Only 1.68 million of over 24m applicants qualify for first instalment of handouts

snoop1130

As of 2019 Thailand has a Labour force of approximately 38m, of those 11m work in agriculture so should not be affected, that leaves 27m who may be affected. You exclude the 2m that work for the government and that would leave 25m that are potentially eligible so if 24.2m people applied it’s saying 96.8% of the entire non farm and government workforce is out of work. That’s a bit hard to believe even for the Thai government.

it looks as if the entire population saw this as a big freebie and applied for every member of their family whether they were actually eligible or not. The result is most likely that a lot of the genuine eligible applicants were not successful either.

http://www.nso.go.th/sites/2014en/Survey/social/labour/LaborForce/2019/January2019.pdf

Edited by AJBangkok
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

My brother in law i think is a 'freelancer' he provides music for funerals, weddings, tambon etc and he just got accepted for this payment, got a Krung Thai bank deposit sms just now, he's delighted.

He is also telling us that TOT are offering a free speed upgrade to the next level for the next month. All he needed to apply was my wifes ID card.

Great idea too as Internet is definetely a bit sluggish these days.

6 minutes ago, overt2016 said:

My son and one of his friends were laid off from their part-time job at a restaurant.

Neither have received any relief. Who can they ask "Why not"

Did they apply? Have they actually been told they won't get it? As I understand it, the first round are not the only ones who will get it, they will still be sending out to others but haven't got through the process yet, whatever that may be.

42 minutes ago, Saltire said:

My brother in law i think is a 'freelancer' he provides music for funerals, weddings, tambon etc and he just got accepted for this payment, got a Krung Thai bank deposit sms just now, he's delighted.

He is also telling us that TOT are offering a free speed upgrade to the next level for the next month. All he needed to apply was my wifes ID card.

Great idea too as Internet is definetely a bit sluggish these days.

Great idea if the applicants get it, which most won’t

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The wife is not very happy, like most Thais she has 2-3 sources of income that have all dried up, some waitressing, online selling, real-estate etc. When she applied online she chose the online vendor as its her main income. Its only now after applying that they wont pay online vendors, WHY WAS IT ON THE LIST ????.

why would she choose online vendor over her waitressing job?

Anyone could set up an online vendor business in 5 minutes

• Haha 1

This is when a country needs to step up and pay for everyone.  If America paid, it would affect America's tax base by 0.00000000001 percent.  Goodwill be huge, and when China and America get mad at each other, people will remember America's goodwill once again.  They do fund about everything on this planet that everyone else takes for granted, or, amazingly, complains about.  

1 minute ago, cyril sneer said:

why would she choose online vendor over her waitressing job?

Anyone could set up an online vendor business in 5 minutes

As I said , she chose the online as it has been her main source of income for the past 2-3 years, part of the application process was showing an established online presence (so people couldn't set up then apply), which she was able to do, a Facebook shop with years of transactions etc.

In hindsight she would have been better choosing the waitress but thought she was doing the right and honest thing.

The thing is the online has actually shut down, her suppliers are shut, the transport has stopped etc.

One of my company's contractors tried applying for it, and got knocked back despite being qualified on paper. Like many here, the reason given was that ID records didn't match, which is BS cause you use the same ID details to do tax returns etc.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

In the wifes case, the wholesaler shut down 3 weeks ago, so she cant buy product to sell, not to mention problems taking it to the post office to send.

The main thing is, you cannot reapply. its almost like the set-up a sting operation not to pay.

Bingo!!!   Give that man a cigar!  They were never going to pay everyone that qualified.   Over the border down Malaysia way single people are getting 8000 baht/month and married couple 15000. And a lot of people qualify!  As more Thais hear of that Malaysian government action the level of disappointment/anger will grow even higher.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Bingo!!!   Give that man a cigar!  They were never going to pay everyone that qualified.   Over the border down Malaysia way single people are getting 8000 baht/month and married couple 15000. And a lot of people qualify!  As more Thais hear of that Malaysian government action the level of disappointment/anger will grow even higher.

And of course a census of 24 million people which will come in handy at a later date

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So 24m people need the money and only 1.68m will get it, it's going to get ugly in weeks

I think it was 24 million staked a claim, different than needing the money

i also saw this as a way to do a census which could be costly for some in the future.

Edited by Almer
soelling and additional paragraph

Too late now to edit my previous post (#56) but some more very approximate number crunching:

10% of merchants who applied qualified,

20% of employers who applied qualified,

3% of employees who applied qualified.

Statistics can reveal a lot, or at least provoke a lot of thought (depending on your scepticism) can't they!

Edited by JAG