Tighter measures considered as COVID-19 infection rate remains unsatisfactory

snoop1130

Tighter measures considered as COVID-19 infection rate remains unsatisfactory

000_1Q39TS-1.jpg

New COVID-19 infections in Thailand took a nosedive from 111 yesterday to 54 today, as two more related deaths, both elderly people, were officially recorded.

The CCSA’s spokesman, Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin, said that 54 new cases, though less than half of yesterday’s, was not satisfactory, as he hinted at more stringent measures.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha chaired a CCSA meeting today to assess the performance of all concerned in the efforts to fight coronavirus, and to discuss whether the current night time curfew should be prolonged.

Dr. Taweesin said the CCSA decided to continue the current curfew, but pleaded with members of the public to follow advice to stay at home and to observe strict social distancing. He also stressed the need for mandatory quarantine at state facilities for anyone arriving from abroad, and home quarantine for those leaving Bangkok for the provinces.

Accumulated infections in the country have reached 2,423, with Bangkok and its neighbouring province of Nonthaburi claiming the most, at 1,217. People aged between 20 and 29 account for most of those infected.

One of today’s fatalities was a 74-year old French man, who developed symptoms on March 27th and was admitted to a hospital in Chon Buri. X-rays showed a lung infection, and he subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. The second was an 82-year old Thai man who was hospitalized in Samut Prakan on March 25th.

Of the 54 new cases in 16 provinces, 21 are in Bangkok, 11 in Pattani, 3 each in Chon Buri, Pathum Thani and Phuket, 2 in Yala and 1 each in Chiang Mai, Chaiyaphum, Trang, Nakhon Sawan, Nonthaburi, Narathiwat, Phatthalung, Phitsanuloke, Lampang and Samut Prakan.

Dr Taweesin praised Phuket provincial administration’s use of active and widespread screening measures for contributing to the decline in the new infection rate there.

As far as medical personnel are concerned, he said that 80 have been infected, accounting for 3.4% of the national total.

The Foreign Ministry, meanwhile, reported that about 12,000 Thais, of the 14,664 who have registered their intention to return to Thailand, have already arrived. On top of that, there are as many as 10,000 more who have not registered.

Dr. Taweesin said that only about 200 will be allowed to return each day, considering the current capacity of state quarantine facilities.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tighter-measures-considered-as-covid-19-infection-rate-remains-unsatisfactory/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-04-09

15 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Got to love those IR thermometers. 

Hope they realise the laser target finder can severely damage the retina if they point it directly into a person's eye.

I dont even know if they're effective at that distance...the ones Ive experienced, the security

has to touch it to the forehead...and I always keep my eyes closed. 

41 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Got to love those IR thermometers. 

Hope they realise the laser target finder can severely damage the retina if they point it directly into a person's eye.

No lasers in these, just IR camera. I have the laser+IR thermometer... OK for checking hard surfaces but on skin the temperature readings are totally off. The body iR thermometer is relatively accurate on skin but off whenever there's 30 cm or more distance to measuring... Using Omron, Beurer and Xiaomi IR, and ... orange/black rubbish from Hong Kong I didn't order, but seller sent me the wrong thing and I couldn't be bothered to send it back. Doesn't have any brand written on it.

• Like 1

Is it possible to go to other provinces now or are they stopping all traffic flow. I know a lot of Thai people that want to visit their home provinces and will probably try to soon. Are they turning cars around leaving the greater Bangkok area? Is it possible to get to the Northeast or North? What about trains? Just curious. I'm staying put myself.

• Like 1

I can see the writing on the wall for a full lockdown, curfew, whatever they want to call it. However, in Hua Hin yesterday we went to a local market for veggies, etc. As we drove out of the soi on the way home there is a small bank branch on the corner. I will not name it for obvious reasons, but, the Wife exclaimed "Look at all those people around the door !!!" There must have been at least thirty Thais of varying age groups, all milling at the entrance, grasping pieces of paper, with one member of staff in uniform answering questions, and directing people inside, where it was already packed to the rafters...........Social distancing.........Pah !!!!

Edited by AhFarangJa

13 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

No lasers in these, just IR camera. I have the laser+IR thermometer... OK for checking hard surfaces but on skin the temperature readings are totally off. The body iR thermometer is relatively accurate on skin but off whenever there's 30 cm or more distance to measuring... Using Omron, Beurer and Xiaomi IR, and ... orange/black rubbish from Hong Kong I didn't order, but seller sent me the wrong thing and I couldn't be bothered to send it back. Doesn't have any brand written on it.

yep, agree. I have one here thats industrial, measuring range is from -20C to 360C. So measuring points of a degree at around the 37C mark not very accurate.

They have already banned alcohol for a week or more in many provinces and i'm guessing a Provincial or even Tambon  travel lock down is definitely on the cards just to stop the die hard Songkran revellers.  

Edited by Sharp

Can some one answer a simple question for me?  It has to do with trust.  18 yeas ago I came to Thailand, fell in love and married a wonderful Thai lady and now live life in this wonderous country. I went to immigration and applied for a married to a Thai citizen visa, went through the process and was deemed trustworthy enough to get this visa. 18 visas later I am faced with renewing this again. At this point in time, our prime minister has found it prudent to institute safety measures for all the citizens, visitors and long term visa holders, a job well done!  If I and others have been deemed trustworthy for years why would it not be prudent to extend these visas for the period we are living this terrible viruses has us in its grip. On the selfish side I really don’t want to expose myself to the crowds at the immigration office. On the other side of this is the IOs, they go to work knowing they are going to be in an environment of exposure. Now add to this, when they finish, they get to go home and continue the worry of giving this terrible scourge to their families. Maybe it is time to trust the retirees and those of us that have Thai families

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharp said:

They have already banned alcohol for a week or more in many provinces and i'm guessing a Provincial or even Tambon  travel lock down is definitely on the cards just to stop the die hard Songkran revellers.  

Would have been simpler if people just wouldn't sit close together and share glasses while drinking and break curfew to do it. Will they also consider banning food to get people to stop dipping their individual spoons into the common dishes?

5 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Apart from a full 24hr lockdown (which seems completely unnecessary given the numbers here) I am not too sure what other measures are possible. 

How about banning grocery shopping.....Only home delivery....

How about limiting what you can buy from a grocery store...

How about needing permission to go anywhere.....

Come on get creative.....The possibilities are endless for more unnecessary restrictions...

27 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

Some observers have speculated that: a country shouldn't count tests if they also have a filter that would prevent most of those results from being counted once the tests were performed (say, for example, a rule that the only results counted would be those which were simultaneously done at two specific labs and any tests done at any other lab wouldn't be counted). If we do that, we'd go back to around 25k tests done in Thailand so far. So, around 300 or so per million. 

Edited by JCP108
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mrloy99 said:

we need to know how many tests are being done..otherwise the figures are meaningless.There should be at least a percentage figure of how many positive over how many tested.

The positive percwntage will be high

Due the fact their tracing and testing peoplewho have been in contact. With someone whos infected

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I see additional lock down hours country wide coming soon probably after next week.

Maybe they should consider a total lock down of Bangkok/Nontaburi, as that's where most infections start

from. 20 days, No-one in, no-one out, 

• Like 2

I hate to say it but countrywide adoption of social distancing practiced 24 hours a day is not going to happen here. There will always be large groups who think it doesn't apply to them, or that the virus isn't going to bother them while they sneak in a few quick meetups. Unless they have a close family or friend who gets the virus they'll think it won't effect them, and even then they might not. This brings us to the crossroads. Is herd immunity a better alternative to shutting down the economy while people social distance? Given the low death rates so far I would argue the answer may be yes. It is likely that herd immunity is well underway already since the Chinese have had such a large presence for the duration of the virus spreading.

• Like 2

And all this nonsense because of some fancy CGI in the news ...

Bill Gates did and still does a good job in holding the whole world hostage. [using the WHO]

Who would have thought how easy it is to create a scamdemic and make the whole world go crazy.

Interesting times ... next is people not wearing masks get hung on a tree like back in the old days ?

People not doing Social Distancing get shot on the spot ?

.... seems not too far fetched after reading this thread.

• Thanks 1