Did the "wai" save Thailand from worse?

fvw53

4 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

persons meeting each other provide evidence that they have no  weapon in their hand

same origin for the wai... w/2 hands pressed together you can hold no weapon... the handshake doesn't quite accomplish that... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Berkshire said:

It's a silly tradition that needs to go away.  I don't want to touch a stranger and they shouldn't want touch me. 

I had a friend who always wanted to shake hands and he was never quite well and his hands were always moist, cold and sort of clammy... 

There are other people who seem to like to touch my arm a lot when we talk. This I also find very uncomfortable. I used to think that it was a subtle "control" mechanism but one friend offered that it might be an attempt to feel connected... any idea?

14 hours ago, fvw53 said:

and I thought that the "wai" might be a factor.

Provided that those "wai"-ing each other were at least 2 metres apart, then most definitely, I would have thought.

• Like 2

A thought crossed my mind that it wasnt going to be so serious when i saw the Covid-19 ( Insurance ) they rolled out at a low premium of less than 1000b-2000b per year for all including foreigners .

Based on my theory they wouldnt give us such a low premium if it was to be used or maxed out ( using the retirement nonsense we are witnessing) 

Anyhow hope it ends soon eitherway 

7 hours ago, fvw53 said:

This "hand shake" tradition is rooted in a very old European custom whereby persons meeting each other provide evidence that they have no  weapon in their hand and that the meeting will be peaceful. I think it was a Viking custom because even the Romans said only "Ave" while raising their empty hand.

True dat!!

30 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

THe really big thing that will help in Thailand appears to be the climate not being conducive to high levels of transferance (as per reported words of experts in the Financial Times and elsewhere).

That said, all bets are off in air conditioned rooms where the temperature is lowered to 13 degrees and the air is super dry.

Agree with that, but 13 degrees...where?

The electricity bill must be something.

Otherwise, it's not only the wai, but Thai people generally don't hold each other hands, and don't display marks of affection in public.

Meanwhile, in the US, there is much worse than the handshake, it is called hugging.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I had a friend who always wanted to shake hands and he was never quite well and his hands were always moist, cold and sort of clammy... 

There are other people who seem to like to touch my arm a lot when we talk. This I also find very uncomfortable. I used to think that it was a subtle "control" mechanism but one friend offered that it might be an attempt to feel connected... any idea?

Quite a few times I have had to tell Thai men not to put their hands on me after brushing them away. Any male touching me makes me uncomfortable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fvw53 said:

I think it was a Viking custom because even the Romans said only "Ave" while raising their empty hand.

and so roll forward today, where feudal society still exists

- not having to show your inside hands, means the hidden weapon stays hidden

I did put in a post some time ago that Thais are not very tactile compared to Italians, French and Spaniards who normally greet each other with a lot of contact. Up country you do not see many people even holding hands.

Well I taught my nieces' son to shake hands from when he was about 7 years old as a firm handshake is the Australian traditional greeting. Whenever we meet now he is the first one to offer his hand. All of my friends greet each other this way and will continue to do so.

Limp wristed and weak handshakes are terrible, and to be avoided. You do not know who/what you are talking to.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

I read somewhere that one of the possible treatments for the virus was a drug that

treats parasitic worms that is used quite a lot in rural Thailand due to some of the

food consumed there like the fish and crabs in the somtam and also the raw buffalo

and pork dishes.

Maybe that drug being in a lot of the local folk helps alleviate the worst reactions to the

virus. No medical reasoning behind my theory and quite possibly a load of old tosh!!

As of right now, it's as good as any other hypothesis going around. The trick is to have a double blind test on two populations to test the theory.

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The heat, the sun, the comparatively low population density. This last part is very important and would explain why Indonesia, despite being just as hot and sunny, has more of a problem. It is also what has been NY's undoing.

And just possibly the high level of BCG vaccination - this last is under investigation after epidemiologists found that countries with routine BCG vaccination appeared to have vastly lower infection rates. Still needs to be confirmed by controlling for other factors, but quite intriguing.

Interesting. I've had BCG treatment for bladder cancer, is that the same? I promise not to go dancing in the streets.

I think the Wai is one reason for less infection but also look at the countries having large infection in Europe. Italy---a lot of kissing hugging especialy to your elders    Spain a lot of kissing hugging    France---more of same   Germany not so much kissing hugging

I definitely think that handshake and * la bise*,  kissing on left and right cheeks, has made the virus situation worse. Spain , Italy and lots of south Europeans are kissing each other every day, all the time. I live in France, usually walking down the road you’d usually meet half a dozen people who will *faire la bise*.  Being British, I usually try to get out of this as much as I can, sometimes for ex.you go to a party or dinner and you end up having to kiss every bloody person there ! I walk in, put up my hand , and say hi everybody . No wonder that the virus spread so fast in these countries. 

On the other hand, the scientists say it’s nothing to do with heat or weather conditions, whether there is less or more contagion. What does make a difference is when it’s cold, damp , and generally bad weather ( winter) people cough and sneeze more, and viruses are spread easily. You don’t see much influenza in summer for example.

15 hours ago, kenk24 said:

same origin for the wai... w/2 hands pressed together you can hold no weapon... the handshake doesn't quite accomplish that... 

It has nothng to do with weapons. It is as old as one of the oldest civilzations. Excavations for Indus Valley Civilization have revealed many male and female terracotta figures in Namaste posture. These archaeological findings are dated to be between 3000 BCE to 2000 BCE. It has migrated with Indian religions through out the SE asia and as far back as Japan and China where there is evidence of strong Indian religions. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Like 1

I agree, the numbers are lower in Thailand because Thais do not like to touch each other very much.  Only time will tell, but I can understand why some locals are blaming foreigners because of handshakes, hugs etc. 

15 hours ago, kenk24 said:

There are other people who seem to like to touch my arm a lot when we talk. This I also find very uncomfortable. I used to think that it was a subtle "controld/oraffection." mechanism but one friend offered that it might be an attempt to feel connected... any idea?

Just a gesture of friendship and/or affection. I tend to do it occasionally (with a smile) if I am trying to subtly criticize with a joke something bad or innappropriate that someone has said or done. Just a touch to say 'I still like/love you anyway' you stupid *@##*! ????.

• Thanks 1