Favipiravir to be distributed to hospitals around Thailand

snoop1130

Favipiravir to be distributed to hospitals around Thailand

211711606417656a19c5c7bfd1301a7f_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Even though there is still no vaccine nor official treatment for the coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19, doctors in many countries have reported successful treatments using existing drugs, one of which is Favipiravir. Thailand has already received 100,000 Favipiravir tablets which will be distributed to hospitals.

The Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) ordered the 100,000 Favipiravir tablets from China, and plans to administer them to COVID-19 patients in serious condition.

The GPO’s Deputy Managing Director Sirikul Metheveerungsun, said today the GPO now has this delivery of Favipiravir tablets at its warehouse, preparing to distribute them to hospitals across the country.

A task force has been set up, chaired by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) secretary general, and the GPO Managing Director as the vice-chair. This task force is responsible for the allocation of the drug to hospitals as appropriate.

The GPO Managing Director Withoon Danwiboon, said today the Ministry of Public Health had already received 87,000 Favipiravir tablets, which have already been distributed to hospitals.

The tablets were purchased from a Chinese company, which manufactures the drug under license from a Japanese company.

In late March, the GPO placed an additional order for 200,000 tablets from China and Japan, expecting to receive a total of 287,000 tablets in April. 515 patients with COVID-19 have so far been given this drug in Thailand. The GPO will be placing new orders continuously to maintain the inventory of this drug for treatment.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-04-09

14 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

And how about the widely used combo of Hydroxychloroquine, Azythromycen & Zinc?

Is this being used to treat patients in Thailand?  If it is then hospital admissions, especially ICU, would be reduced

by a large margin.

I think you'll find that this is appearing to help in mild cases only hence the impact on icu's would be stopping mild cases turn severe. Also people with heart and liver disease cannot take this cocktail because of the hydroxychloroquine. Also doseage is still unknown as trials are underway.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

US sent the Gilead drug Remdesivir to China to help with their Wuhan virus, Mo the ago, China re-patented the drug in China under a different name, and now claim variants of the China patented Remdesivir are now theirs, to export to countries like Thailand, and act like creepy fake saviors, just another fake story from Han China, which hardly any one with noticing in Thailand

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

should not take paracetamol till you have 38.5 C or more ... but off course,the cutoff now is 37.5 C to start to swallow ...  the fever part is the body's immune system fighting something off... killing that, is reducing your chances

A study I just read, speak about the chloroquine, why it works ? same as malaria, the parasite go eat your red blood cells, destroy them ... it is the HEME that leaks out of the cell that is causing a cytokine storm and people don't get enough oxygen to their organs and they start to fail...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

I was amazed to read that in the UK, the current Chief Medical Officer said that the only things allowed to be used in UK hospitals to treat Covid 19 patients is Paracetamol & in extreme cases, Oxygen.

I am not surprised. I suspect the CMO has turned his nose up to anything that has not gone through a controlled medical study, much like, Dr. Anthony Fauci, alluded to when President Trump brought up the treatment.  That's what happens when the bureaucracy is making the decisions. They must follow the rules.

I just read the rest of NoBrainer's post.  Yes, some Doctors are just stupid because the bureaucracy protects them.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
Added more text
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, justin case said:

should not take paracetamol till you have 38.5 C or more ... but off course,the cutoff now is 37.5 C to start to swallow ...  the fever part is the body's immune system fighting something off... killing that, is reducing your chances

A study I just read, speak about the chloroquine, why it works ? same as malaria, the parasite go eat your red blood cells, destroy them ... it is the HEME that leaks out of the cell that is causing a cytokine storm and people don't get enough oxygen to their organs and they start to fail...

see my post #8

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Another drug that has shown effectiveness for Covid-19.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/04/hiv-drug-that-treats-coronavirus-moving-to-phase-2-trials/

Has not even had phase 3 trials yet

I guees desperate times call for desperate measures

Unfortunate;y I recall the rush to use AZT in the earlier days of HIV, the doses they used then caused more damage and hastened death on many patients

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Has not even had phase 3 trials yet

I guees desperate times call for desperate measures

Unfortunate;y I recall the rush to use AZT in the earlier days of HIV, the doses they used then caused more damage and hastened death on many patients

$24,000 (current market pricing)

18 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

Is this being used to treat patients in Thailand?  If it is then hospital admissions, especially ICU, would be reduced

by a large margin.

I was amazed to read that in the UK, the current Chief Medical Officer said that the only things allowed to be used in UK hospitals to treat Covid 19 patients is Paracetamol & in extreme cases, Oxygen.

I think somebody should be strung up on the nearest tree. it's no wonder their fatality rate is so high.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 7.38.45 PM.jpg

I had almost 3 years fighting for my mum in the uk to get decent drugs. First visit, expected fatal pneumonia as doc said, only basic amoxicillin. I had to fight so hard for the best recommended antibiotic for that, as was told it needed a lot of procedures. And that was well established best treatment as stated by the NHS.

When she was dying 2 years later from aspirational pneumonia due to progressive bulbar palsy, they took basic oxygen thro the nose away coz they needed it for somewhere else and they had few machines.

They were big on giving her paracetamol for her extreme distress.

That is only the tip of the iceberg.

So knew, there was going to be a treatment disaster in the uk.

4 hours ago, humbug said:

US sent the Gilead drug Remdesivir to China to help with their Wuhan virus, Mo the ago, China re-patented the drug in China under a different name, and now claim variants of the China patented Remdesivir are now theirs, to export to countries like Thailand, and act like creepy fake saviors, just another fake story from Han China, which hardly any one with noticing in Thailand

do you have a link where i can read more about this?  have they already started to manufacture and export?

all the articles i've seen appeared about the same time.  looks like some wuhan institute wanted to apply for a patent on the use of the drug (can they patent a therapy?) under license from gilead.  i think gilead already has the patent on that drug in china, approved in 2016.

this possibly outdated articles says brightgene has developed a generic version and is preparing to mass produce, but is waiting for approval from gilead.  article is from mid-feb, so situation may have changed.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma-asia/chinese-firm-copies-gilead-s-remdesivir-most-promising-drug-against-new-coronavirus

Edited by ChouDoufu

19 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

by a large margin.

I think somebody should be strung up on the nearest tree. it's no wonder their fatality rate is so high.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 7.38.45 PM.jpg

I have correspondence from the UK saying that they are indeed using these drugs and that this is fake news. Personally I have no idea but would welcome a link to the original announcement

20 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

Is this being used to treat patients in Thailand?

Hospitals are using it's cheaper and more toxic older cousin, chloroquine. 

39 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

I have correspondence from the UK saying that they are indeed using these drugs and that this is fake news. Personally I have no idea but would welcome a link to the original announcement

I really do hope that you are correct, that they are using them, but something tells me that the UK bureaucrats are pretty left wing, and would prefer to let people die, than do anything out of the ordinary.

I can only tell you that it came from the Telegraph, a UK newspaper, but has been repeated in other news outlets.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2020/04/04/lettersbritain-needs-reassurance-curbs-liberty-wont-last-indefinitely/

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/04/07/delingpole-boris-johnson-may-be-denied-chloroquine/

The first one has a Paywall but you can get a free trail if you really want to read it.

5 hours ago,  surfinglife said: 

I'm one of the lucky survivors of COVID 19, was treated in Thailand with a coctail of paracetamol,  Favipiravir, hydrochloroquine, zinc and antibiotic. It obviously did the job, recovered quickly and fully. The countries which are proctrastrinating with the use of proven antiviral drugs are playing God IMHO. Stay safe eveybody, I don't wish COVID on anybody, nasty stuff.

5 hours ago, LordSomchai said:

That is the cocktail that my Missus was put on as well, and she has recovered from being very sick to very well in the space of 2 weeks. I am very grateful for the excellent care provided by Chula Hospital

Very reassuring to hear that Thailand is using the correct therapies, as this will give anyone that needs it a very good fighting chance, especially if it is administered early on.

6 hours ago, Grusa said:

Yes I read this a few days ago, a very easy to understand article of the latest assumptions of how the virus operates.

The big takeaway for people that don't take the time to read it, is it is not your lungs that are being attacked by the virus, it is your red blood cells.

So don't get put on a ventilator as it will cause more damage, just get oxygen therapy, and of course the drug combination mentioned earlier in this thread.

I have also seen this repeated in a few interviews with Dr.'s and other videos online.

Here is another great video to watch.

Search for "Perspectives on the Pandemic | Professor Knut Wittkowski"   on you tube

Will give you a lot more useful info

Edited by NoBrainer

6 hours ago, surfinglife said:

I'm one of the lucky survivors of COVID 19, was treated in Thailand with a coctail of paracetamol,  Favipiravir, hydrochloroquine, zinc and antibiotic. It obviously did the job, recovered quickly and fully. The countries which are proctrastrinating with the use of proven antiviral drugs are playing God IMHO. Stay safe eveybody, I don't wish COVID on anybody, nasty stuff.

Congratulations on surviving.

Was just wondering if you had any idea on the cost of your hospital stay and treatment? My insurance runs out in just over 30 days and I am really worried about being able to get a renewal. If I'm unable to get that, just looking to plan on how much money might be needed to cover treatment and care.

Many Thanks.

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In no country is it having that effect.

And yes, it is used in Thailand. Many countries are using it. but no grossly apparent result. . This does not rule out the possibility that there will be a small statistical advantage to its use once the data is in. But it is clearly not the miracle drug some people are assuming. They use it in China early on. Still had ICUs overflowing an many deaths.

Hi Sheryl

I thought that you might chime in here at some point. As you say, I do agree that there is not enough data to make any definitive assumptions yet.  From the perspective of an educated guess, it looks promising in some patients.

The one thing that has really been tweaking my interest, and maybe you may have some insight into this, is that there is a certain % of the population that are asymptomatic, and another sizable % of people that experience very mild symptoms.

Is there any studies to determine what is different about these 2 groups of people, compared to people that have vary serious symptoms, and are ending up in ICU?

Of course there is things such as age, smoking, or other pre-existing or underlying health issues that lead to a weakened immune response, but what i am talking about is things like Blood Type, Genetic make-up Etc.

Something that could be used to sort people into different risk groups for the severity of an infection, based on known parameters.

I have not found any information regarding what is different about the people that are asymptomatic, compared to people that experience serious symptoms?

Edited by NoBrainer
  • Like 1

All in all: there is no clinivsl aprove of any of these medications are helpful in case of covit 19 infections!!!!! So l any kind of medical cocktails are not proofed and be aware of all the side effects you can die!!

It's just to make people calm down and suggest them as there is help for them. But it's no!

• Like 2

Just now, Sheryl said:

Blood type will not have anything to do with it.

Genetics are a very complex, expensive  and time consuming thing to study.

Epidemologic studies are the first line of approach. We know that age and underlying health conditions are a big factor.

it is possible that use of certain medications (for other reasons, on daily basis) may play a role, but that will take longer to determine as someone has to go through detailed patient records to find that. Also being investigated is possible role of BCG immunization in childhood.

One big difficulty is that while data is available for people with serious infections, by definition it is not as much available for the mild cases - they don't get hospitalized and many do not even get identified. It will not be until there has been widespread antibody testing of the general public that enough asymptomatic/mild cases will be available to study. These studies are going to take a few years, it is a big job.

With any infectious disease the size of the initial innoculation affects severity i.e. people that get a large dose of the virus will be sicker than those who come into contact with a smaller amount. This is why health care workers are so especially vulnerable.