Only 1.68 million of over 24m applicants qualify for first instalment of handouts

snoop1130

My wife owns a mini mart. Needless to say, business has been reduced to near zero. She went online to apply. After spending 30 minutes applying on her phone, then another hour applying on a desktop, the system accepted neither application. It appears to be designed to reject applications. What can one say. The DNA. The do nothing army. 

• Like 1

My wife has a small shop out front of the school and no school for 2 or three months she applied and got it!

but she applied very early and tried many times   and she's happy with any amount and 5 thousand is a big help

I know 4 ladies, who did not see a satang!

2 are working as masseuses (1 in a hotel spa) and 2 are waitresses (1 restaurant, 1 pub).

How on Earth are they not qualified?

Their businesses have been shot down the earliest!

3 have now gone back to Isan (where else?!) and are trying to live of the "farm"...

Thailand is a joke!

• Like 1

should have been done via existing company payroll systems for company employees and the tax return data base for SMEs and sole traders.

any small business/sole trader that has not been declaring income for tax purposes cant expect a handout now.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

i very much doubt they looked at every application individually, i expect they're using a lotto-style system to choose who gets rewarded

possibly why the government lottery has been suspended, maybe their computers are needed

Gracious me, I didn't know that the lottery had been suspended - interesting then that only 10% of lottery ticket sellers qualify!

On 4/9/2020 at 6:43 AM, baansgr said:

You can just imagine, people never paid a penny tax, families registering in-laws that are imprisoned or been abroad for years..the list would be endless...but right, nothing ventured, nothing gained

In a somewhat analogous way, my parents always had their own business, a used car lot, then two restaurants and a lounge.  They never paid themselves much money on the advice of their accountant who said that money would just be taxed.  While true, it also meant they did not pay much into the USA's social security system.  A defensible position, if one then takes the money and saves or invests it smartly.  Well my parents did neither of course.  They got literally the absolute minimum social security benefit payout now.  So dodgers beware.  Actions have consequences. 

33 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Thailand appears to have 7.4 TRILLION baht (US$ 226 Billion) in International reserves.

It's not my money, but I think they should just pay the 5,000 to everyone over 18.  There is no doubt that many won't need it, but it makes sense to pump the money into the economy to try and keep things afloat.  And calm.

Very myopic to accept only 7% of applicants.  93% are going to hold a grudge.

• Like 2

Wife and her sister got emails they were approved yesterday. Freelance cleaners now out of work. No I can't save them with my fat pension, as I'm just a lowly teacher currently out of work also, hoping the next term begins on time with online teaching. I've been dipping into savings which are now running low, and feeding their families with another Visa I've got to worry about, not just the one in my passport.

The emails said the payments couldn't go through due to last name discrepancies. Both are long divorced and back to maiden names on the ID cards, but never changed the ex's names on the bank accts, and thus had to open new ones. Then the system said the payments would go through to the new accts, yet still haven't.

Don't worry, that fat watch guy definitely needs his 3.6 million Patek Philippe to keep checking, making sure these payments go through on time.

2 hours ago, rbkk said:

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=80&language=ENG  Thailand appears to have 7.4 TRILLION baht (US$ 226 Billion) in International reserves. Why do they need to borrow 1 Trillion and appear financially unable to help their people? A very sad, and it appears, unnecessary situation.

I am no financial  expert, but as I have been reading it, other countries have been putting they  cash in to Thailand,as the Thai Baht  is now considered a safe currency, is that money part of  the international reserves ?, and Thailand can not use it hence having to borrow the 1 trillion .

If so ,can Thailand give the money back plus interest if a country wants it back, which the way things are going most countries will want their money back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If there is one certainty to all of this, it is that the army does not have an ethical or benevolent bone, in it's entire body. So, is this really about the "people". if they are really making this so difficult? 

That’s right, they have no human rights bones in their bodies, they announce $60 billion in helping the local economy, then claim mass testing isn’t worth it, and too expensive

9 hours ago, JAG said:

Interesting to note that the category with by far the greatest "success rate" was employers!

By my (shaky) mathematics it works out, overall, as a 7% success rate.

Oh dear - it would be very interesting to know exactly what the criteria applied were; apart of course, as posted here already, who you are or who you know! 

Fat chance of that of course.

If the rate you worked it out is 7%, then that is just shocking, during a shutdown of an economy, little work for many weeks, paying 7%, monsters at work

they probably used isoc to assess the anger around, and maybe thought they could get away with distributing a lot less to those in need, as people are just still in a state of passive aggression, without the aggression erupting 

I noticed on the stock exchange this last two weeks, one of the biggest movers was CRC, central department stores and retail, that should be a slow mover, as very little retail is open until the earliest May, they are just using this as an excuse for more wealth distribution for themselves

Edited by humbug

On 4/9/2020 at 11:05 AM, fforest1 said:

Sir the name hooker is very crude...

I think a better name would be a "therapeutic personal assistant stimulation provider" 

I call them tour guides.  They speak the local language, know the area, one that I knew had her own motorbike and she biked me around town on my first trip.  Another I knew on my first trip had a relative with car and he drove us around a few times, out to Nong Nooch, the one million year park, etc.  We enjoyed each other's company, at least I think we did.  I compensated them fairly for their time and expertise I think.

8 hours ago, humbug said:

That’s right, they have no human rights bones in their bodies, they announce $60 billion in helping the local economy, then claim mass testing isn’t worth it, and too expensive

The army is not accountable to the people.  That is rarely a good thing for the people or the country in the long run

• Like 1

I've had to have a word with her in doors, she's to Jai Dee NO LENDING MONEY we dont know how long this will go on for and we dont know when we will start to earn money, One Thai woman we know turned up at the house the other day and parked her a$$ outside we have not seen her for ages first words out of my mouth What does she want.........? she has borrowed money from my wife before 10,000 Baht it took ages to get it back.

A Thai family I know are complaining they will not get the handouts I have known the for about 12 years I asked them have you ever paid any tax? and they earned good money between them enough to build a house back in Nakorn Nowhere and now their landlady wont give them rent free on their house here in Phuket, I tried to explain to them maybe the landlady cannot because she borrowed money to build them houses and rooms.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The army is not accountable to the people.  That is rarely a good thing for the people or the country in the long run

The DNA. Do nothing army. The NFP army. Not for the people. MTBA Moving Thailand backwards at an incredible pace Army.

Do they really think a Baht 5,000 handout to a small number of 'those that qualify' is going to fix this problem? Even if they gave Baht 5,000 to every man, woman and child, it still wouldn't make up for the loss of income so far................. and the problem is still ongoing.

And because of this already massive and ongoing loss of income, people will not be able to cover their costs and a massive wave of defaults is therefore just around the corner which will paralyse the banks.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:12 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

Rather than tell us how many didn't get the payment, tell us why the majority didn't qualify.

I think the reasons would be beyond comical.

All about who you know, in the establishment .

Nothing new , under the sun ..

On 4/9/2020 at 6:48 PM, scubascuba3 said:

So 24m people need the money and only 1.68m will get it, it's going to get ugly in weeks

Nah, at the first sign of problems, the government will cave. less money for them of course, but hey...

Edited by ParkerN