BANGKOK
fvw53

Did the "wai" save Thailand from worse?

4 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

persons meeting each other provide evidence that they have no  weapon in their hand

same origin for the wai... w/2 hands pressed together you can hold no weapon... the handshake doesn't quite accomplish that... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Berkshire said:

It's a silly tradition that needs to go away.  I don't want to touch a stranger and they shouldn't want touch me. 

I had a friend who always wanted to shake hands and he was never quite well and his hands were always moist, cold and sort of clammy... 

There are other people who seem to like to touch my arm a lot when we talk. This I also find very uncomfortable. I used to think that it was a subtle "control" mechanism but one friend offered that it might be an attempt to feel connected... any idea?

14 hours ago, fvw53 said:

and I thought that the "wai" might be a factor.

Provided that those "wai"-ing each other were at least 2 metres apart, then most definitely, I would have thought.

• Like 2

A thought crossed my mind that it wasnt going to be so serious when i saw the Covid-19 ( Insurance ) they rolled out at a low premium of less than 1000b-2000b per year for all including foreigners .

Based on my theory they wouldnt give us such a low premium if it was to be used or maxed out ( using the retirement nonsense we are witnessing) 

Anyhow hope it ends soon eitherway 

7 hours ago, fvw53 said:

This "hand shake" tradition is rooted in a very old European custom whereby persons meeting each other provide evidence that they have no  weapon in their hand and that the meeting will be peaceful. I think it was a Viking custom because even the Romans said only "Ave" while raising their empty hand.

True dat!!

30 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

THe really big thing that will help in Thailand appears to be the climate not being conducive to high levels of transferance (as per reported words of experts in the Financial Times and elsewhere).

That said, all bets are off in air conditioned rooms where the temperature is lowered to 13 degrees and the air is super dry.

Agree with that, but 13 degrees...where?

The electricity bill must be something.

Otherwise, it's not only the wai, but Thai people generally don't hold each other hands, and don't display marks of affection in public.

Meanwhile, in the US, there is much worse than the handshake, it is called hugging.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I had a friend who always wanted to shake hands and he was never quite well and his hands were always moist, cold and sort of clammy... 

There are other people who seem to like to touch my arm a lot when we talk. This I also find very uncomfortable. I used to think that it was a subtle "control" mechanism but one friend offered that it might be an attempt to feel connected... any idea?

Quite a few times I have had to tell Thai men not to put their hands on me after brushing them away. Any male touching me makes me uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The virus hasn't really hit Thailand and I doubt that hand shaking has anything to do with it.

Edited by Deerculler
Spelling mistake.