Phuket officials to launch islandwide door-to-door checks for COVID-19

snoop1130

15 hours ago, Inn Between said:

It seems to me that this approach could add more to the spread of covid rather than helping. If they are going door to door having some type of close contact with people and their homes, doesn't that create the potential to carry the virus to the next person when they'd make contact with someone who is not showing symptoms but has the virus? If there are 3000 volunteers running around from house to house, I can see the possibility of some problems with this approach. 

Not if the process is quick and hands-off. The Singaporean contact-tracing protocol is to trace all people who were close to a carrier for 15 minutes or more. Transient passings are of no concern. The same is true of Taiwan's protocol. 

The message from countries that have excelled at containment is Test, Test, Test. Obviously the testers can't be carriers - that would be... what's the word? Bad.

21 minutes ago, SymS said:

Those IR thermometers look familiar... Are they the ones where the sensor head is not attached? ????

Been in use here in Phuket for over a week now at all the grocery shops and 7s. Seem to work Ok if used correctly, 

3 hours ago, Greg O said:

Well it's confirmed, they're totally and completely delusional, always have to be the laughing stock of the planet ! Why not do something positive like pay the people who are able bodied and willing to collect the rubbish alongside the roads.

Too much time on their hands ! 

Yuk,yuk ..

well said that man

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Why is it so difficult for these thais to understand that temperature checks do nothing to tell if you have coronavirus.. It only can be first warning that the coronavirus has been inside you for the previous 2 to 14 days. By the time they find you with fever. You could have infected 50 others. 

Temperature checks all the time seems to work in other countries. So why would it not work here?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A nonsensical waste of time and resources that would be better spent doing proper contact tracing.

Temperature checks? I think it does make sense in supermarkets or at airports, if only to discourage people who have a fever from going there. But going door to door is nonsensical, many spreaders don't even have fever in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having 3,000 people go door to door moving from potentially infected households to healthy ones will more likely spread the virus than contain it, What will be the safety protocols of the workers checking temperatures? Will they all have been tested for covid? Testing is the key. Checking temperatures is not really testing, especially with all the asymptomatic carriers. While checking temperatures at public places can be helpful, it doesn't make sense to go door to door to do this when you are trying to get people to stay at home and practice social distancing.

When will Thailand find the funds to have an inexpensive testing program which minimizes contacts between people getting tested and the rest of society?

• Thanks 1

If the thermometers are cheap, then they might not be all that useful. My temperature the other day was apparently 34C according to a supermarket fellow. I may be walking dead but his only concern was the virus so I was waved through.    

16 hours ago, Chalong circle said:

Me too. but actually a bit concerned by the variations every 5 minutes from one shop to the other...

Me too. The most astonishing was yesterday at Tesco: 32.1 ° ????

A far easier method would be for everybody in Thailand to make a phone video of themselves and their family having temperature checks at home utilizing thermometers that most forward thinking homes have.

These can then be uploaded to a government website that has enough capacity.

It will be foolproof and nothing could possibly go wrong.

Rooster

• Haha 2

I am not Chinese. But I can read some word on the photo of first page.
On the box, I can see "红外■温计". (I can not read "■" part.)
This is simplified Chinese.

"紅外" should mean "infrared".
"■温计" should mean "thermometer".

Apparently, these came from China mainland.
Here, I do not say it is good or not. Just one fact.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Get over it- this is nothing to do with Immigration.

Comments about the cars were boring months ago- hence my signature.

Do you see any mention of immigration in my post. I only mentioned a BMW, you put 2 & 2 together and got 5. ????

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Phuket will be the first province in the country to launch door-to-door checks of residents’ body temperatures in the hope of identifying infected people early and prevent the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.

According to science, 8 out 10 Covid-19 positives don't have fewer, and hardly any symptoms.

• Like 1