Did the "wai" save Thailand from worse?

fvw53

On 4/10/2020 at 8:08 AM, kenk24 said:

I had a friend who always wanted to shake hands and he was never quite well and his hands were always moist, cold and sort of clammy... 

There are other people who seem to like to touch my arm a lot when we talk. This I also find very uncomfortable. I used to think that it was a subtle "control" mechanism but one friend offered that it might be an attempt to feel connected... any idea?

That's funny, I hate clammy hands too. And people for some reason always want to put their arm around my shoulders. I read in a psychology book that this is an attempt to establish dominance.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 7:15 PM, Berkshire said:

Dr. Fauci is correct.  Having been in Thailand for 15+ years, I've grown to appreciate the "wai" as opposed to the western handshake.  But every time a visitor from the west comes, they want to shake my hand.  I'm pretty fit physically and rarely get sick any more.  But the few times that I've gotten sick, it's because of the handshake with some western visitor!  It's a silly tradition that needs to go away.  I don't want to touch a stranger and they shouldn't want touch me.  Thank you COVID!

That Dr Fauci pal is a traitor !!  He was trying to stop America from banning Chinese people in January this year !  Seems he's good friend with that Ethiopian loser who is the chief of the WHO and who was appointed by the Chinese COMMUNISTS who <deleted> the West with this Corona <deleted> !
Oh and BTW that nutbag is NOT even a doctor ! Nuff said ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HOOD Robin said:

That Dr Fauci pal is a traitor !!  He was trying to stop America from banning Chinese people in January this year !  Seems he's good friend with that Ethiopian loser who is the chief of the WHO and who was appointed by the Chinese COMMUNISTS who <deleted> the West with this Corona <deleted> !
Oh and BTW that nutbag is NOT even a doctor ! Nuff said ?

I tip my hat ..sir splendid !!

4 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I have reconfirmed what I had learned earlier. The "wai" was evolved from the Indian greeting "namesti". It is a recognition of the equal soul being greeted. I have found no reference to having any military reference such as that of demonstrating not having a weapon which has been cited in the western tradition of offering to shake hands. I do remember my early Eagle Scout training of offering the Scout handshake, given with the left hand. I believe we were taught that this was the predominant hand for holding a shield. Thus, again a western tradition of letting the greeted person know you came in peace.

Agree, but it has to be said, joining your palms shows you're not having weapons as well.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:43 PM, shy coconut said:

I read somewhere that one of the possible treatments for the virus was a drug that

treats parasitic worms that is used quite a lot in rural Thailand due to some of the

food consumed there like the fish and crabs in the somtam and also the raw buffalo

and pork dishes.

Maybe that drug being in a lot of the local folk helps alleviate the worst reactions to the

virus. No medical reasoning behind my theory and quite possibly a load of old tosh!!

i think imbibe alcohol as a means to suppress covid19 might be worth research

On 4/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, fvw53 said:

The leading coronavirus expert in the USA Dr Anthony Fauci says people should 'just forget about shaking hands' even after the coronavirus threat is over.

Social conditioning.  He's a moron with an agenda.  Ignore him and others like him.  The next thing you'll be told is not to interact with your family members.  

• Like 1