriction in Lampang. I think this is because the Authorities know we are all moderate drinkers here and can manage without for a few days!

Ban in place now ther. But only for a few days. Just to cover the Songkran period.