Tighter measures considered as COVID-19 infection rate remains unsatisfactory

snoop1130

Somebody posted a video here with a German doctor saying that if the old and vulnerable were locked away and let the young out  the virus would disappear just as quickly as isolation.

There was also a FB video of a doctor at a NY hospital saying he wasn't scared of the virus anymore as he understood it.

Saying that you need 15 to 30 mins exposure to get it and that most people gave it to themselves by touching a surface band then touching their eyes or mouth.

• Thanks 1

My son's imminent discharge from his national service has presented us with a problem. Neighbours have suggested he need to quarantine for two weeks before rejoining us in the family home.

I understand and share their concerns, as he has been locked down with hundreds of other recruits, and could be carrying the virus without knowing it. Naturally, he's not exactly thrilled at my plan to book him a hotel room for a fortnight before laying down the welcome mat!

Does anyone know whether self-isolation is compulsory in these circumstances. I vaguely remember reading a news report to this effect a while ago, but an internet search for the source has proved fruitless.

Edited by Krataiboy

24 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

My son's imminent discharge from his national service has presented us with a problem. Neighbours have suggested he need to quarantine for two weeks before rejoining us in the family home.

I understand and share their concerns, as he has been locked down with hundreds of other recruits, and could be carrying the virus without knowing it. Naturally, he's not exactly thrilled at my plan to book him a hotel room for a fortnight before laying down the welcome mat!

Does anyone know whether self-isolation is compulsory in these circumstances. I vaguely remember reading a news report to this effect a while ago, but an internet search for the source has proved fruitless.

With respect and being serious - ask yourself if you're willing to embrace him home and take the risk (quite high in a hundreds plus close-knit service community) of the whole family contracting the disease. If you choose the latter, I hope you don't get infected and pass it on to the neighbours... who sound as though they'll probably run you and family out of town.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stephenterry said:

With respect and being serious - ask yourself if you're willing to embrace him home and take the risk (quite high in a hundreds plus close-knit service community) of the whole family contracting the disease. If you choose the latter, I hope you don't get infected and pass it on to the neighbours... who sound as though they'll probably run you and family out of town.

You're right, of course. I've insisted he stay on his ownsome for a couple of weeks (albiet just round the corner) rather than risk infecting us and the rest of the soi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

You need to put your foot down

Surely he can see that his selfishness could kill somebody??

19 hours ago, wasabi said:

I hate to say it but countrywide adoption of social distancing practiced 24 hours a day is not going to happen here. There will always be large groups who think it doesn't apply to them, or that the virus isn't going to bother them while they sneak in a few quick meetups. Unless they have a close family or friend who gets the virus they'll think it won't effect them, and even then they might not. This brings us to the crossroads. Is herd immunity a better alternative to shutting down the economy while people social distance? Given the low death rates so far I would argue the answer may be yes. It is likely that herd immunity is well underway already since the Chinese have had such a large presence for the duration of the virus spreading.

Spot on

The figures are not to be trusted ,due to lack of testing and cover ups etc .What i would like to see is figures for last years total deaths month by month ,against this years with the virus   in comparison .Does anyone know where i could get that ?

10 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

You need to put your foot down

Surely he can see that his selfishness could kill somebody??

He's now alone in his hotel room. All I have to do now is keep this information away from his girlfriend!

A post using content from an unapproved YouTube source has been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown.

Just getting their act together might help a tad...

For example, Ramathibodi hospital cancelled physical appointments, said they'll do it online and send meds to houses.

Then they updated, forget the online appointment, just send the medication.

Then they said someone mis-typed the address (seriously messed it up) so someone needs to visit the hospital to re-register the address. When asked if we could update the address without physically travelling to the hospital, my wife simply added the comment 'cannot, it is government hospital'.

<deleted>. Stay home, but the hospital will call you into the most densely populated COVID area because they can't update an address by phone, or email, or text...

So whilst we appreciate the Government are a bunch of  bumbling idiots, we have to also appreciate that the whole infrastructure is also made up of similar bumbling idiots - just visit a Thai school and you'll find out why.

Edited by ben2talk

On 4/11/2020 at 8:52 PM, Franky Farangsonpha said:

Banning alcohol, except on the hands then. Since it is so very aggressive to the lungs they say, shouldn't they maybe ban cigarettes?

Cigarettes should be banned. Some people made some sort of conspiracy connection to last years vaping deaths and the present virus by the way. We need cleaner air everywhere! Also they should jail the people burning their fields, garbage and other stuff for five years during this period.