my girlfriend wants gold

kiever

20 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Hello

if i understand well she doesn't work (Except to take care of you and your money)

can i ask why she is unable to earn any money by herself? 

(Of course i don't mean during this special period of time with corona

but the years before)

You want to be sure if she loves you really?

It's easy, just stop to give to her even 1 baht and look how it turns

you should discover very quick an ugly side of your ''girlfriend''

good luck anyway

Good suggestion of an experiment. I hope he has the guts to try this out. 

• Like 1

Lots of fear in Thailand now, due to corona and deep job loss for many folks. She's getting older and maybe sees little future for herself without some hard security. Sure 200K baht does not look like much to many farangs, but might mean a great deal to some county girl. 

Cannot recommend sending gold bracelets through the Thai mail system.  Wait till you return to Thailand and then nip over to Hong Kong and get a discount on some golden goodies.

You will deserve a good <deleted> then, bro.

This is more undeniable proof that physical attraction is everything.

if you are not tall and good looking, unless you find a snowflake of a woman, these things are going to happen. You are going to need to provide for her. I’m sorry, this is just female nature. If you are not a young, high testosterone good looking tall guy, this is what you will need to endure. If you don’t have good genetics, you’re going to need to compensate with it, somehow. In this case, money and resources. 

I’m sorry this is happening to you, but this is just how it is. Women are much shallower than men and they appreciate good genetics as it’s evolutionary programmed wiring for them to think “find the fittest male specimen and reproduce.” It’s not her fault, this is just how women are. ALL women are like this. I’ve done quite a bit of research on this and I know that it’s a tough pill to swallow, but physical attraction is more Important than everything else to women. Why do you think women get with loser bum drug addicts? Because the man is Hot. Women are willing to be with loser criminal scumbag badboys because the guy is attractive and gets their you know what, moist. This is an inconvenient truth about life. Women’s lust for good looking,  tall dominant men trumps everything else. They don’t care about how rich you are, how good a guy you might be, if you’re physically attractive, they won’t be able to contain themselves. 

I really do feel for you, I really do. But this is how human beings are. I suggest you find another girl who isn’t quite so greedy and selfish, or just be single, it’s going to save you many headaches.

Best of luck to you, brother. Just dump her and move on. She probably doesn’t love you, as sad as I am to say this. Find another fish in the sea.

• Like 2

Someone's placed a bug in her mind or she's started thinking on her own about what would happen with her in case you pass away as you are twice older than her. Her youth and beauty are passing and she would like to have some insurance.

Buy her one, two or three bahts of gold and see how the relationship continues.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Sorry, 23 year old Bar Girls do not think that way.

I did not see anything in the op about her being a 23 yr old bargirl... unless it came out later... but yes, that would change things... just a girl wanting better compensation for her services... everyone wants more. And nice dinners are not salary. 

I’m surprised you and other foreigners on this board don’t know about Thai culture or behavior. Your girlfriend is just scared about her future and needs stability. Most, of not all Thai girls see gold as stability. It is something they can pawn or sell at a moments notice if they need money. Take a look at all the ads right now because if corona virus. All the gold shops are advertising about buying, selling and pawning in their shops. Thai people as well as the rest of us are having issues with money and jobs due to corona virus. The only issue I would have about her request is it comes during this difficult time. Think of the picture you have painted of yourself with her. She thinks you are rich! Therefore, she is under the impression that you can and should buy gold for her. Yes, western women don’t normally request this but some do. But most western women don’t do what thai women do such as taking care of their man, looking 100% more beautiful after 30 and so on. You can’t compare. 

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I live in Thailand

in a small village in the north during years and now in Pattaya.

You are right about the village, but imo you take it too personaly.

i don't know your wife, so i can not say about her, but the ''normal''

women in the village are working hard with their men in the ricefields or others jobs

even if they don't have a salary they are not the ''lazy'' one (Whiches are just looking

at the easy way with a farang to take care of all their expenses and wishes) i was refering to.

Not taking it personally, just surprised at your claim. Even what you call "normal" women earning a good wage probably have high levels of debt or a family tree to prop up. The ones earning good money that have saved it and are financially secure, looking for a husband on equal terms,  IMO would be scarcer than hen's teeth.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

That has not been true for a long long time... in my area in Central Thailand, even Burmese 

It's still true for my GF's village near Chiang Rai, rice farming. The fields are owned by absentee landlords. 200 baht/day when planting and harvesting is on. 300 baht/day minimum wage does not apply there.

• Like 1

please dont be stupid, gold now and what's next, these women love to talk together how to get more out of guys especially farang guys, do yourself a favour dont buy her gold she will probably leave you anyway if you do this. save yourself money remember the old saying "there are plenty of fish in the sea" if she leaves you because she is only seeking financial support which you seem to be giving her and her family anyway then maybe its a good thing for you. i am sure the first guy that comes along an offers her 150/200,000 in gold she will jump for anyway, so save yourself the expense... think with your brain which god gave you and not your cock....

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kiever said:

i gave her about 15k-20k every month for her expenses

For this money a 7/11 girl has to work 1,5 - 2 months. Does she work? If no, why not? Say her that she can save money. Ok, saving money is not what Thais can do...

• Like 1

I'm just guessing here but you have got to be an adult with the basic common sense we are all born with, and I suggest you use that same common sense. Really no need to be asking anyone what to do. Wise up, da*n!

1 minute ago, Sundown said:

You paid to her a monthly fee for 2,5 years so she is a prostitute. She asks for more, that's part of her job. If you want the service not to be interrupted, pay the gold. 

how about an incentive method of employment to ensure you get bang for your buck, as it were, put her on performance related pay; win/win 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's still true for my GF's village near Chiang Rai, rice farming. The fields are owned by absentee landlords. 200 baht/day when planting and harvesting is on. 300 baht/day minimum wage does not apply there.

200 baht a day would be 6000 a month... not the 2-3000 you noted. 

22 hours ago, stuartd1 said:

It's called redistribution of wealth.

If you have a long term relationship in the West you could be had for a split of assets by law on breaking up, much more expensive!

Then you do it wrong.

Girlfriend ??    Are you going anywhere or is this it ?

My wife & I have purchased gold over the years & yes good negotiable pension fund for us both 

or one, if one of us dies & 5 times the interest the banks give (tax free)

If you love her & trust her go for it, if not, get out or say NO, which may amount to the same thing

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Gold is her pension, the rest is just living expenses.  Either understand  that or ditch her, but if you ditch her, it's not her fault for asking, its yours for not understanding the 'deal' in a Thai Farang relationship.    She is just being normal. I had a 'deal' with my wife for the first 10 years of our relationship, until she qualified for half my pension when I died.  Each year I would buy her one item of 1 Baht gold on her birthday, or upgrade one, 1 Baht item to a 2 Baht item. It worked out well for us both.  We both own that gold now and trade it as we require. 

Let me guess, your batting well above your average?  There is no need for a realistic, grounded and caring westerner to enter a "deal" to have an honest, loving and respectful relationship with a Thai woman.  And then there are people like yourself, if you must have a Ferrari then you are going to get ripped off when you have it serviced.

14 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Ok, saving money is not what Thais can do...

my wife is a terrific saver as is most of her family. I know many Thai who have saved money to build houses and prepare for larger expenditures... I doubt the % is too much different than it is in the West... I have heard that 50% of people in USA don't have $400 in the bank... 

The wedge started thin, now it is widening with a vengeance.

If she were my girlfriend, i would hope her communications with me were more of the " I am missing you" nature. We can't be sure, but her heart seems to be with the gold!

3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

200 baht a day would be 6000 a month... not the 2-3000 you noted. 

Yes it would, if we make the assumption work in the rice fields is available every day. There are times when it grows by itself.

• Haha 2

Thai's hold much value in owning gold probably for the fact it has been used as money for the past 5000 years with no reason why it wont be used as money for the next 5000 years.  That being said your GF sounds like she has no substance or character.  I love my wife for characteristics like when she damage's her 5 year old phone and i offer to buy her a new one she will decline and reply "it still works".  She has no interest in spending money on materialistic items, though i have no say in the fact our son's must attend private schools, i don't tell her but their Grandmother pays for that ????

• Like 1