BANGKOK
PhuketTeacher

Salary Decrease for unforseeable future

Hello all, 

I'm creating an account on here to gather some much needed experience and knowledge from expat community. Due to this dreaded C word (covid19), it has of course affected everyone around the world. I am a teacher in Phuket for a government school and working under a university who are in charge of the contracts. We are 2 weeks into our latest salary and they have told as going forward we will only be getting half our salaries. All teachers in the project have 12 month contract and were always to be paid April regardless, but for May and June we can understand as we may notbe returning until July 1st. 

So with that said, are there any other government workers, teachers etc who have been given the same situation. Is there any advice on what can be done to tackle this, espically for April salary as we had short notice and told only recently to 'spend wisely'.

Thanks in advance 

R

• Like 1

I'm in a very similar situation. Were expecting cuts in our salary for the month of June. Can't see what can be done about this. I know teachers working in other schools and they don't know if they will receive any pay at all.

Troll post removed.   Continue with inflammatory, off-topic nonsense and you will receive a suspension.  

• Like 1

I have just renewed my 1-year contract at the start of this year. I would be surprised if the school doesn't honor my contract that extends up to 2021. 

If you have a contract with the school, then they should not give you a pay cut.

Just in case they do, I guess labor laws would be on my side for the meantime. Renewing the contract next year would be an entirely different story.

• Like 1

If you have an existing contract, then how is the school legally justifying a pay cut?

• Like 2

There are no workers rights here - trade unions is an unknown word so basically you will get or not get what the bosses feel they want to get

Suggest you consider online work  by building up a database of potential students

Again, I feel sorry for you but my wife & I have had no income from the day we closed our business on18th March  (I understand but tough).

Paid full salaries in for April & now we just wait until things return to some sort of normalcy

(It will not be the same for at least 8 months I believe).

Have to say though if I was a teacher I do not think Thailand would be a financial money spinner

In particular if under 30 with no savings behind me